Thread: Net 10 no data when roaming?

Feedback Score

Net 10 no data when roaming?

I am considering porting my number from page plus to Net 10 using a 50$ unlimited plan with an att samsung galaxy s2. In researching I came up with a serious problem. As far as I can tell data will not work if I leave my local area? I cant imagine that would be the case as it seems impossible that I wouldnt have data if I traveled to another area of the us. I live half of the year in upstate ny (12845) and half the year in fl (33334). Ive searched and have come up with very little info regarding this. I called cs today and they confirmed this but I trust users more than I trust cs.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is this not the case on straight talk? Id rather not shell out the $$ for the inflated ST sims on ebay but will if I have to.

Thanks in advance,
    James

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcac27 View Post
    As far as I can tell data will not work if I leave my local area?
    That hasn't been my experience. I live and work 400 mi apart, and I have used my phone on the other side of the country as well.
    Samsung GT-N8000 on AT&T
    HTC First on Net10/AT&T

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    That hasn't been my experience. I live and work 400 mi apart, and I have used my phone on the other side of the country as well.
    Thanks for confirming what I thought. I guess its a situation specific type thing with maybe spotty service locations and/or certain phones. It sounded to crazy to be true.

I just activated my phone, took about an hour and so far so good. I seem to have gotten the apns entered with a little trial and error and I'm getting data and mms. Well see when I travel.

Thanks again.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The term roaming usually means that you are outside the coverage area of your primary service provider. For example Page Plus is a Verizon-based service provider, so whenever someone is outside of Verizon's network the phone would be roaming. On post-paid Verizon customers can get extended area coverage (roaming) that includes voice, text, and data from other service providers (Sprint, US Cellular, etc). Some prepaid services offer voice and text roaming, which means you can use voice and text outside of the primary service provider's coverage area, and Page Plus offers roaming voice service for additional cost. Data roaming in the world of prepaid phone service is extremely uncommon, so typically prepaid phone services can only use cellular data when the phone is on the primary service provider's network. Most likely you will not be able to use data while outside of the primary service provider's coverage area (roaming).

Since you want to use an AT&T-based prepaid service, you can only expect to be able to use cellular data when you are on the AT&T network. Basically if you look at AT&T data coverage maps you will not have access to cellular data in the areas marked partner, which indicates data roaming. There may be places where cellular coverage maps are inaccurate, but generally the two zip codes you listed appear to be within native AT&T service areas, so typically you can expect cellular data coverage similar to AT&T in those areas.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcac27 View Post
    I am considering porting my number from page plus to Net 10 using a 50$ unlimited plan with an att samsung galaxy s2. In researching I came up with a serious problem. As far as I can tell data will not work if I leave my local area?
    James
    Are you confusing what your home phone company calls your local area?
    Look at your cell providers coverage map, everything all across the USA in color is your "local area" (home). You only lose data when roaming on another providers network in the non colored areas of the map. Some parts of the Country have more non colored areas than others.