Thread: sim unlocking a tmobile phone without a foreign sim card.

East Flatbush, Brooklyn/ Hampton, Georgia
    Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    At&t (I can't wait to switch back to Tmo)
    Feedback Score

New York sim unlocking a tmobile phone without a foreign sim card.

My dad is going out of the country soon. I have aquired the unlock code from Tmobile for his phone however I don't have a micro sim to put in his phone to unlock it. I know he will lose the unlock code and I'm not traveling with him on this trip (he's old). So I want to unlock the phone before he leaves so he can just get a sim card when he lands and be ready to use the phone. Is there a number that I need to dial that can get me to the unlock screen without having to put in a foreign sim card?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    hofo
    /eBay

Phones
    iPhones
    iPhone 3GS
    Samsung Galaxy S 2
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Telcel
    Feedback Score
    You can also use an att Sim card or any non T-Mobile Sim.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Like I stated before I don't have another sim. And it's a micro sim.

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scr00ge View Post
    1. I don't have a micro sim to put in his phone to unlock it.
    2. Is there a number that I need to dial that can get me to the unlock screen without having to put in a foreign sim card?
    Hmmm...
    1. Doesn't sound like a problem. You don't know anyone with a cell phone where you can borrow the SIM for a few minutes? If you have a week to work with, you can buy any kind of SIM for $1.50 off of eBay. I've gotten (new) LeBarra and Hutchinson SIMs this way. I believe my local ATT retailer will pull a suitable SIM from the trash if asked. The T-Mobile store might have the alien SIM you need in the trash. You could walk into a store like Fry's or BestBuy and buy one for $10. You could buy a $10 prepaid phone with the right kind of SIM. Activate your dad's phone at the ATT store ... then use up the airtime at ATT yourself.

2. I'm sure there is ... but I'm sure it's carrier/phone specific. Maybe the T-Mobile store will tell you.

Regards, FJ

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Att and other carriers have a code you can enter that would bring you to the screen to enter the unlock code. Doesn't tmobile have something like that? I don't know anyone who has a micro sim and the nearest stores aren't close by.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Some phones have a menu option for it, but many others do not. This was the case with my wifes old G1.
    Try requesting a free SIM from LycaMobile at: https://www.lycamobile.us/
    It may take 2 weeks to arrive though. I was able to use it to unlock the G1 and a friends phone.
    Otherwise, take a trip to a AT&T store and buy a prepaid SIM (to be activated at a later date).

Phones
    S4, wife S5, partner Galaxy Light
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    I thought you could simply cut down a normal SIM to the correct size w. some good scissors. There have been posts on this forum that even some TM store people will do that for you.
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    3 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text. 1G data on each line . $90/mo. We have had no landline in 8 years

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    As mentioned, if you have time, order a non-tmobile sim on ebay. If not, walk into an AT&T store and ask that they let you use a sim for a couple of minutes.