Thread: Does PTel prevent Blocked/Restricted Numbers from being received??

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Does PTel prevent Blocked/Restricted Numbers from being received??

I am having an issue with being able to receive calls on my PTel number from someone calling from a phone line that is a Private/Restricted number. So I have a question: Does PTel service automatically prevent blocked/restricted-number calls from being received? I have someone who can only call me from a number that is a Private Number (and, to my knowledge, this can not be changed) and whenever they try to call my PTel cell number, they instantly get a busy-like signal. It's not the typical "busy signal," it's a faster-paced sound that is similar to a normal busy signal. And they will not even get the line to ring at all; it goes directly to the "busy" sound.

I am assuming/guessing that PTel is preventing the number from going through to my cell phone - so if this is the case, can I do anything to change it so that blocked/restricted numbers can be received?

Or, did I possibly select some sort of option that is rejecting restricted numbers?

Also, FWIW, I just called my PTel number from my home phone and I dialed #67 before dialing out, to make my home phone number private, and the call went through and showed up on my PTel cell phone as "Private number." So, I am guessing it has something to do with a line that is actually officially blocked/restricted.

This is very important to me, because this problem is preventing me from being able to receive calls from a family member. I was even physically at the place yesterday and had them try to call my PTel number while I was standing in the room, and the line they called me on basically immediately got the busy-like sound after they tried to call my PTel number. And this has happened multiple times over the past week or two, so this person is unable to call me on my cell phone.

If anyone has any ideas, please know that some help with this would really be appreciated! Thank you!!
    - AzAssassin, a.k.a. BillyJackAz

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just have them dial *82 when they call you. That will temporarily disable to number block.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521 via the HowardForums WP8 App
    LG Nexus 4 - T-Mobile (postpaid)
    Nokia Lumia 521 - T-Mobile (prepaid)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sprint (via Ting)
    ZTE Valet - Verizon (via Tracfone)
    Apple iPad 2 - WiFi only

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SBdunks View Post
    Just have them dial *82 when they call you. That will temporarily disable to number block.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521 via the HowardForums WP8 App
    I appreciate the suggestion; but, as I stated, there is not an option of them being able to (even temporarily) un-block the number they are calling from. It is a private facility where an access code must be used to make outgoing calls.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, though. And other ideas/suggestions will be appreciated.

Carrier
    Tmobile Pay As You Go
    Feedback Score
    I have received calls from private numbers on Pel. So no they don't block. I guess YMMV.
    This friend is on ATT wireless and it displays as Private on CallerID.

This is one of those things where a call to Ptel CS may help. It could be their system or who knows..

Feedback Score
    Do you have another phone you could put your sim card in and then have them call you, to see if it is something to do with your phone settings??

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score
    I am going to guess that this is from a jail or prison or other similar facility. They are making an outbound collect call and there is no way that prepaid cell phones can handle such a call?

Feedback Score
    I would expect any mvno's to have very efficient cost structure.. i.e., cheap..

Those call blocking would be something extra.. I would seriously doubt Ptel would do that for you for free...

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    I am going to guess that this is from a jail or prison or other similar facility. They are making an outbound collect call and there is no way that prepaid cell phones can handle such a call?
    That would be a good guess. It is in regards to calls placed from a facility like a jail, but not exactly a jail. And, it is not a collect call, just a call from a line that is blocked/private and requires an access code to be able to make an outgoing call on.

And in response to the person who said trying my SIM card in a different phone, I have the same issue with 2 of my PTel phones that I've had to try to receive these calls on. My phone is an HTC One S and the other phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 and both of them have the exact same problem, the person trying to call from a blocked number instantly gets a busy signal sound.

Thank you very much to all of you who have posted replies. I will definitely try to contact PTel Customer Support about this. I did post a question about this on PTel's Facebook page, but at last checked, I had not received a response yet. If I get one, I will be sure to update this thread.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_curious View Post
    I would expect any mvno's to have very efficient cost structure.. i.e., cheap..

Those call blocking would be something extra.. I would seriously doubt Ptel would do that for you for free...
    What I meant to say here was it maybe a T-mobile issue, and Ptel may not have any control over it...

Anyways, hopefully you can resolve your issue soon..

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AzAssassin View Post
    That would be a good guess. It is in regards to calls placed from a facility like a jail, but not exactly a jail. And, it is not a collect call, just a call from a line that is blocked/private and requires an access code to be able to make an outgoing call on.

And in response to the person who said trying my SIM card in a different phone, I have the same issue with 2 of my PTel phones that I've had to try to receive these calls on. My phone is an HTC One S and the other phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 and both of them have the exact same problem, the person trying to call from a blocked number instantly gets a busy signal sound.

Thank you very much to all of you who have posted replies. I will definitely try to contact PTel Customer Support about this. I did post a question about this on PTel's Facebook page, but at last checked, I had not received a response yet. If I get one, I will be sure to update this thread.

Sent with the HoFo App
    This may sound like a dumb question, but have they been able to place a call to any other number? Or any other cell number? Could they be restricted to a local call (same area code)? The facility might prevent long distance calls (old concept, I know).

Feedback Score
    I second the above suggestion.

Traditionally, the "fast busy" meant "the network is unable to complete the connection" [e.g. a trunk line busy or down due to local calamity] rather than relating to the individual destination number, as the slow busy did. It can still be heard when dialing into disaster regions.

Institutions often have PBXs (or modern equivalent) and may assign that sound locally to signal any similar inability to connect