Thread: Ting review & $25 discount code

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score

Ting review & $25 discount code

Four months ago, I switched from using an LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile to an LG Marquee on Ting. So far Ting has been great. Ting's website is much more friendly than VM's, and their customer service people (for the one phone call I needed them) were also much better. I was paying $25/mo x 2 phones = $50+tax and fees, about $54 total for VM. For the same use, I pay only $27.77 on Ting!

Here's a snapshot of my Ting dashboard at the end of the month:

Here's the Ting statement for the month, $27.77 total cost:

We use Google voice, not Ting's texting, so that saves us a few bucks. By the way, Google voice is much better on Ting than Virgin Mobile, because Ting allows you to forward calls to your GV number (where Google transcribes them to text and sends them to you with a .wav file, whereas VM would send them to their own clunky voice mail that you have to dial into, and punch the keypad to plod through.

As far as data cost/usage goes, I'm sure it varies a lot from person-to-person. My wife & I don't watch video on the phones, just occasional web use. We will easily stay under 500 MB. Since we have the phones logging into wifi at work & home, we might even stay under 100 MB, which is the next lowest break-point in pricing. There are a lot of applications that like to use up your data plan, but you can make them "wifi only" using DroidWall:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...all.free&hl=en

Our phones are rooted, and I think DroidWall requires root access. After configuring DroidWall to prevent 4G/3G access for everything but email, our data use went from 15 MB per day to about 0.6 MB/day. The battery lasts longer now too.

VM and Ting both use Sprint for primary coverage, and while VM doesn't roam at all, Ting roams nearly the whole country on Verizon (but the roaming is phone & text only, not data). Considering I'm paying about 20% of what Sprint or AT&T would charge, I can live without data roaming!

There's even a slick, free application to keep track of your data, text and talk usage on Ting, on Google Play.

Here's a coupon link to save $25 on a new Ting mod edited: removed because it is against the rules
    Last edited by martin_j001; 01-05-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Carriers
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    I have to say, I love Ting too. My usage is about $17 for one line but I do text quite a bit. Voice/SMS roaming on Verizon/US Cellular is always a plus. Sprint is also turning on LTE around here and I can get a decent speed on it.
    Current Phones: HTC Evo LTE (Ting), ZTE Avail 2 (Airvoice Wireless)

Element Mobile - The mess of a carrier that happens you merge Verizon and Alltel but Verizon cannot have all of Alltel towers!

Carrier
    R+ - Zact/VMC - Ting - PPC - Lyca
    Feedback Score
    I got reprimanded for posting my code. No discount codes, unless you are a gold member is what I was then told.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps the mods would consider a thread where everyone could roll in their links and readers wishing to sign up could just pick one.

Feedback Score
    Is Ting roaming onto Verizon seamless, or do you lose a signal and then have to redial? The reason I ask is that I'm in an area with poor Sprint coverage, though according to the maps it should be OK at my home. But, very quickly I would drive out of Sprint coverage, while Verizon is basically everywhere.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    Is Ting roaming onto Verizon seamless, or do you lose a signal and then have to redial? The reason I ask is that I'm in an area with poor Sprint coverage, though according to the maps it should be OK at my home. But, very quickly I would drive out of Sprint coverage, while Verizon is basically everywhere.
    I would say you need to go with Verizon or a Verizon MVNO.

Feedback Score
    I would say you need to go with Verizon or a Verizon MVNO.
    I hope some other MVNOs on other carriers create pricing schemes like Ting's. I like the idea of paying for what you use and not having to worry about going over a limit.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I hope some other MVNOs on other carriers create pricing schemes like Ting's. I like the idea of paying for what you use and not having to worry about going over a limit.
    I'm pretty sure Ting's cellular data won't work while roaming on Vzw.

What is your typical voice, SMS, and cellular data usage, and how much do you currently pay?

Feedback Score
    Ting is great if your usage is generally low, but sucks if you are a heavy data users, but infrequent talker/texter.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s99nj View Post
    Ting is great if your usage is generally low, but sucks if you are a heavy data users, but infrequent talker/texter.
    I agree.

Ting is perfect for the OP, but the threshold at which VM becomes cheaper is very low (roaming and devices not withstanding).

I'm on the 300 min VM plan and what I use on Ting would cost me $39...and that's only 550MB and 250 min with no texting.

I do use Ting if I need an extra phone every now and then. In fact, I'll probably use the referral link above at some point.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    There is at least one other called "Zact" (if I remember correctly).

Ting is great about providing usage alerts and even automatic disabling of services once you hit set thresholds.

The downside with Ting is that they trade low-volume packages for high rates (which result in small out of pocket costs if you don't use mobile service that much...but is overpriced if you do).

Plus, even though you NEVER have to decide what you package will need ahead of time (I love that about them) they DO have semi-steep jumps from bucket to bucket. For example, you'll pay $10 for the 101st MB of data instead of just another $3 for MBs 101-200.

In the end, they seem to be very well run and serve their niche admirably.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    As it has been posted many times, Ting is great for low data users. If you talk and text a lot then it is a great service, especially if you share between several devices and that can work out for data too. Talk and text are are some of the lowest rates around even when factoring in the handset charge and taxes.

What is nice about Zact as compared to Ting, is that you can really fine tune your usage and not pay for minutes you don't use, at least compared to Ting and their steep jump between tiers after 1000. Ting does allowed a 5% use overage, so 500 = 525 and 1000 = 1050 before you are bumped to the next tier and so on...

VM $35 plan is not much good for those who talk, but if you don't talk much and use a lot of data then it is a great deal. If the wife and I wanted to use VM we would have to pay 90 a month for 2 $45 plans, where for our use, Ting is around 45 including line charge and taxes and where our ATT talk only plan was $67.
    If VM let us share the $45 plan or bumped the $35 plan to 500 minutes then it would be a deal for sure! Is does seem that Ting and Zact as well will have to get a little more in line with data costs or I don't think they will be around for long. The biggest complaint I get whenever I talk about Ting or Zact is data costs, of course when a lot of people actually note what they use for data, it might just not justify having "unlimited" and why if they both tweaked their data costs down even a little and Ting added some tiers, it would draw more people in.

As far a s Ting alerts, you have to be very careful with their alerts and disabling system, especially data! Their system is not real time and even if you set data to disable at a 100MB you will not even get a notification until the overage has been reported. If you are at 90MB and you decide to download some music or video or what not you can blow right past the 100MB limit as you use it. It will only be disabled after you have finished using it and the Sprint system has reported your use to Ting. You are better off using your phone to disable your data!

With Zact you will be cut off at your set points, but you are notified when you reach 80% of your total, so you can add or change your plan. It will chime in during voice calls to tell you you are fast approaching your minutes so you do know before you are cut off. Also, with Zact you can purchase bonus minutes/text/data to tide you over instead of changing you plan and those do roll over into the next month, plus are only pennies more than the actual plan costs. It is too bad Their Phone selection is limited and over priced imo. They did add the SIII and the Victory the other day though, but still quite high.
    If Zact had BYOSD I would move over to them in a heartbeat, even knowing Sprint service leaves a lot to be desired!

Here is another coupon link to save $25 on a new Ting account: mod edited: you even stated you know better.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 01-05-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Feedback Score
    Regarding Ting roaming on Verizon:
    It is seamless for me, no user action required.
    But its only voice and SMS, no data.

Feedback Score
    Does Ting break out how much was used by each device? Or is it all smooshed into one pile of stats for the account?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakiMana View Post
    Does Ting break out how much was used by each device? Or is it all smooshed into one pile of stats for the account?
    You see the usage of each device separately.