Thread: Verizon phone for Selectel - unlocked?

Feedback Score

Verizon phone for Selectel - unlocked?

So we are going with Selectel, and when we look for a gently used phone or refurbished 3G cell phone on ebay, does it just need to say Verizon or unlocked as well? Please advise, thank yoU! KP

Carriers
    Selectel Wireless
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kepkitty View Post
    So we are going with Selectel, and when we look for a gently used phone or refurbished 3G cell phone on ebay, does it just need to say Verizon or unlocked as well? Please advise, thank yoU! KP
    "Unlocked" really doesn't mean much with a CDMA phone -- unless it's a "world" phone that also has a SIM card. "Clean ESN" is what you need to look for. Most Verizon 3G phones have the "Verizon" logo printed on them but it doesn't matter if it's there or not. The one thing you do have to be careful about is NOT buying a Verizon pre-paid phone.

Feedback Score
    I will look for clean esn, thanks. if its from a reputable big time seller on ebay, it would say prepaid wouldn't it?

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    I will look for clean esn, thanks. if its from a reputable big time seller on ebay, it would say prepaid wouldn't it?
    Well, in a perfect world, yes. Often the sellers can't wrap their minds around the idea of a MVNO. eBay can get you your money back - but you're still out the shipping. I suggest getting a model that was never offered as a prepaid like the VX5400. Major dealers in used cell phones (like MobilKarma (sic?) or Recellular, I think) cab have a deal with Verizon as refurbishers so that the resulting (even prepaid) phone is now acceptable to a MVNO like Page Plus. I don't have a 3G phone to offer as an example.
    Regards, FJ

Feedback Score

Cool Cleaan Esn & questions

Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post
    Well, in a perfect world, yes. Often the sellers can't wrap their minds around the idea of a MVNO. eBay can get you your money back - but you're still out the shipping. I suggest getting a model that was never offered as a prepaid like the VX5400. Major dealers in used cell phones (like MobilKarma (sic?) or Recellular, I think) cab have a deal with Verizon as refurbishers so that the resulting (even prepaid) phone is now acceptable to a MVNO like Page Plus. I don't have a 3G phone to offer as an example.
    Regards, FJ
    So, if the phone was used prepaid, but says clean ESN, does that mean it won't work with ppd carrier like Selectel?
    Im not buying from any of those 3. who makes the VX5400? thank you so much for your help. Learning a LOT here!

Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    What is your budget? If we can get an idea of what your looking to spend we can better assist you. Also are you looking for a 3g phone with a keyboard? Please let us know.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    So, if the phone was used prepaid, but says clean ESN, does that mean it won't work with ppd carrier like Selectel?
    Im not buying from any of those 3. who makes the VX5400? thank you so much for your help. Learning a LOT here!
    Used as a prepaid is not the test - but was it originally sold as a prepaid? The VX5400 is a simple phone that I used as an example. (It's an LG.)
    Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    you also need to be carefull when buying a used phone off of ebay/craigslist because if the phone is reported lost/stolen you will have a hard time trying to get the phone activiated. it is best to have the phones ESN checked out before you buy.

Carriers
    Selectel Wireless
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    There were only certain models made for Verizon pre-paid. It would probably be helpful if you let us know what model you are looking at, or you can go to http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p..._and_Page_Plus for a list of phones that work and don't work on Page Plus. You can apply this same list to Selectel Wireless (except, at one point someone from Selectel (or a dealer) said they didn't accept Blackberries, but others said they did). What can confuse the issue, however, is that some models were sold both for prepaid or the regular Verizon network. Actually I think this is the more comprehensive list ... http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Page_Plus

(Both of these appear to be a little dated. Probably best just to ask about a particular model.)

Feedback Score
    I tried to get a Blackberry activated on Selectel and they said "no". This was a direct call to Selectel and not a dealer. Probably should have tried a dealer also.

I just bought an LG VS660 off of eBay. Works fine on Selectel $10 flex card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polymers View Post
    I tried to get a Blackberry activated on Selectel and they said "no". This was a direct call to Selectel and not a dealer. Probably should have tried a dealer also.
    I ported a BB 9370 Curve to Selectel through a dealer at the beginning of the month, so it can be done. I contacted the dealer and specifically asked, because I remember seeing that Berries weren't allowed. I wanted to confirm this or see if any policy changes had been made since the company is evolving. The dealer contacted Selectel and it said yes, but it was iffy since Berries are so "proprietary". If I remember correctly, he said the cs rep said I could call that specific cs rep directly as Selectel has their own they could sell me and Selectel would guarantee would work. The dealer worked with this specific person directly to make sure my BB port and activation would go through. Now I kind of wish I would have inquired about the Berries just to see what models they have since they aren't listed on the website page of phones for sale...

Anyway I went forward with my port and activation and it has been smooth and I am more than satified. There are some quirks, and I don't know f it is because I am running 7.1 and is OS specific. I was expecting to have to install service books for everything but some things do work on 3G:

- MMS and App World work "out of the box" on 3G
    - Maps wasn't working initially, but now it is partially workng on 3G
    - Sometimes the BB browser works on 3G, sometimes it doesn't
    - Some apps work on 3G, others only work over wifi

Since most of the things I care about work "out of the box" I am not in a rush to do any modifications (besides, all the links I clicked on for page plus service books are dead!). Would they even differ if "Selectel service books" come to fruition? I will say the quirks are weird! Again, t may be because I am on 7.1. I do miss the email, but I installed logicmail and it's not bad.

Probably more info than you need, but I hope I shed some light. Anyone else been successful in activating a BlackBerry on Selectel? Maybe I was just a fluke!

Feedback Score

Was told at SElectel any Verizon 3G phone.....

[QUOTE=october262;15191559]you also need to be carefull when buying a used phone off of ebay/craigslist because if the phone is reported lost/stolen you will have a hard time trying to get the phone activiated. it is best to have the phones ESN checked out before you buy.[/QUOT

So I was looking at their phones (Selectel) they sell - and going by that list. Only I want a gently used one to save some cash since I have to buy 2 phones (one for my husband). So I find a top rated seller on ebay with 99.8% feedback score, clean esn is listed. even a warrenty for 11.99 for one year. Any comments? Am I wrong ?
    Only Im having trouble finding a droid x2 (unless there is another name for this phone? They have all kinds of Motorola Smart Phones. yes I want a smart phone, 8mp camera, GPS, memory card slot, touch screen (no keyboard) I was wanting to look at all Motorola 3G smartphones and the date they came out (in order) - where can I go to find this? thx for your help. KP

Carriers
    Selectel Wireless
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRE063 View Post
    Since most of the things I care about work "out of the box" I am not in a rush to do any modifications (besides, all the links I clicked on for page plus service books are dead!). Would they even differ if "Selectel service books" come to fruition? I will say the quirks are weird! Again, t may be because I am on 7.1. I do miss the email, but I installed logicmail and it's not bad.
    I've got the "anworm" service books -- found them somewhere (can't remember exactly where now). If you want them, PM me. Though, I think, they're specifically designed to work with OS 5.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I want a smart phone, 8mp camera, GPS, memory card slot, touch screen (no keyboard) I was wanting to look at all Motorola 3G smartphones and the date they came out (in order) - where can I go to find this?
    Only 3G Verizon phones will work on Selectel without modification. The following link generally contains the information you are asking about. The phones that list "Data: LTE" are 4G phones, so you'll have to ignore those models. The site lists when each phone was announced, but the sorting is out of order. Apparently the last Verizon 3G Motorola smartphone was the Droid 3 from July 2011.
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/carriers/Verizon/discontinued/?filter_feat[touch][]=299&filter_man[]=3
    Last edited by alluringreality; 07-28-2013 at 10:48 AM.