Phones
    unlocked at&t Samsung S3 mini
    unlocked at&t Samsung S3 mini
    Carrier
    StraightTalk at&t
    Feedback Score

TracFone, Walmart sued over unlimited data service

Surprize!

Law360, Los Angeles (July 25, 2013, 6:39 PM ET) -- TracFone Wireless Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. were hit with a proposed class action in California federal court Wednesday by consumers who say the companies falsely advertise their “Straight Talk” cellphone plans as providing unlimited data service when they do not.

Wal-Mart and TracFone co-founded Straight Talk in 2009, and since that time they have continuously advertised unlimited data service plans, according to the suit. Plaintiffs David Hansel, Edward Tooley and Christopher Valdez, on behalf of others similarly situated, say they and other Straight Talk subscribers...

http://www.law360.com/productliabili...d-data-service

Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ljfnky View Post
    Surprize!

Law360, Los Angeles (July 25, 2013, 6:39 PM ET) -- TracFone Wireless Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. were hit with a proposed class action in California federal court Wednesday by consumers who say the companies falsely advertise their “Straight Talk” cellphone plans as providing unlimited data service when they do not.

Wal-Mart and TracFone co-founded Straight Talk in 2009, and since that time they have continuously advertised unlimited data service plans, according to the suit. Plaintiffs David Hansel, Edward Tooley and Christopher Valdez, on behalf of others similarly situated, say they and other Straight Talk subscribers...

http://www.law360.com/productliabili...d-data-service
    why do I gotta provide log in info to view the article in the link provided. it should be free 4 all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    gotta be a corporate email too. we been expecting this. west coast beat the south?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    And so it begins...
    iPhone 5 !!

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpineDoc View Post
    And so it begins...
    About time

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    i hope these guys know what their doing. i would love to read the interrogatories. those questions are really important. i wonder if they will be on lexus nexis? anyone with a subscription?

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    i hope these guys know what their doing. i would love to read the interrogatories. those questions are really important. i wonder if they will be on lexus nexis? anyone with a subscription?
    I do. They're just filing now though so discovery will be a ways off if the court even allows the case to proceed. (Unimportant, but it's actually spelled LexisNexis though that service is tranisitioning now to Lexis Advance.)

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    You an attorney?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

Carrier
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    It's interesting as ST has been advertising unlimited data for a long time but does anyone even get over 1.5gigs of data? From my understanding it's not even just dropping to slow speed but being turned off till their month is up. There is nothing unlimited about this.

Manny

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    you can have nice thing, just gotta pay for it.

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachManny View Post
    It's interesting as ST has been advertising unlimited data for a long time but does anyone even get over 1.5gigs of data? From my understanding it's not even just dropping to slow speed but being turned off till their month is up. There is nothing unlimited about this.

Manny
    CoachManny,
    the whole problem with ST/Net10 is they are not consistent with what criteria each one uses as some postings here and other treads consistently says. some gets throttled @500MB, some below that and some runs rampant and never gets dinged, so the subscriber has no way to tell whether he/she in in a safe zone. I've also seen postings that once throttled, stays throttled even after renewing the service.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachManny View Post

Manny
    it is more than just the amount of data but how you use your data/st service.the tos has in what you cannot do with your st service.might look them over.if you are using st then you have agreed to the tos.

Carrier
    Cricket, GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    it is more than just the amount of data but how you use your data/st service.the tos has in what you cannot do with your st service.might look them over.if you are using st then you have agreed to the tos.
    Stated by someone who never uses his phone for anything.

It took a lot of hogwash to reach 3000+ posts in such a short time.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.
    -- Samsung Galaxy Express 4G LTE on Cricket
    -- Samsung Galaxy Express 4G LTE on GoPhone

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    Yes, I agreed to the TOS where I can stream to my heart's content on my "native" apps -- and how the prohibition against streaming is for Straight Talk branded phones, which my Galaxy Nexus is not. Go read the TOS yourself, Cooter. Many of us have loopholes you can jump a semi-truck through, but Straight Talk STILL throttle people with non-ST branded phones. So, TOS is crap. And you know it.

IF Straight Talk would just set a clear data limit -- since it's NOT unlimited and never was -- there would be no need for badly-written, contradictory legalese in the TOS. You use the 1.5GB or whatever the monthly limit it, and that's that. You could use it how you please, all in one bender day or over the course of 30 days. State the limit and that stops 99% of the customer complaints, because there would not be a relationship based on lies, false promises and hack-written TOS.

IF Straight Talk is forced to state a data limit, service will IMPROVE and so will customer satisfaction, as then the company won't have to dedicate resources to prevent customers from using "too much" of the promised "unlimited" data. Instead they can focus on solving technical issues. This lawsuit is a good thing.

Here's the full article. Found by using Google. It's the same link as above, but the full article showed for me.

http://www.law360.com/articles/46017...d-data-service

TracFone, Wal-Mart Sued Over 'Unlimited' Data Service

By David McAfee

Wal-Mart and TracFone co-founded Straight Talk in 2009, and since that time they have continuously advertised unlimited data service plans, according to the suit. Plaintiffs David Hansel, Edward Tooley and Christopher Valdez, on behalf of others similarly situated, say they and other Straight Talk subscribers have had their supposedly unlimited data service slowed or terminated completely without warning.

The plaintiffs say the companies reduce the speed of service or terminate it altogether and then blame the subscribers for misuse of the service.

“Defendants throttle or terminate data access when subscribers near or exceed defendants' internally established, but undisclosed, data usage limits, or when defendants' wireless network partners direct defendants to do so even where subscribers' usage is below defendants' internal, undisclosed limits,” the complaint said.

“In response to complaints from the members of the proposed class, defendants routinely blame customers for 'misusing' their data service, but fail to disclose how customers allegedly misused their data plans or explain the reasons that defendants have throttled or terminated customers' data access,” it added.

After the defendants slow or stop data service to their customers, they fail to restore data access or regular data speeds unless and until subscribers' current prepaid data plans expire and subscribers purchase new Straight Talk service plans, according to the complaint.

The plaintiffs say that as a result of defendants' material misrepresentations, bad faith and unfair and unlawful conduct, the class members have suffered damages, including payment for “unlimited” data service plans, payment for Straight Talk branded and locked phones, and payment for Straight Talk SIM cards.

The plaintiffs lodged claims of breach of contract, breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing, unjust enrichment, and violations of Florida's Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, California's Unfair Competition Law and California's Consumer Legal Remedies Act.

The plaintiffs seek an order certifying the proposed class, an order permanently enjoining defendants from their improper conduct, and a judgment awarding restitution, actual damages, exemplary damages, prejudgment and post-judgment interest, attorneys' fees and costs.

Michael W. Sobol of Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein LLP, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said he's excited to prove that Straight Talk's promises were unfulfilled.

“We look forward to proving, on behalf the proposed nationwide class, that Straight Talk's promises of unlimited data went unfulfilled, and to recovering for the class the damages they have suffered as a result,” Sobol told Law360 on Thursday.

Representatives for the defendants did not immediately respond to requests for comment Thursday.

The plaintiffs are represented by Michael W. Sobol and Nicole D. Reynolds of Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein LLP, Daniel M. Hattis of Hattis Law and Cornelius P. Dukelow of Abington Cole.

Counsel information for the defendants was not immediately available.

The case is Hansel et al. v. Tracfone Wireless Inc. et al., case number 13-cv-03440, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

--Editing by Andrew Park.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast