Thread: I need my Nokia lumia 521 unlocked for Straight talk!

Feedback Score

I need my Nokia lumia 521 unlocked for Straight talk!

Im a bit naive when it comes to phones and stuff but bought a Nokia Lumia 521 from HSN or $99 thinking I could use my straight talk sim in it. When I got the phone and put my sim in it said I needed an unlock code.Straight talk said I needed to buy a T-mobile compatable sim but T-mobile does not have coverage where I live so Im concerned the sim still won't allow me to use my phone even if it does work.

Att service is the only provider that has ever worked where I live so I want to use my att straight talk sim in my new nokia Phone and need an unlock code.I paid to have it unlocked by unlock-code-central but after 2 days they said they were having trouble finding the code and issued me a refund. If I am unable to unlock the phone I will have to send it back for a refund because it will be useless to me.

From what I have read in this forum and others the Nokia Lumia 521 seems to be a hard phone to unlock because it is so new. Cellunlocker said they could do it in 14 days for $40 but im worried they will end up telling me the same thing the other guys did and waste precious time I have left in my 30 day return period. Anybody have a good unlocker they can recommend?

Feedback Score
    if you need an AT&T straight talk sim you can get one on ebay or amazon. also you may need to trim the sim and youcan also get that on ebay.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    From other threads, the Original Poster already has an AT&T SIM card. The problem is that his new telephone is locked to T-Mobile.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    I did trim my att sim to fit in the new Nokia lumia only to find the phone needed a code to be unlocked.I just paid cellunlocker $40 to provide me a code so we'll see! They seemed certain they could do it.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    rule of thumb-att phones for att service,tmo phones for tmo service.

and if you want your st service run right out of the box get a st branded phone.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I would suggest returning the phone unless you plan on using T-mobile. Nokia has made it very difficult to unlock their Lumia phones without the carriers permission. I've heard from various sources that unlocking for the 520 and 521 series phones won't be available for at least 6 months.

Nokia did not allow the Lumia 920 or 820 phones sold by at&t to be unlocked for 6 months after release and it would be a good bet to assume the same for the 521 through T-mobile.

A very similar phone the Nokia Lumia 520 is currently being sold via at&t Go Phone for $99 - but you will need to switch over to $60 a month Go Phone service - Which is not all that bad considering.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 via the HowardForums WP8 App
    Last edited by wg8dx; 07-27-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Feedback Score
    I read on different threads that cellunlocker had unlocked the Lumia 521 for a few others so I paid them to try to unlock mine.I even asked them before I paid if they thought the Nokia Lumia 521 would be a hard phone to unlock because its so new and they told me they had unlocked them before and felt confident they could unlock mine.We'll see. If they can't and end up refunding me I will send the phone back and do as you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by wg8dx View Post
    I would suggest returning the phone unless you plan on using T-mobile. Nokia has made it very difficult to unlock their Lumia phones without the carriers permission. I've heard from various sources that unlocking for the 520 and 521 series phones won't be available for at least 6 months.

Nokia did not allow the Lumia 920 or 820 phones sold by at&t to be unlocked for 6 months after release and it would be a good bet to assume the same for the 521 through T-mobile.

A very similar phone the Nokia Lumia 520 is currently being sold via at&t Go Phone for $99 - but you will need to switch over to $60 a month Go Phone service - Which is not all that bad considering.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 via the HowardForums WP8 App

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You need to buy a Straight Talk T Mobile Micro SIM they sell them I bought one for a 521 add a different APN settings that come with the SIM card, and it will work

Phone
    iPhone 5S, iPad Mini, iPad Air, MacBook Pro
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie237 View Post
    You need to buy a Straight Talk T Mobile Micro SIM they sell them I bought one for a 521 add a different APN settings that come with the SIM card, and it will work
    The problem wasn't the sim... and this post is from back in July.

My Babies:
    32gb iPhone 5
    32gb iPad Mini
    64gb iPad 3rd Gen
    13" MacBook Pro

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    My phone was never locked, I installed the new sim and setup a new APN and it worked

Phones
    iPhone 4 on ST&t
    iPhone 4
    ICS 4.0.3 Lenovo a1
    Carrier
    ST on AT&T SIM
    Feedback Score
    Just curious, do you ever have problems with the side buttons? Mainly the camera button? I have the 520, and I took the first one back, now this one the same problem.

Sent with the HoFo App
    *who was phone?*

;3