Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop LTE is Here

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000 Pro, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone Pro, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Sprint LTE service in Western MA is fairly recent. The "Southwick Jog" of Massachusetts goes south of the CT border, so there's some signal spillover from a nearby Southwick, MA tower into North Granby. Half of my street is in North Granby, CT and the other half is in Granville, MA.

Don't expect much of anything of a Sprint signal at home though until (and if) Sprint co-locates on 2 towers near me that are currently only AT&T and Verizon. But this is still good for coverage when I'm traveling, and is a useful backup to my AT&T LTE mifi device. I've also been cutting it very close to the 5 gb allotment on my AT&T device so this will keep me from going over(although never have yet).

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    C Spire
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
    My LTE hotspot is supposed to ship within 3-5 business days(was ordered end of August). Just got an email apologizing for the delay due to a supplier problem and saying they added another 1 gb of bonus data to my account to thank me for my patience.

Will post when I get the modem and also my thoughts on how well it works.
    I hope the second time is a charm on there email that it will ship. I also got yesterdays email that it will ship in 3-5 business days. I hope it is more sound then the email I got on August 26 that it will ship in 5-7 business days. I ordered mine on August 9th so it has been about 47 days. O Well glad there coming.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Given that FreedomPop has had a reputation for slow shipping on devices and this device was released by Sprint only on July 19th, I took the original 2-3 week standard shipping estimate with a grain of salt. Didn't pay extra for the express shipping options because didn't need it right away(AT&T LTE service is currently my primary provider), figured it wasn't in stock or was in very limited stock, and Sprint LTE service is very limited in my current location (although several nearby Sprint towers are slated for LTE upgrades shortly).

But I can't argue with at least 1 gb of free data each month (500 mb LTE only plan plus 500 mb Freedom Friends plus will do a few of their offers each month to get a few more mb). Currently at 3.21 gb for my first month of FreedomPop service with bonuses, etc.

If Sprint really improved coverage near my home, I would seriously considering switching LTE service from AT&T to Sprint once my postpaid contract expires early Feb., 2014. While AT&T LTE service is a good value for 5 gb at ~$46/month with discounts, getting FreedomPop service for free would be even better. Or another alternative is I could use a rooftop LTE Yagi, panel or parabolic antenna to pick up a Sprint LTE signal off a more distant tower (have OTA TV antennas on the roof so no big deal to add in another antenna). If I went that route, I would probably get an LTE home router as an additional device once FreedomPop offers that. There's a Sprint 3G tower by town hall in Granby, CT about a 10 minute drive from my house that started life as a Nextel tower with town public service antennas and now hosts multiple carriers (very quickly approved by the town because they needed a higher public service tower to serve more distant parts of town and to accommodate public service digital services...Nextel provided the tower for free and pays a monthly rent fee). According to CT Siting Council databases, Sprint will be changing the tower over to dual band LTE antennas (most likely 1900 mhz and 800 mhz smr bands). Or I could try to pick off a Sprint LTE signal off the Southwick, MA Sprint LTE tower that's currently live but has very low signal strength at my location without using an external antenna or BDA. Picking a Sprint LTE signal off those 2 towers would be more likely than the two rural North Granby, CT towers near me (one's a stealth tower built around a farmer's silo) that are only Verizon and AT&T...and have no current plans filed with the state for a Sprint co-location.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if any of you guys have received your device. I ordered mine on 9/10 and haven't had any status update yet. Opened a few tickets with FreedomPop, and each time they just gave me 1.0GB free and said it'll ship "shortly".

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    C Spire
    Feedback Score
    I ordered August 9th and they shipped it yesterday. I should get it on Thursday. About time after 2 months. Better late than never like the Iphone sleeve.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Ordered my device on August 27th and hasn't arrived yet. Given the monthly fee of zero for 1gb of Sprint LTE service, I'll be patient.

Given their slow order fulfillment times, I'm going to be careful with the new LTE device when I get it. Got a small digital camera belt case that fits mifi devices well (have a duplicate case for my current AT&T LTE device).

Feedback Score
    Looks like my wait is not going to end any time soon. I signed up for the $3.99 3G/4G service as well. It's free for the first month. I wonder if they'll start charging me for the 2nd month even though I haven't receive my device yet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Almost signed up for the 3g fallback service for $3.99 myself, but decided didn't need it right now (AT&T postpaid LTE plan doesn't expire until February and I haven't decided if I'll switch or just use FreedomPop as a backup). For someone that's depending on the mifi device for sole service, that's a good add-on to have though.

Think they extend the service plan date when they ship so in theory there shouldn't be an additional monthly charge for your $3.99/month add-on.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by altdel View Post
    I wonder if any of you guys have received your device. I ordered mine on 9/10 and haven't had any status update yet. Opened a few tickets with FreedomPop, and each time they just gave me 1.0GB free and said it'll ship "shortly".
    How much data have you accumulated so far from the various trouble tickets?

Feedback Score
    I'm all dressed up (3.7GB) with nowhere to go

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    C Spire
    Feedback Score
    Wow they are 2 months late shipping the LTE device and it does not work when I get it. I had a sim error. Call to tech support states we will have it fixed before 24 hours. Life goes on!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just got a message on my FreedomPop home page "alerts and notifications" section that my LTE device just shipped via FedEx (gives the FedEx number).

Let's see if it works out of the box or tech support will have to fix something...

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    C Spire
    Feedback Score
    Mine just started working. Even though you got a FedEx number the package will be passed off to USPS to put into your mailbox. At least mine did.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Fed-Ex tracking says SmartPost so that is the Fed-Ex to USPS pass-off.

Expiration date of first "month" was extended from Oct 10 to Nov 11 when they handed the box to Fed-Ex.

3.21 gb of free data in the account. Plus based on the 117.2 gb friend data pool and I'm assuming 500 mb of sharable data for each, I've got about 234 Freedom Friends so far(all from posting in the Slickdeals thread on the topic). Have given some data and also received some data...although I can only receive and/or send a max of 500 mb a month.

Looking at the s4gru maps of test markets, there are already several CT test Sprint LTE towers, even though it isn't officially a live market yet. Nearest Sprint LTE coverage is probably coming across the border from Southwick, MA.
    Last edited by GadgetKen; 10-10-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Feedback Score
    Just got an email notification that my Mifi 500 LTE device has shipped. That makes it exactly one month since I placed the order.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast