Thread: iPhone 5 Model A1429: Unlocking and activating on VZW?

Feedback Score

iPhone 5 Model A1429: Unlocking and activating on VZW?

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can clear up some confusion and possibly help me with this problem. My mom is a C-Spire customer and I'm a Verizon customer. She purchased a full retail iPhone 5 from C-Spire in November... paid over $700 for that, the apple care and an otterbox. She now has a new GS4 and is still a C-Spire customer.

She has given me the phone and according to my research before she gave me the phone, it should work on VZW. I called Verizon and they activated my sim but the activation failed and said the phone was locked by C-Spire. It actually killed my current GS3 but the iPhone would not activate because of the error. I had to call back and get my SIM card swapped back to my old one to get my GS3 to work. According to apple.com/iphone/LTE this A1429 model will work int he US for Verizon and C-Spire.

I have called C-SPIRE, Verizon, and Apple. Everyone BUT C-Spire is saying that C-Spire has to unlock the IMEI to be used on another carrier. C-SPire refuses to release the phone even though my mom paid full retail price for it and is still a C-Spire customer in good standing with her bills paid and continuing to use the service.

I have read about IMEI unlocks but I'm not sure if this will work.. when I find sites that do it they only offer it for AT&T and Verizon. What do I need to do? Am I just SOL on getting this phone to work on Verizon? Someone please help me because I am so frustrated and upset over this that I want to scream. My GS3 is in really bad shape and my contract isn't up for renewal and a new phone until like April of next year.

Carriers
    Verizon
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    You're way better off selling that phone and purchasing a Verizon iPhone.

The order in which the phone you currently have MAY work on Verizon is:
    1. Get C-Spire to unlock it.
    2. Activate a Nano SIM.
    3. Hope that Verizon doesn't disallow activation since it wasn't a Verizon-sourced device.

It would behoove you to buy a Nano SIM adapter for your SIII. That way no matter what you do, you don't have to involve Verizon anymore once the Nano SIM is active. You just swap between phones.

Those are your only two choices. There is not a single reliable iPhone 5 Unlocking source online for this model, not to mention it is technically illegal at the moment as well, which puts it outside the rules of this forum for discussion.

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon will NEVER activate a device they did not sell themselves. I don't think simply unlocking it will give you any better results.

Carriers
    Verizon
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Verizon will NEVER activate a device they did not sell themselves. I don't think simply unlocking it will give you any better results.
    That is completely inaccurate. Sure, it may be easier to pull your own teeth than to get them to do so, but they have the Open Network program for just this reason, and they do have some devices certified that they will activate. What is unclear is whether the iPhone is part of this at this time.

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I know what could also work... take the device into an apple store and have them replace it.... My buddy had to have his Appalachian iPhone 5 (model 1429 as well) replaced due to a faulty power/lock button and when the apple store gave it to him, it said "select carrier... be sure to choose the right carrier as this cannot be undone" and he selected Appalachian... but if you could select Verizon or some other carrier after it's replaced, it should update with Verizon's carrier bundle for activation. I would think anyway.
    Current Device: Gold iPhone 5S 32 GB
    Carrier: AT&T

Tablet: iPad Air 32 GB
    Carrier: AT&T

Carriers
    Verizon
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justinkk2005 View Post
    I know what could also work... take the device into an apple store and have them replace it.... My buddy had to have his Appalachian iPhone 5 (model 1429 as well) replaced due to a faulty power/lock button and when the apple store gave it to him, it said "select carrier... be sure to choose the right carrier as this cannot be undone" and he selected Appalachian... but if you could select Verizon or some other carrier after it's replaced, it should update with Verizon's carrier bundle for activation. I would think anyway.
    The question is whether Verizon still maintains a whitelist for their network. Used to be that if they didn't have the serial number it didn't activate. I don't know what their solution is now. If it's just a phone setting like a carrier bundle then you can do it from home. It is possible that when Apple does a warranty exchange that they transmit the serial to Verizon for activation at time of service. Don't know.