Thread: U.S. Subscriber Count

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

U.S. Subscriber Count

Sprint is due to report their 2nd quarter 2013 metrics on Tuesday July 30th. This will be the first such quarterly announcement since Sprint-Nextel became 'Sprint Corp.' officially on July 10th 2013. Japanese operator Softbank's $21.6 billion purchase of 78% ownership will also inject $16 billion into Sprint over 2013/2014.

U.S. Wireless Subscriber Growth

Over the last few years 'Sprint' has dealt with an exodus of iDEN subscribers. The iDEN network shut down at the close of the 2nd quarter (June 30th) means this will no longer play a role in both Sprint's negative subscriber losses as well as it's competitor's gains. There is an intersting article from Fiercewireless on this very topic: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...own/2013-07-26

Lets take a look at the last few years.

Subscriber Growth January 1st 2011 - present

#1 Verizon

January 1st 2011 - 102.2 million total subscribers

July 1st 2013 - 116.8 million total subscribers

+14,600,000

#2 AT&T

January 1st 2011 - 95.5 million total subscribers

July 1st 2013 - 107.9 million total subscribers

+12,400,000

#3 Sprint

January 1st 2011 - 49.9 million total subscribers

July 1st 2013 - 53.6 million total subscribers

(3.8m 'Connected Devices' & Clearwire metrics not included)

+3,700,000

#4 T-Mobile

January 1st 2011 - 33.7 million total subscribers

April 1st 2013 - 34 million total subscribers

(reports 2nd qtr. metrics 8/8/13)

+300,000

#5 América Móvil

January 1st 2011 - 17.7 million total subscribers

July 1st 2013 - 23 million total subscribers

+ 5,300,000

#6 Clearwire

January 1st 2011 - 4.4 million total subscribers

April 1st 2013 - 9.4 million total subscribers

(reports 2nd qtr. metrics with Sprint)

+5,000,000

#7 MetroPCS

January 1st 2011 - 8.15 million total subscribers

April 1st 2013 - 9 million total subscribers

(2nd quarter 2013 reports with T-Mobile)

+ 850,000
    Last edited by 503ducati; 07-30-2013 at 05:47 AM.
    Sensorly --- Signal Check Pro --- Root Metrics

Bend, Oregon

Phone
    Motorola Razr HD (XT925)
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    355.3 million total subscribers in the USA.
    The US only has 313~mil pop. A whole lotta people have 2 or more devices. LoL
    (or a lot of prepaid that are used for a week or month when ppl are on vacay, and then discarded.)

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Machine to Machine numbers are part of that though they may only generate small amounts of revenue. Alarms, cars & vending machines, are some of the obvious examples.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanVS View Post
    (or a lot of prepaid that are used for a week or month when ppl are on vacay, and then discarded.)

Phone
    iPhone 5S, Nokia_Lumia_925
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile, AT&T_GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanVS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Machine to Machine numbers are part of that though they may only generate small amounts of revenue. Alarms, cars & vending machines, are some of the obvious examples.
    There are many more people in the country than the 313M official pop. count.
    In addition to those not counted, many foreign visitors to the US obtain prepaid wireless services while visiting ~ since prepaid wireless options have been the norm outside of the United States for many years now. In addition to those additional figures, many people maintain an emergency phone in their cars (usually from a carrier other than their primary line). In a sluggish economy even small amounts of recurring revenue are welcome.
    Operating Without a Contract makes you Far More Valuable.
    Everybody wants you, but Nobody can have you. ...

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    There is some double counting in there also obviously with American Movil which has no direct customers because they have no network.

I'm not sure what the inclusion of Clearwire and MetroPCS numbers mean in terms of actual numbers for Sprint and T-Mobile.

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There is some double counting in there also obviously with American Movil which has no direct customers because they have no network.

I'm not sure what the inclusion of Clearwire and MetroPCS numbers mean in terms of actual numbers for Sprint and T-Mobile.
    - Absolutely correct on América Móvil, their retail subs are wholesale subs of the host network's owner.

- Clearwire, apparently?, only has approx 300,000 wholesale WiMAX subs left via Sprint.

55.2 million - Sprint
    9.4 million - Clearwire
    ------
    64.6 million

The Clearwire acquisition has brought Sprint’s subscriber base up to 64.3 million
    Last edited by 503ducati; 07-27-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure there will be extensive details disclosed via Sprint's quarterly report Tuesday. Essentially Clearwire's wholesale and retail subs are now Sprint's. Whether Sprint intends to shutter all Clearwire retail operations remains to be seen.

Last edited by 503ducati; 07-27-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Phone
    Current: Nexus 4. Previous: Focus, Touch, Q, T637, Q105
    Carrier
    Current: ATT. Previous: Virgin, Sprint, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    IIRC, Clear has about 1-2 million retail subscribers, most of the rest of their customer base representing wholesale services for Sprint devices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    - Absolutely correct on América Móvil, their retail subs are wholesale subs of the host network's owner.

- Clearwire, apparently?, only has approx 300,000 wholesale WiMAX subs left via Sprint.

55.2 million - Sprint
    9.4 million - Clearwire
    ------
    64.6 million
    Where are you getting this? According to Clearwire's first quarter results, they had 9.4M total subscribers and 7.9M of them were wholesale subs (http://corporate.clearwire.com/relea...leaseID=759485, 1.5M being retail customers). I don't doubt that the number of WiMAX subs via Sprint has declined since the first quarter given that Sprint's flagship phones are LTE, but if those wholesale subs declined, it's extremely likely that their overall subscriber count has declined by a similar amount.

I'm sure there will be extensive details disclosed via Sprint's quarterly report Tuesday. Essentially Clearwire's wholesale and retail subs are now Sprint's. Whether Sprint intends to shutter all Clearwire retail operations remains to be seen.
    I think they'll shutter the Clearwire brand (maybe not immediately, but over the next couple years). Sprint likes their brand and wants their brand to be associated with new products. If they intend to keep doing home internet and switching it to TD-LTE, they'll want to push that as Sprint and probably want to push a "double-play" internet and wireless service (maybe even a triple or quadrouple play with home phone and maybe even satellite TV and video on demand). If they're looking to make a push in that direction, they'll want to put it under the Sprint brand. If they're going to let that home internet product languish, they won't rebrand it to Sprint, but it also won't retain customers over the next 5 years. It's not like Clearwire's coverage area is primarily places that don't have access to cable and DSL. Plus, I think Sprint has learned that it doesn't want to keep putting money into a separate legacy network.

If Sprint wanted to pursue a "keep the lights on" strategy where they spent as little as possible and disrupted no one in the short term, it makes sense to leave the Clear brand intact with its WiMAX service. I don't think that's what Sprint and SoftBank want. I think they want to be aggressive and that means creating a compelling, new product and once you're dealing in a new product, why wouldn't they just use the Sprint brand?

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Z0EY View Post
    Where are you getting this? According to Clearwire's first quarter results, they had 9.4M total subscribers ...
    Same place you did... same numbers.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    iPhone 5
    Razr V3
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Home security systems frequently use cell service since cord cutting did become common with burglaries. All Kindle 3g readers and 3g/4g tablets are counted in the cell number total as well.

I have 2 cell phones. One is worked provided and the other is my personal cell. When people are let go for whatever reason, one of the first items grabbed is the company cell phone. Several of my coworkers do this as well. I only use my company cell phone for work email.

Phones
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    HTC Diamond
    HTC TP2
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have four cell phone lines. Also we have a cell phone line that replaced the house landline, which is add'n to each personal cell phone.