Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FreedomPop LTE is Here

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000 Pro, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone Pro, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    FreedomPop LTE modem arrived today. Works out of the box after I dropped in the battery pack and gave it a little charge. Home is in a rural area so it only picks up a scrap of a 1x Sprint signal out of some windows, and then immediately roams on 3G Verizon. Interesting thing is menu on device asks me if I want to enable domestic roaming but warns domestic roaming charges may apply. Didn't hit OK on connect to Verizon since I don't want to get hit with a mystery roaming charge...wonder if there is one or it wouldn't allow a connect (thinking of a flashed Novatel 2200 modem I used to use on Boost that worked fine on Sprint but wouldn't connect to Verizon even though it would pick up the Verizon signal in rural areas). Since I only signed up for the LTE freebie plan I doubt it will work on 3G for Sprint or Verizon unless I signed up for the $3.99/month 3g add-on (which I probably won't do because Sprint is building out LTE in my area and I have an AT&T postpaid LTE modem).

A mile or two away I should be able to pick up Southwick, MA based Sprint LTE service so I'll probably try that out tomorrow with my Mac or my Blu Android cellphone in wifi mode. Also will be traveling to NYC on business on Monday so I can try out Sprint LTE there.

Yippee! Brings back memories of ad-supported dial-up service before the dot.com advertising bubble burst. Now if I add an LTE wideband yagi to the top of a directional tv antenna on the roof, I should in theory be able to pick up the Sprint LTE towers a few miles away....but I'll probably have to do an inductive pickup to the modem (don't think it has an antenna jack).
    Last edited by GadgetKen; 10-16-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    On a bus to a business meeting in New York City. Testing out the FreedomPop LTE device on a foggy highway enroute somewhere in New York State(684-S). Impressed on speed. Speedtest:

and midtown NYC near central park on the way back:

Back home I'm just picking up 3g or 1x on Sprint or Verizon roaming. I didn't pick up LTE in Southwick, MA when I returned a video over the weekend(at least no LTE in the shopping plaza I was in). Probably will stick with AT&T LTE for home use but keep FreedomPop for another modem for travel. Maybe with Softbank owning most of Sprint now, Sprint will co-locate on more towers.
    Last edited by GadgetKen; 10-21-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    And a Sprint 3g signal out the 3rd floor window in an office park in Windsor, CT near I-91. Direct line of sight within a few thousand feet to a cell tower. Sprint here is currently 3g or wimax but not LTE yet (the tower is slated for upgrade shortly according to the CT Siting Council website).

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Evidently they have pulled the Mifi 500 device off here. I have checked several different zips and cant find an LTE device

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DSS4Free View Post
    Evidently they have pulled the Mifi 500 device off here. I have checked several different zips and cant find an LTE device
    It's still there, but according to a post on their Facebook page, the LTE order page web address changed. Clear out any FreedomPop cookies from your browser and go to: http://www.freedompop.com/devices/freedom-spot-lte

You can get it for any zipcode. If the address entered is for a non-LTE area, than a pop-up will ask if you want to continue anyway. Looks like the price is higher now though at $199 plus postage. Still a decent deal for a tri-band LTE/dual band 3G device with no contract...particularly if used with the 500 mb light usage free plan (which winds up being really 1 gb a month if you sign up a lot of FreedomFriends). If you use more on a regular basis you can always upgrade to one of their moderate usage paid plans. Be patient if you do order an LTE device, it took a few weeks for me to finally get mine due to a supplier delay...it's worth the wait.
    Last edited by GadgetKen; 11-04-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: corrected spelling...

Feedback Score
    The LTE device for the next couple of weeks is only available through a promotion they are doing with, I believe, stacksocial. The higher price includes free shipping and a one year trial of a few of their addons (data rollover, usage alerts, kaspersky protection and one other item).

Ordered one about 10 days ago and it is expected to ship next week.

Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3