Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Moto X phone Pre-Release Thread

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    First, the active display looks like a nice idea. Developer editions are a welcome concession, might not sell many, though. And the 32GB IM option had to be. As for the rest…

Yes, it is last year's tech. It looks to me for all the world like Googs just didn't want to pay Qualcomm's super-spy bug 800 price so it cobbled up a perfectly serviceable one on its own using cut rate parts. The 800 must have occasioned at first some serious consternation in Mtn View. Obviously, *Google* couldn't take a back seat while 800 dragons were snapping up every word uttered in their presence all day every day, for the competition. 'Google IS spyware; how dare they!' Thankfully, a cost-effective solution was devised. All's well that ends well – or so Will said.

Only thing, will anybody actually buy one?

Oh. And LCD is, too, better. (Albeit, maybe not PenTile.)
    ~~~~~

In other news…

The LG Snapdragon 800 powered 5.2" IPS 1080p G2 is official.
    The Moto X misses the mark this round. Motorola’s X8 processing system… is last year’s dual-core 1.7GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro processor.

I can’t see the [LG G2] 16GB model selling for more than $199.99 on-contract…
    http://gigaom.com/2013/08/07/lg-g2-v...st-of-android/

That dog won't hunt.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-08-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    The LG G2 is clearly superior in both specs and performance — presumably, at the same price.

I don't get it. All the early speculation pointed to price as the key to the success of these four Go-Mo handsets. If that's so, then it looks now like the whole lot of'm's gonna crash and burn at the end of the runway.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think you are completely wrong in your prognostications and these Moto X devices will sell extremely well.
    They just aren't for you.
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    I think you are completely wrong in your prognostications and these Moto X devices will sell extremely well.
    I figure they will sell in similar numbers to the HTC One devices. Good and better than most moto's in a while, but not any any realm, way, shape, or form that will concern Samsung or Apple. And really not at a level Moto needs to become truly relevant again.

I also think samsung having removable battery and mSD will continue to give them an edge over others.....even if someone finally really starts to challenge their supremacy. I do think the LG will do better than the X also. I might be a bit less likely to say that if AT&T didn't have an exclusive on the moto-maker as that could be popular.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_Ny View Post
    Of course with the exterior customization you also have the other side of the coin, once cuztomized it stays like that forever. So if at some point in time you want to sell your device it will be a lot harder I guess.
    Don't forget backplates would be replaceable.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    This 'for a limited time only' idea is floating around. Anybody have a source?
    Try the internet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Don't know that I could *ever* relax what with having Google ears in my pocket 24/7.
    Sometimes I use my finger to press the "off" button. Just works.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Steve, that's the point. You're usually sharper than that.

If you don't need a button to turn the phone on, then the mike is NEVER off.
    So, no, the "off" button just doesn't work.

But you can try the internet to check it out further, if you like. It's a feature built into the Snapdragon 800 SoC – always on microphone. I'm sure there'll be a setting to kill the software voice wake-up feature, but the mike is 24/7 in the hardware, regardless. Turning the handset 'off' makes no difference.
    ~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Try the internet.
    Actually, I did. Turns out it was Kellex and probably true.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-11-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    My statement was conditional; "if" the early price hype was correct then…
    So please don't ascribe to me any "prognostications" based on that post.

Agreed – not for me. But that's not news.

If my conjecture that they are aimed largely at Android newbies transitioning from dumb phones is valid, your prognostication may pay off. But I'm more inclined to go with Jasaero's take.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can disable the active listening features if you like but the always on microphone is only on when the device is powered up...the power button still works.

The ATT exclusive has already been confirmed to be for a limited time as well as being confirmed to be coming to VZW, albeit with no specific launch date.
    The back end authentication infrastructure required for them to send you a personalized device including a NanoSIM card that is initialized via a tollfree number is the real reason this was done in this limited way. ATT may have paid for that exclusivity as well, but it was their willingness to put all that back end in place and integrated with Moto Maker that allows it to happen.

We can only imagine that such a process is likely to be significantly more complicated with VZW and their hybrid CDMA/LTE network and IMS infrastructure, to say nothing of their manic control orientation and predisposition.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    You can disable the active listening features if you like but the always on microphone is only on when the device is powered up...the power button still works.
    "You are aware of the fact that somebody can know where you are at all times, because you carry a mobile device, even if that mobile device is turned off," he said. "You know this, I hope? Yes? Well, you should."
    ["He" is Gus Hunt, CTO CIA] If you find that difficult to buy, watch the video link below and see him say it for yourself.
    … I'm sure there'll be a setting to kill the software voice wake-up feature, but the mike is 24/7 in the hardware, regardless. Turning the handset 'off' makes no difference.
    Yo guys, ever hear of a dude named Snowden?

Well, if you can believe that the current CTO of the CIA is named Hunt, of all things, this video – which I have posted more than once before – is something you really should watch before you 'assume' that what meets the eye is all there is or that everything is as it is 'supposed' to be.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2917842

Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-11-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If your response to everything is going to be "Ever hear of a dude named Snowden" then there is little point in discussing anything with you in rational terms and is not worth the bother, sorry.
    It seems to me that someone of your inclination should, perhaps, divest themselves of all digital devices and go offline.

I think it dilutes and diminishes the gravity and substance of the issue when thrown out as irrefutable evidence of your cynical and conspiratorial view of events.

But none of this has anything to do with the Moto X or why I think it will be a very popular device with much more broad appeal than "android noobs", so I will stop here.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Essentially, that's an ad hominem argument, which is no argument at all. If you don't think my point is, in fact, "irrefutable", then the more productive thing to do would be to refute it with sound logic.

The broadbrush 'tinfoil hat' approach has lost it's bite because Snowden has shown US that, lo and behold, Jerry Fletcher really was right, after all. What "dilutes and diminishes" the discussion is to exclude demonstrated facts or divergent perspectives based merely on an a priori distaste for their import or implications.

If you have good cause to believe that the fruits of Snowden's self-sacrifice don't validate a "conspiratorial' POV as rational, grave, and substantial, share your thoughts with us. IMO, "the issue" has everything to do with any "always on" speak-to-wake capable device including all four of these new X8 motos and the raft of upcoming Snapdragon 800 devices, as well.

Your "not worth the bother" devolves into sour grapes – if you have no other meaningful thoughts to contribute that are relevant to the perspective you're addressing. If you have a constructive and rational counter point to present, make it, supported by sound logic, in the thread. If you don't, please don't throw arational and baseless aspersions at mine – or at me.

A suggestion: It may help to watch the 2013 CTIA Gus Hunt video in full before replying. It's a true eye-opener.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-13-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Feedback Score
    I would tend to try and trust Moto, Google, and the networks and such to make sure when I turned such a feature off it would actually be off, but the problem with assuming that is they are the only ones you have to trust. What was thought to be our private data related to our phone lines...(any talking head or politico trying to say it never would is totally ignorant as even phone company employees can't just go and rifle through that like it belongs to the phone company without your permission at most telcos)...was just forced to be handed over to the fed. It's not like these companies could fight this or go public about their concerns about handing it over without huge legal troubles.

Anyhow....I don't find it all that concerning though. They are shooting themselves in the feet if they really attempt to try to mine this deep. I will be plum fine turning on a feature like this if for no other reason than to ensure data overload for all the miners. Turn it on and then start talking in jest about things you know they are trying to track just to throw up false flags.

Not sure some of what concerns TC can be called completely conspiratorial anymore though. Even if you believe everything is restricted to what is being claimed it's still a very broad general warrant and search that none of us were aware had been being conducted. They have fessed up they actually have possession of all the data and just are only looking at stuff related to security concerns, but it's still an act only those unafraid of and willing to live under a police state can condone.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast