Thread: Attempting to keep unlimited data via upgrade swap

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Attempting to keep unlimited data via upgrade swap

Okay, I know this has been asked and answered several hundred (thousand?) times, but I want to be sure this would still be possible now in summer 2013.

We have 3 lines on the 550 min loyalty share plan. One old smartphone with unlimited data, and two basic phones.

All month to month, upgrade eligible.

Could I upgrade a basic phone to a new iPhone, and then do an ESN swap and move that phone to the unlimited line? Would I get the subsidy? Could I keep unlimited? Would there be any problems switching back to a basic phone?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I did what you are asking today, transferred my upgrade from unlimited line to basic phone, ordered a S3, activated it on basic line, changed that plan to 2gb data plan, then swapped phone to my unlimited line and put basic phone back on its original line, now with no data. So far so good, it shows my unlimited line is now under contract until 7/30/2015.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmk76 View Post
    I did what you are asking today, transferred my upgrade from unlimited line to basic phone, ordered a S3, activated it on basic line, changed that plan to 2gb data plan, then swapped phone to my unlimited line and put basic phone back on its original line, now with no data. So far so good, it shows my unlimited line is now under contract until 7/30/2015.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Pardon my stupidity.. but where did the 2GB tiered plan go then?

Carrier
    AT&T - Mobilizing Your World
    Feedback Score
    Yah might want take this conversation to the PM side of things.

Don't want Verizon getting any ideas do you!?
    iPhone and iOS are too complete to beat!!!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SSpiro View Post
    Pardon my stupidity.. but where did the 2GB tiered plan go then?
    It wasn't tiered it was a nationwide 2gb plan, I switched back to dumb phone and no data plan with data block.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using HoFo mobile app

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Yah might want take this conversation to the PM side of things.

Don't want Verizon getting any ideas do you!?
    There aren't any secrets about this maneuver. In fact it's not a loophole as some people call it.

People make it harder than it seems.

Just don't touch the unlimited data line. You can upgrade any other line or add a line and than just put 4g LTE sim from unlimited line to new phone.

And switch subsidized line to flip phone and cancel data.

Verizon and att. That's the reason they try to trick people doing these family share plans. Because the cost for flip phone and smartphone is negligible. But with old plans the flip lines only cost $10 and the smartphone lines cost $40.

I just wished Verizon and att would do the tmobile old way. Which was require mandatory data on subsized line regardless if u use line as flip or smartphone

And those who pay full price have option of not having data at all. Believe it. Many people are around wifi 80% of the time and don't necessarily need cellular data.

But we all know cellular data is the main cash revenue these days for carriers.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    My upgrade that I used was from my unlimited line. I transferred it to a dumb phone and proceeded from there.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    My upgrade that I used was from my unlimited line. I transferred it to a dumb phone and proceeded from there.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Than u lose your unlimited data if u use the subsidized upgrade from your unlimited line

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I used it and did not lose it.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Here is a screenshot.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    But we all know cellular data is the main cash revenue these days for carriers.
    How does that work? The infrastructure for voice and text is already paid for. It needs very little CapEx, at least for Verizon (AT&T with their coverage holes may be a different animal...) no new spectrum licenses, and probably not much maintenance. Barring natural disasters there are no capacity issues on the voice/text side of things. Data is the big growth market but it's also the market that's sucking up all of the CapEx, a lot of the R&D, billions in new spectrum licenses, expansion of new cell sites and deployment of new licenses to keep up with ever-increasing demand, etc, etc, etc.

If you count "free" minutes (N&W, M2M) I wind up paying about $0.04/min to VZW when all is said and done. $39.99/mo divided by however many minutes I end up using. What's the actual cost per minute for Verizon to deliver that service to me? I'd be surprised if it's >$0.01/min. Then there's the $20/mo I spend for texts, which works out to about $0.005 to $0.01/txt for me, and as we all know is virtually pure profit for them.

Contrast that against the data side of things. I have unlimited, so my cost per MB is directly proportional to how much I use. My monthly average is around 2GB, with a peak of 62GB, and the occasional month under 500MB (when I'm not traveling for work or pleasure) They make money on me regardless, even with the occasional jump to insane numbers, but the profit-margin for them is nowhere near as good as it is with voice and text.

There's a reason why unlimited data went away and unlimited voice/text is the new normal. I've lurked on and off these forums for almost a decade. I remember the discussions back in the day when T-Mobile was first to market with unlimited text, about how crazy they were, and how Verizon would never follow suit. Amazing how times change, isn't it?

Incidentally, I'd bet that unlimited data will be back within a decade. The big boys don't need to compete on price right now because it's a growth market. That will change when the market matures. First you'll see someone roll out nights and weekends for data, and a few years after that you'll see the return of the unlimited data plan.

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    AT&T Blackberry Bold 9700 for work
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    Than u lose your unlimited data if u use the subsidized upgrade from your unlimited line

Sent with the HoFo App
    This is an incorrect statement. You said this in the other thread as well and were presented examples where you were clearly wrong

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1804561

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    This is an incorrect statement. You said this in the other thread as well and were presented examples where you were clearly wrong

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1804561
    I just did this last week. You will not loose unlimited data.