Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Net10 with iPhone 4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0

    Net10 with iPhone 4

    I just moved back to the US, and I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4.

    I jumped the gun a little by purchasing a Straigh Talk t-mobile sim and signing up for the $45 unlimited plan. I didn't realize, however, that the iPhone 4 would only get 2G/EDGE in areas where the t-mobile towers haven't been refarmed. I feel like I'm living in 2008 with how slow the data is on EDGE.

    Anyways, I am planning on buying a net10 AT&T sim on eBay and switching at the end of the month to the net10 plan that is unlimited but has a 1.5 GB data cap.

    I just want to know if I'll run into any issues (data speed, data coverage) with a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and net10 ,besides the usual MMS issue, before taking the plunge.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    23
    Feedback Score
    0
    I switched in January and while I have had issues with slow data on the AT&T network it has not been a "real" issue. There customer support rates a 'D' if you need any real assistance. The website is constantly improving. Had same issue with T-mobile speeds. Switched to TM sim but could not wait for 3G upgrades which still have not been implemated here in Richmond. Overall still enjoying the cost savings over AT&T and not having a contract.

    Mike

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    you'll probably have to download a custom APN to set it to TFDATA, because inserting the Net10 AT&T Sim would auto-set it to att.mvno.

    1. Download APN from unlockit (but your MMS won't work)

    or

    2. T-Mobile sim swap (since your iPhone is unlocked, MMS should work if set correctly)

    or

    3. Jailbreak and install TetherMe.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesn1va View Post
    I switched in January and while I have had issues with slow data on the AT&T network it has not been a "real" issue. There customer support rates a 'D' if you need any real assistance. The website is constantly improving. Had same issue with T-mobile speeds. Switched to TM sim but could not wait for 3G upgrades which still have not been implemated here in Richmond. Overall still enjoying the cost savings over AT&T and not having a contract.

    Mike
    Thanks for the info Mike. Was the slow data on AT&T just slow 3G or was it super slow like on the EDGE/2G network?

    Thanks again!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mscofield999 View Post
    you'll probably have to download a custom APN to set it to TFDATA, because inserting the Net10 AT&T Sim would auto-set it to att.mvno.

    1. Download APN from unlockit (but your MMS won't work)

    or

    2. T-Mobile sim swap (since your iPhone is unlocked, MMS should work if set correctly)

    or

    3. Jailbreak and install TetherMe.
    Thanks for the options! I'm thinking of doing a T-Mobile sim swap but have a few questions.

    1. Does the sim have to be a T-Mobile sim? I have a Straight Talk T-Mobile sim and an Orange sim from Europe and am wondering if either of those would work.

    2. How often does the sim swap need to be done?

    Thanks again

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    23
    Feedback Score
    0
    Not nearly as slow as TM. It is still 3G on AT&T. The data on AT&T is just slower as AT&T does not give resellers the fastest data - they reserve that for their own customers. Can still watch videos and such although Net10 technically does not allow streaming. You should download tunes and video and then watch them. Streaming Pandora or wedsite videos will get you throttled badly or cancelled altogether.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesn1va View Post
    Not nearly as slow as TM. It is still 3G on AT&T. The data on AT&T is just slower as AT&T does not give resellers the fastest data - they reserve that for their own customers. Can still watch videos and such although Net10 technically does not allow streaming. You should download tunes and video and then watch them. Streaming Pandora or wedsite videos will get you throttled badly or cancelled altogether.
    Interesting, and thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know that they throttled the data for resellers. I also didn't think they would care what you do with your data since it's capped anyways. It sounds like it should be a decent plan until AIO comes to my state.

    Sorry for one more question. Do you have MMS working on your iPhone 4? If so, what APN settings are you using? Thanks a ton Mike!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    23
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have MMS working but not group MMS to a mix of iPhones and non-iPhones. Still working on that one. Will get back to you on my settings as my iPhone is no longer "jailbroke" - slowed it down too much - and I have to perform TM SIM swap to view settings.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    23
    Feedback Score
    0
    http://smartphonematters.com/guides/...mms-for-ios-6/

    Great help on this site. Read carefully.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesn1va View Post
    http://smartphonematters.com/guides/...mms-for-ios-6/

    Great help on this site. Read carefully.
    Thanks a ton Mike. I've noticed some reports on this forum of a really spotty data connection with Net10. Have you experienced your data connection going in and out? being really spotty? slow?

    Thanks again for everything.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    23
    Feedback Score
    0
    It is hard to determine spotty connection vesus slower speed. All in all data has not been an issue for me. A lot of times I do know if the data is slow or the website (facebook, news, twitter) is slow.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesn1va View Post
    It is hard to determine spotty connection vesus slower speed. All in all data has not been an issue for me. A lot of times I do know if the data is slow or the website (facebook, news, twitter) is slow.
    You have been so helpful Mike. I think I will make the switch. Thanks a ton.


    Sent with the HoFo App

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 12:07 PM
  2. No MMS with iPhone 4S on net10
    By mbaverizon in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 12:28 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 03:56 AM
  5. Apple struggles with iPhone chip
    By wireless-wizz in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 05:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks