Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MetroPCS unlocking policy ?

Feedback Score

MetroPCS unlocking policy ?

What is the unlocking policy for MetroPCS branded GSM phones ? A link is apprecated .
    Last edited by bamx2; 08-05-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    What is the unlocking policy for MetroPCS (GSM) phones ? A link is apprecated .
    only policy is corporate stores cannot unlock devices, you would have to go through a dealer or 2nd/3rd party if you need it unlocked, then you can take it to a corporate/dealer to have the device added and provisioned as long as it's compatible.
    HITMAN OF THE METRO MAFIA

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    It's supposed to be after 3 months (90 days) of paying your bill(on time) you should be able to call to be able to unlock it

Feedback Score
    In theory if you are buying the phone out right since there is no contract it shouldnt be an issue to unlock it HOWEVER since the no unlocking law passed and every gsm phone from metro is coming after the law they probably wont have an unlocking policy pretty much they just wont offer unlocking so you would have to find a third party to do it

Sent with the HoFo App on my IPHONE 5

Feedback Score
    That is what I was thinking but I can't find it on their website . Anyone have a link ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gman9831 View Post
    It's supposed to be after 3 months (90 days) of paying your bill(on time) you should be able to call to be able to unlock it

Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    it's all internal stuff

Feedback Score
    I just got a metro PCS locked LG Motion delivered to me in Peru locked. Have spent the entire day seeking a solution. Got it rooted only to see it still asking for a metro PCS sim? Any clues as to where to buy an unlock SIM code or better yet free?
    Thanks if any can offer some direction.

Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerinperu View Post
    I just got a metro PCS locked LG Motion delivered to me in Peru locked. Have spent the entire day seeking a solution. Got it rooted only to see it still asking for a metro PCS sim? Any clues as to where to buy an unlock SIM code or better yet free?
    Thanks if any can offer some direction.
    There's no point to unlocking it,it's CDMA, not GSM, unless you have a Peruvian carrier that supports CDMA devices, all that device is good for is a miniature tablet unfortunately.

Carriers
    Sprint,
    AT&T GoPhone, MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Is there an update to this? I'd like to buy a Kyo Hydro XTRM at Metro for $49, and unlock it. Is it true that with this new law they will not unlock phones??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dougm View Post
    Is there an update to this? I'd like to buy a Kyo Hydro XTRM at Metro for $49, and unlock it. Is it true that with this new law they will not unlock phones??
    Third parties are not legally allowed to unlock phones, but carriers are. MetroPCS phones are subsidized. (Example, look at the original prices of the LG F3 on T-Mobile Prepaid and MetroPCS.) MetroPCS's phones are locked for use exclusively on MetroPCS. (You can't use a MetroPCS phone on T-Mobile without a carrier unlock, but you are able to use a T-Mobile locked phone on T-Mobile MVNOs.) In order to recover part of their subsidy, they'll require you maintain the phone active on your line for 3 months (90 days). After that point, you can call to request the unlock code.
    Last edited by JulyWasHere; 02-23-2014 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Missing word

Carriers
    Sprint,
    AT&T GoPhone, MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    JulyWasHere: Thanks. I figured as much. Aio's policy is similar. Do you have a link to the official unlock policy? My google searching and browsing their site was fruitless.

Carriers
    Sprint,
    AT&T GoPhone, MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyWasHere View Post
    maintain the phone active on your line for 3 months (90 days).
    This to me needs clarification. Say if I buy this phone, I use it for 1 day, then swap the SIM card into another phone I already own and use that for 89 days, then swap the SIM back into the purchased phone on the 90th day, does this qualify as "active on the line" for the 3 months? Or would I have to actually use that phone for the entire 90 day period?

Feedback Score
    JulyWasHere: Thanks. I figured as much. Aio's policy is similar. Do you have a link to the official unlock policy? My google searching and browsing their site was fruitless.
    There is no official documentation available online for their unlock policy. It's all internal. However, if you would like an official, text confirmation, contact metroPCS on Facebook or Twitter.

This to me needs clarification. Say if I buy this phone, I use it for 1 day, then swap the SIM card into another phone I already own and use that for 89 days, then swap the SIM back into the purchased phone on the 90th day, does this qualify as "active on the line" for the 3 months? Or would I have to actually use that phone for the entire 90 day period?
    From my understanding, it's computer based and upon the 90th consecutive day that the IMEI is active, the system will allow access to request the code from the manufacturer. Regardless of whether my understanding is correct or not, the phone would have to remain active on the line for 90 consecutive days. It's also worth noting that your account is tied to your SIM card, as well as your IMEI number. In order to switch devices, you'd have to call metroPCS to change the IMEI number on the account.
    Last edited by JulyWasHere; 02-23-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: missing words

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure you can get any phone of theirs unlocked from day one with a code which has to be cheaper than using it for 3 months on MetroPCS if its your intention to use it on T-Mo or ATT from day one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can get any phone of theirs unlocked from day one with a code which has to be cheaper than using it for 3 months on MetroPCS if its your intention to use it on T-Mo or ATT from day one.
    Not officially, or legally yet. Under current US Law, it is now illegal to unlock a phone without permission from the carrier. In a civil suit, you can be penalized up to $2,500 per device. In a criminal suit, you can be fined up to $500,000/5 years in prison. Earlier today, the US House of Representatives passed a bill that would give mobile users the ability to unlock their devices, however it must still clear the Senate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast