Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Moto X phone Pre-Release Thread

Feedback Score
    Notice the number 2 and 3 up voted complaints after the VZW directed complaint here? Samsung has 20+ sales "Locked Up!" right there when those peeps goto buy their next phones. And I am betting more than half those votes are sporting Moto RAZR or something as we speak.

As a side note....this article also suggest VZW won't be moving many X's either since they want to sell the Droids. X isn't going to be a barnburner by any stretch.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/12...x/#more-116940

Feedback Score
    The more I learn of the Moto X the less I feel I can predict it's impact and success. There is nothing bad about it really as the spec thing isn't as big a weakness as it might seem on the surface. And there is lots of good. The problem is there is NOTHING great or extremely exciting about it to anyone. Those that like it most seem to appreciate it because of how measured and unrisky the overall product is and think it makes it a bit better overall product than others that are maybe more exciting rather than being actually highly excited about what it is. The moto maker aspect is the only part that maybe gets beyond that a bit, but still not sure how many will go check it out in a store and then be so excited by possible different color/trim to then go on maker and wait a couple weeks for a custom one. If it included totally different builds/configs with mSD, removable battery, and stuff like that the networks and google are trying to divert oems and customers away from along with a moto maker 4 network unlocked version I would have a totally different take on the whole moto maker thing.

Most of all I think they failed to go all out on anything EVERYONE will appreciate on some level so much as they went all out on attempting to make some of the sorts of obscure "helper" features samsung is always pushing with half baked software approach by trying to bake them better with software hardware solution that won't hit the battery as bad. The issue is these are the aspects of samsung that many or most could care less about after they have actually tried them. The flaw I think is their half baked nature on samsung isn't the only issue with them so much as I am not sure enough people are even interested in using these odd things like talking to their phone or flicking it to open something. Now LG and even HTC are being just as silly about all this. HTC is going a bit further with build and material use, but the One is huge for the display size.

But if you look at camera's....although Moto is making some claims about their camera it seems to be a pretty generic, but new part from Aptina. It's not a special spec part like HTC or something probably internally configured like LG. It seems LG may have the killer camera on android now. I just can't help but think something built like the LG G2, but with a camera module like the Nokia 1020 would be HUGE on Android. Windows Phone is just not exciting to people yet. The more I read about the X though the more it sounds like Moto's claims about this aptina sensor are mostly hype. It's probably a better sensor than the X is making out to be also though is what is really annoying to me. Why can't they invest more software time into making a non-apple camera. Do something with the software like Nokia did for the 1020. Make it easy to use, but give you some more control than minimal if you just don't want to trust the Moto engineers. It seems its dumbed down a bit to much and trying to hard to exploit a better, but not magical sensor. Not only that, but I am guessing they aren't doing much to tune the JPG processing to something that might be a bit more optimal....maybe even use their fancy DSP background for the spy and AMOLED notification delivery to also push jpg processing beyond stock Snapdragon stuff a bit more as Nokia did with the 1020. EVERYONE uses the camera on their smartphone at least sometimes....many maybe it's not a huge deal....but I think pretty much everyone would feel the need to atleast consider a phone like the 1020 on android.

After most either check it out or read one of these reviews, I just don't see how you get excited want to go get one real bad. Maybe if you want a device that comes real close to the apple device size ideal, but want a lot more display(and not a tiny bit more display and the exact same size like Droid Mini). But even that seems like a questionable number of folks when Samsung really is slowly overcoming the apple dominance with almost exclusively larger devices. The Galaxy mini stuff seems to be almost completely unwanted here in the states...yet probably offers a similar overall experience to an iPhone even if they don't have quite as high a spec as the S's and Note's.....from Moto's perspective that shouldn't matter too much....particular if the size is supposedly right. Actually the Moto X and Droid Mini really are closer to the S4 Mini than anything else on the market.....except they don't have removable battery or mSD.....I would save my money and get the S4 Mini over them if I wanted a smaller Apple hand size optimized or bit over device.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    The more I learn of the Moto X the less I feel I can predict it's impact and success. There is nothing bad about it really as the spec thing isn't as big a weakness as it might seem on the surface. And there is lots of good. The problem is there is NOTHING great or extremely exciting about it to anyone. Those that like it most seem to appreciate it because of how measured and unrisky the overall product is and think it makes it a bit better overall product than others that are maybe more exciting rather than being actually highly excited about what it is. The moto maker aspect is the only part that maybe gets beyond that a bit, but still not sure how many will go check it out in a store and then be so excited by possible different color/trim to then go on maker and wait a couple weeks for a custom one. If it included totally different builds/configs with mSD, removable battery, and stuff like that the networks and google are trying to divert oems and customers away from along with a moto maker 4 network unlocked version I would have a totally different take on the whole moto maker thing.

Most of all I think they failed to go all out on anything EVERYONE will appreciate on some level so much as they went all out on attempting to make some of the sorts of obscure "helper" features samsung is always pushing with half baked software approach by trying to bake them better with software hardware solution that won't hit the battery as bad. The issue is these are the aspects of samsung that many or most could care less about after they have actually tried them. The flaw I think is their half baked nature on samsung isn't the only issue with them so much as I am not sure enough people are even interested in using these odd things like talking to their phone or flicking it to open something. Now LG and even HTC are being just as silly about all this. HTC is going a bit further with build and material use, but the One is huge for the display size.

But if you look at camera's....although Moto is making some claims about their camera it seems to be a pretty generic, but new part from Aptina. It's not a special spec part like HTC or something probably internally configured like LG. It seems LG may have the killer camera on android now. I just can't help but think something built like the LG G2, but with a camera module like the Nokia 1020 would be HUGE on Android. Windows Phone is just not exciting to people yet. The more I read about the X though the more it sounds like Moto's claims about this aptina sensor are mostly hype. It's probably a better sensor than the X is making out to be also though is what is really annoying to me. Why can't they invest more software time into making a non-apple camera. Do something with the software like Nokia did for the 1020. Make it easy to use, but give you some more control than minimal if you just don't want to trust the Moto engineers. It seems its dumbed down a bit to much and trying to hard to exploit a better, but not magical sensor. Not only that, but I am guessing they aren't doing much to tune the JPG processing to something that might be a bit more optimal....maybe even use their fancy DSP background for the spy and AMOLED notification delivery to also push jpg processing beyond stock Snapdragon stuff a bit more as Nokia did with the 1020. EVERYONE uses the camera on their smartphone at least sometimes....many maybe it's not a huge deal....but I think pretty much everyone would feel the need to atleast consider a phone like the 1020 on android.

After most either check it out or read one of these reviews, I just don't see how you get excited want to go get one real bad. Maybe if you want a device that comes real close to the apple device size ideal, but want a lot more display(and not a tiny bit more display and the exact same size like Droid Mini). But even that seems like a questionable number of folks when Samsung really is slowly overcoming the apple dominance with almost exclusively larger devices. The Galaxy mini stuff seems to be almost completely unwanted here in the states...yet probably offers a similar overall experience to an iPhone even if they don't have quite as high a spec as the S's and Note's.....from Moto's perspective that shouldn't matter too much....particular if the size is supposedly right. Actually the Moto X and Droid Mini really are closer to the S4 Mini than anything else on the market.....except they don't have removable battery or mSD.....I would save my money and get the S4 Mini over them if I wanted a smaller Apple hand size optimized or bit over device.
    Ugh - I accidentally closed the window and lost what I wrote. In brief -

I agree.

I read an article with a Moto engineer. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...o-x-specs-q-a/

2 things annoyed me.

paraphrasing -

removable batteries - "well Apple doesn't have them"

microSD - "we don't want to confuse our stupid customers"

Not saying these things are the biggest thing for most people - but the attitude annoys me (enough to cement my decision to not buy these current Moto phones)

They want to be like Apple - I have some bad news for Moto. When given the choice between an iphone and a wannabe iphone with a Moto logo people are going to pick an iphone.

Only thing in the interview that gives me some hope - when discussing the microSD, he said they are not including it for "the mass market" - I hope this means they have a superior "non-mass market" phone coming soon - although I may be reading too much into this.
    Last edited by gbh2; 08-17-2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: fixed 3 typos

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    That offhand "mass market" comment could be taken to bolster the impression that Googs sees these four X8 devices as 'entry-level' Android handsets — targeted for Android newbies.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Feedback Score
    I think what really gets me is that Moto maker is the only thing really new and unique that will be obvious to anyone. The fancy engineering things did to make the silly talking and flicking and other stuff happen at a lower power level while in standby won't really seem like the grand feat they are to the average layman and maybe even seem less impresive from a fancy tech standpoint than stuff Samsung does in software with common generic smartphone sensor data when maybe not in standby.

Then on the flip side...it's going to be rare to encounter a device that is of the more exciting Maker origin. Only AT&T for now and unless lots use it eventually and pick really unique colors usually or something, this aspect will rarely get demoed by excited new owners for general public person to person marketing that can be more effective than any other.

At least a couple iPhone peeps I know have got note 2's based on my demo's after I got mine. There is zero way I put people into a Moto X showing it off even if I was real effective explaining how it's engineering and more fully baked silly advantages really are.

Feedback Score
    Yep, the more I think about the more I can only see this X as a success if it's really the value line mass market device that has launched prior to the real teir one device and will be a good bit less spendy once it's sitting next to that teir 1 device.

It may sell better than any recent Moto, but it will be more cause it's a 4 network unified marketing device than because it's a greatly different product than they have been offering. They could have saved a good bit of effort and r&d cost and just launched a spec war phone and did just as well or better...maybe better if it wasn't spec war, but really well done generic spec and cheap from day one. Save the fancy engineered features for the real teir 1 later.

There is no way they become a concern to Apple or Samsung though unless the real teir one is something WAY more grandiose than this. And if that is the case and this will be a very cheap device once that one hits, they may even be able to get away with less frequent updates. Basically this needs to take on the plastic iPhone that is rumored and the mini Galaxy stuff for Moto's strategy to be effective. We'll see.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    I recently had occasion to chat with a US Army Ranger who, when the conversation turned to cellphones, directly and pointedly did 'NOT' tell me that his training included the instruction to keep his cellphone camera lens taped over like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post

If you don't need a button to turn the phone on, then the mike is NEVER off.
    So, no, the "off" button just doesn't work.

…It's a feature built into the Snapdragon 800 SoC – always on microphone. I'm sure there'll be a setting to kill the software voice wake-up feature, but the mike is 24/7 in the hardware, regardless. Turning the handset 'off' makes no difference.
    I would tend to try and trust Moto, Google, and the networks and such to make sure when I turned such a feature off it would actually be off, but the problem with assuming that is they are the only ones you have to trust. What was thought to be our private data related to our phone lines...(any talking head or politico trying to say it never would is totally ignorant as even phone company employees can't just go and rifle through that like it belongs to the phone company without your permission at most telcos)...was just forced to be handed over to the fed. It's not like these companies could fight this or go public about their concerns about handing it over without huge legal troubles.

Anyhow....I don't find it all that concerning though. They are shooting themselves in the feet if they really attempt to try to mine this deep. I will be plum fine turning on a feature like this if for no other reason than to ensure data overload for all the miners. Turn it on and then start talking in jest about things you know they are trying to track just to throw up false flags.

Not sure some of what concerns TC can be called completely conspiratorial anymore though. Even if you believe everything is restricted to what is being claimed it's still a very broad general warrant and search that none of us were aware had been being conducted. They have fessed up they actually have possession of all the data and just are only looking at stuff related to security concerns, but it's still an act only those unafraid of and willing to live under a police state can condone.
    I want to come back to the always-on Snapdragon 800 / Motorola X8 microphones for a moment.
    I would tend to try and trust Moto, Google, and the networks and such to make sure when I turned such a feature off it would actually be off…
    I would NOT be so trusting. Some may ask why. Some may ask where the 'conspiracy' comes into it.
    I will answer both of those questions with another question:

How easy is it to find a good case for your cellphone that incorporates a simple opaque one-piece flip camera lens dust cover?

For those capable of independent thought and problem analysis, reflecting on the implications of that simple fact will be an enlightening experience.

You are aware of the fact that somebody can know where you are at all times, because you carry a mobile device, even if that mobile device is turned off," he said. "You know this, I hope? Yes? Well, you should.
    —"He" being Gus Hunt, CIA CTO
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-16-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Why don't you wrap your phone in tin foil?

When I first read the last part of the post I really thought you were joking. Now the phone case companies are in on the Snowden conspiracy?

Government agencies, criminals, terrorists, marketers, and others have been tracking people through their online activity for many years. It will never get better, only more prevalent. It's not a conspiracy but evolving technology. I'm not saying it's right but it is unavoidable. The only option is to unplug.

Back to the point of this thread - personally I am still eager to see which versions of the X and the other new motorola phones are available on the Playstore and if those models will be different than the carrier version. I might have missed that in some of the articles. Does anyone know?

Feedback Score
    I recently had occasion to chat with a US Army Ranger who, when the conversation turned to cellphones, directly and pointedly did 'NOT' tell me that his training included the instruction to keep his cellphone camera lens taped over like that.

I want to come back to the always-on Snapdragon 800 / Motorola X8 microphones for a moment.
    I would NOT be so trusting. Some may ask why. Some may ask where the 'conspiracy' comes into it.
    I will answer both of those questions with another question:

How easy is it to find a good case for your cellphone that incorporates a simple opaque one-piece flip camera lens dust cover?

For those capable of independent thought and problem analysis, reflecting on the implications of that simple fact will be an enlightening experience.

—"He" being Gus Hunt, CIA
    All I was saying is I am willing tend to try and give my trust to a private entity who I can always disassociate with at any point some contract obligation ends and with whom has some business interest in keeping me happy with their level and reasoning for spying on me. Once it's the government wanting similar info on my behavior I become much much more concerned as I have a lot more concern about what that would say of my liberty and freedom in a supposedly free constitutional republic founded to get its people away from such general warrant searches and ignorance of individual privacy.

It is possible Goog's don't be evil saying is just cover and that their tight ties with our government should be a concern with a device they are technically releasing through Moto with capabilities like this. Does the government secretly pay for the data this would use though if it were to really always be recording and uploading? Networks will want theirs for such data use and customers would notice that much data they weren't deliberately using.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Randomly —

1) No audio recording. Real-time voice-to-text. Negligible data. Good for 'plausible deniability', too. Even the President used it that way: "Nobody is listening to your phone calls." True.

2) Rest assured your rich uncle in DC is paying premium rates for his court-ordered data minIng.

3) It doesn't matter who is spying. NOTHING that goes into a computer ever goes away. Sooner or later, anyone who still wants it will have it.

4) Besides Googs, et al. and Uncle Sam, the community of international malware (COIN 'M) and the amalgamated mobile application development world also want access to the 24/7 mikes in these Moto X8 and Snapdragon 800 handsets.

5) Ironically, it may well be that the NRA / gun control question is all that stands between US and a police state. [JK… ?]

6) I'm going to change my HoFo app sig:
    "Where have all the lens caps gone?"
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-17-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seoword View Post
    Why don't you wrap your phone in tin foil?
    Tinfoil is about leftovers; you need a fresh tagline.

When I first read the last part of the post I really thought you were joking. Now the phone case companies are in on the Snowden conspiracy?
    Thou sayest.
    Government agencies, criminals, terrorists, marketers, and others have been tracking people through their online activity for many years. It will never get better, only more prevalent. It's not a conspiracy but evolving technology. I'm not saying it's right but it is unavoidable. The only option is to unplug. …
    An old – very bad – joke ends:
    'If it's unavoidable, lay back and enjoy it.'
    Is that it?

So, what's your explanation…
    Where have all the lens caps gone?
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-17-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So, what's your explanation…
    Where have all the lens caps gone?
    Otterbox is working with the NSA to make sure the government is able to spy on me?
    No one wants a lens cap. The extra step of removing it before taking a picture would suck. In the 70's it was common for people to forget the lens cap was on and take the picture anyway since the viewer didn't go through the lens.
    If you are doing things that put you at risk of the government spying on you, the always on feature of the X is the least of your worries. Mining that much data isn't feasible unless you are already on some sort of watch list. They could spy on you many other ways outside of your phone that are more effective and efficient.
    The advanced voice recognition and commands are features that represent a natural evolution in how we use technology. Sure, some people will find ways to exploit it just like they currently do with existing technology. But the X phone is not part of the NSA's conspiracy to listen to everyone's conversation.
    Obviously this phone has features that don't appeal to you and concern you. But some of us are interested in it and look forward to using/buying it.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    First, the idea was "(f)or those capable of independent thought and problem analysis." Further, you are not "reflecting" at all; your responses have the tone and depth of knee-jerk reflexes.

You're not keeping up. You haven't studied the Gus Hunt video, that's evident. You don't seem to have caught the gist of my six-point reply to Jasaero, either. If you want to challenge my arguments, I welcome that, but please make an effort to understand them first.

Example: Obviously, a link here between case makers and the NSA is absurd, that's your creation. The question is subtler. Try, though(t) — you can do this.

Ask yourself why, since no one wants lens caps, it's just as hard to find a quality camera without a lens cap as it is to find a smartphone with one.

If you are doing things that put you at risk of the government spying on you, the always on feature of the X is the least of your worries.
    Very sad. This point has already bounced around here quite a bit. So those who are reading along know its weaknesses already.

Just one more thought; you need to ditch the PRISM tunnel vision. It's important, but *far* from the whole story.

♪Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There's a huge difference in the lens of an expensive, high quality camera and a cell phone camera lens.

You're giving the government too much credit if you think they are able to influence consumer demand like that.

You are obsessing on the wrong thing. It is not the technology such as the always on feature that should concern you, it's the use of mining the information from it that is supposed to be protected. Years ago were you worried about having a GPS in your phone? It takes away your privacy but the advantages it provides outweighs the concern. I know, that proves your point that we are becoming complicit in the scheme to be constantly monitored. If you're not doing anything wrong, why should we care that the NSA could figure out where I went? Being able to use navigation from GPS satellites improves our lives significantly.

I will not waste more of my time falling into your paranoid trap of debating the end of a free society through voice activated commands on the X phone. I read about Gus' comments and there is nothing surprising about the fact that data is saved forever. And that people can be tracked through their mobile devices even when they are off. That hasn't changed with the x phone. I'm certainly not smart enough to follow the ramblings in your 6 point argument. I care a lot about protecting my Constitutional rights and freedoms but refuse to believe that the x phone is part of a conspiracy to take them away.

I'm only here to find out features and people's experiences with the X phone and if there will be a Play Store edition available for Verizon. I'm also curious if there are other x phone models in the works besides the cheaper version.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    OK. Can ANYONE come up with a practical, cogent, and compelling explanation for the near total unavailability of camera lens caps on cellular devices or their cases? Cost factors, obviously, do not work here.

This question is clearly relevant to those who care about their privacy and are considering buying a Moto X8 or Snapdragon 800 powered device with 'always on' voice command controls.
    ~~~~~~

First, given how little you had to work with, seoward, that's a respectable piece of persuasive prose. Not sure the ad hominem helped.

I will not waste more of my time falling into your paranoid trap of debating the end of a free society through voice activated commands on the X phone.
    Really? You wouldn't lie to us, would you?

I'm only here to find out features and people's experiences with the X phone and if there will be a Play Store edition available for Verizon. I'm also curious if there are other x phone models in the works besides the cheaper version.
    Don't let me sidetrack you. Chug on by.

There's a huge difference in the lens of an expensive, high quality camera and a cell phone camera lens.
    Meaning my cell camera lens isn't worth protecting? Lens caps are expensive, I suppose. Yes?

It seems fair to wonder if more spur-of-the-moment cell photos might not be marred by a dirty lens than spoiled by a forgotten lens cap. The latter point, as you noted, doesn't relate here anyway.

Both of your lens cap explanations strike me as shallow, stretchy, and contrived. You're capable of better – think some, don't just react like that.

You're giving the government too much credit if you think they are able to influence consumer demand like that.
    I don't. You're the one with the government fixation that you keep projecting onto me.

You are obsessing on the wrong thing. It is not the technology such as the always on feature that should concern you, it's the use of mining the information from it that is supposed to be protected.
    It's both – synergistically.

Years ago were you worried about having a GPS in your phone? It takes away your privacy but the advantages it provides outweighs the concern. I know, that proves your point that we are becoming complicit in the scheme to be constantly monitored. …Being able to use navigation from GPS satellites improves our lives significantly.
    I don't see that. Mine stays off. I haven't needed it in years, I know how to read a map, though.

If you're not doing anything wrong, why should we care that the NSA could figure out where I went?
    Loose paraphrase of WJC: It depends on how wrong your interpretation of the word 'wrong' is. And – even more – it depends on who's making the interpretation.

You've presented this dangerously irresponsible idea twice, which leaves me with a choice. Must I doubt your intelligence, or your sincerity? You obviously know enough about the relevant rudiments of history to know better.

I read about Gus' comments and there is nothing surprising about the fact that data is saved forever. And that people can be tracked through their mobile devices even when they are off. That hasn't changed with the x phone
    You should watch the video. There's more:
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2917842
    I care a lot about protecting my Constitutional rights and freedoms…
    Enough to think and wonder? Enough to see slow erosion as a threat. Enough to fight *before* they're gone?

I… refuse to believe that the x phone is part of a conspiracy to take them away.
    Did I say that? Knee-jerk again, you're better than that.
    You are obsessing on the wrong thing.

I will not waste more of my time falling into your paranoid trap…

I'm certainly not smart enough to follow the ramblings in your 6 point argument.
    So, was the ad hominem really worth it?

PRISM & room641a + ubiquitous data mining + exponential rise in Android malware + always-on voice-command + no lens caps = reasonable doubt.

I guess what irks me is that I shouldn't have to wonder IF I need to take the battery out of my cellphone or not before making love to my wife.

♪Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-18-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast