Thread: FreedomPop phone? is it BYOD?

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score

FreedomPop phone? is it BYOD?

Does anyone know if you will be able too bring your own device on freedompop's phone service? Also any word on the release date?

I want to get a GS3 or HTC EVO 4G LTE on craigslist so when it launches I can get it right away,but I want to know first that I won't be wasting my money.

Feedback Score
    Freedompop has said yes to byod. However, other details are still not concrete.

Launch date is just stated as approximately the end of summer. Phone must be an Android as there is an app that must be loaded to the phone. No other smartphone operating systems, and no feature phones seem possible.

Also unclear is what speeds the voip requires. It cannot be 4G LTE because Freedompop has specifically stated that they did not want to wait for LTE to be available nationwide on Sprint. It makes more sense for the voip to use Wimax as Freedompop says Wimax data costs much less than Sprint 3g data. Using Wimax though greatly reduces coverage area. Plus Sprint is moving away from Wimax, so there are only a few devices that support it. Using 3g would give the largest coverage, but that is not the least expensive method for Freedompop, and the speed is probably not fast & reliable enough for voip.

For what it is worth, the phones Freedompop have mentioned for the free service are Wimax devices. To further confuse things, their CEO said it is possible to bring in a Galaxy 4 which is a LTE device.

One possibility is that the free service is wimax, while 3g or LTE is an additional charge.

It is also not known how much (if anything) Freedompop will charge for byod.

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Good points. Yeah I'll wait and see.

But this wimax? Does it have nationwide coverage? Or just in huge cities like Boston? I hope it doesn't mean I won't get coverage (western mass).

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    It should include all of the Sprint coverage area. I would wait until it becomes a reality before buying a phone, and the best deal may be to buy it directly from FreedomPop if you don't already have a Sprint android. (As mentioned above, it MUST be an android.)
    Go to http://www.freedompop.com/phone and put in your email address to get notified when the phone service goes live. You will also put in your street address to check for coverage.

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a cheaper used phone. Only thing, I hope it will run on 3g. I wanted to get a galaxy S3 or EVO One on craigslist. Do those have wimax?

Feedback Score
    Wimax devices were Sprint's better phones about 2 years ago. So if Freedompop's free service requires Wimax, there will not only be limited coverage, there will also be a limited number of handset choices. Freedompop has mentioned by name the EVO 4G and the Galaxy S II (aka Epic 4G Touch).

http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6542_7-749.html

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 :: Fierce 2 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post
    Wimax devices were Sprint's better phones about 2 years ago. So if Freedompop's free service requires Wimax, there will not only be limited coverage, there will also be a limited number of handset choices. Freedompop has mentioned by name the EVO 4G and the Galaxy S II (aka Epic 4G Touch).

http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6542_7-749.html
    I have an HTC EVO 4G with a cracked screen.
    Everything works except the back camera.
    I would be interested in FreedomPop service when they start this.

Sent from my N860 using HowardForums