Thread: LG840 software update?

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

LG840 software update?

Are there ever any phone software updates?? Just wondering if this why I'm constantly losing 3G service , and why doesn't this phone work on the other network service? When I lose 3G I do have an "antenna" in its place and I have bars, but no service to send texts and I don't see anything in settings telling me that I can switch to a lesser service.

my software shows that I have V10b

thanks

Feedback Score
    what sim card do you have?? sofware updates won't help with you losing 3G service, it could be AT&T/tmobile could be working
    on the towers in your area.

Feedback Score
    They do software installation only at the time of manufacture, but not after that. So there are no updates or even access to the inner workings. Access is locked.

Your reception issues are probably due to the usual issues of which sim you have, your location, etc. The phone will not roam unless there is zero reception for the carrier of your sim. Even then, roaming may not work. There is no way to control it. You might look at which sim you have and maybe switch to the other one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    You might look at which sim you have and maybe switch to the other one.
    Tmark, in case you don't know how to tell which carrier's sim is in your phone, here is how to tell.

Look at the first 6 digits

890141... is ATT
    890126... is T-Mobile

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    it looks to be ATT and I don't think I want to switch to TMobile. They must be messing with the towers

Feedback Score
    ATT has spotty coverage at best here,T-mobile is even less.I'm guessing that a GSM phone can't roam on a CDMA (Verizon) signal.Which is funny to me,because my cdma phone has no problem roaming on ATT towers.I have an LG290C and it gets signal almost everywhere,also have an LG840G,can't get signal anywhere accept where there is ATT service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teehar View Post
    ATT has spotty coverage at best here,T-mobile is even less.I'm guessing that a GSM phone can't roam on a CDMA (Verizon) signal.Which is funny to me,because my cdma phone has no problem roaming on ATT towers.I have an LG290C and it gets signal almost everywhere,also have an LG840G,can't get signal anywhere accept where there is ATT service.
    Since you have better reception with Verizon, have you considered switching to a CDMA based phone? The current top of the line for CDMA Tracfones are Samsung R455C slider/qwerty, Samsung S380C bar qwerty (blackberry style) and LG 505C touchscreen/slider qwerty.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Since you have better reception with Verizon, have you considered switching to a CDMA based phone? The current top of the line for CDMA Tracfones are Samsung R455C slider/qwerty, Samsung S380C bar qwerty (blackberry style) and LG 505C touchscreen/slider qwerty.
    I have 2 phones,one cdma the LG290C and the LG 840G.My daughter has the 505C.I'm not a texter,but do enjoy the features of the 840G,just wish it had better coverage,or that Tracfone would come out with an equivalent cdma.