Thread: Locked T-Mobile phone on straight talk

Feedback Score

Locked T-Mobile phone on straight talk

I am a current Sraight Talk customer.I brought my own phone and use an unlocked palm pre. I read on the ST website that T-mobile phones could be used on ST so I just bought a brand new T-mobile Nokia Lumia 521 for a really great deal only to place my current ST sim in it and find out it does not work. I got a message that my sim would only work on specific networks, to contact customer service for the unlock code and that I had 10 chances left.

I contacted the ST support and told them this. They told me all I had to do was buy a ST T-mobile compatible sim for the new locked T-mobile phone and it would work just fine.They said I can keep my current number too . I just want to confirm this with you here.I called customer service to buy a sim and the tech guy had me all confused. Im not sure if he knew what he was talking about. He told me the phone had to be unlocked first before I buy the t-mobile compatable sim or it would NOT work.

I am unable to get an unlock code from t-mobile because I am not a current customer. If I buy the straight talk t-mobile sim will it work on a locked t-mobile phone or not?

Thanks

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    the phone would not be telling you that if it saw your sim as tmobile. do not mess around with the 10 limit, its a hard limit. it sounds like it must be unlocked

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The Original Poster apparently had an AT&T SIM card at first. A T-Mobile SIM card should work with no problems in a locked T-Mobile telephone.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The Original Poster apparently had an AT&T SIM card at first. A T-Mobile SIM card should work with no problems in a locked T-Mobile telephone.
    You are right, I currently do use an att sim card in an unlocked palm pre phone. I just bought a T-mobile compatable sim card from straight talk to use in my new t-mobile locked phone. Another thing that just dawned on me is this, T-mobile does not provide coverage to the rural area I live in which is why I did not want to to switch to them.Att works flawless here though and it was my understanding that my straight talk att sim used att towers which explains why I continued to have good coverge when I switched from ATT to straight talk.

Is it possible that when I receive the T-mobile sim card I just ordered from straight talk that I will lose my good coverage or not have service at my home at all with this new sim? No sure how this works or what towers they use. I just know the T-mobile coverage map did not have service where I live at all.

Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Yes the T-Mobile sim will get you on T-Mobile's network and you'll have bad coverage. If I were you I would not activate the new sim, keep the at&t sim, and buy an unlock code on eBay.

Edit: Is there any way you can return the phone and get the 520? That's at&t's version of the same phone. It will work with your current sim.
    Last edited by oldnoob; 07-26-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    before doing this make sure you have good tmo coverage in your area.

Feedback Score
    I was considering buying an unlock code but thought it was it was illegal.This would be the easiest thing for me to do if i knew I would not get into trouble. I wonder if its too late for me to cancel my order for the T-mobile sim.

Feedback Score
    I am thinking of buying a used TMO Galaxy s3 to use with ST. Any advice? I do no want to use TMO for my carrier. No service in my area.

Phones
    Samsung x427m
    Nokia 6590i
    Ericsson T28
    Carrier
    Cingular for 8 yrs;
    Feedback Score
    Amy, I think this thread pretty well lays out your options.
    Read above.
    If you can get the existing Tmo owner to have Tmobile unlock it, you're sittin' pretty.
    Otherwise . . .
    now with H2O, after Straight Talk LTE sim debacle 4th Quarter 2013.
    Currently on locked AT&T iPhone 4S. (backup: iPhone 4)
    iOS: 7.1.2, carrier: AT&T 16.0 , modem: 5.2.00 , Data & MMS just fine.
    Previously at: iOS 6.1.3, carrier 14.2, modem 3.4.03 .