Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shutdown of CDMA network

Feedback Score

Shutdown of CDMA network

There is a new promotion specifically for trade-in credits on CDMA devices, which I would say is quite telling with all that is going on. With rumours of Verizon entering the Canadian market (again, lol) and the 700mhz auction closing in (bid submissions this fall), I would wager that Telus is starting to fast track the shutdown of their network to free spectrum for HSPA.
    Nothing has been said, however I would also forsee an announcement a PTT on their HSPA or LTE network (freeing 800mhz spectrum for LTE). The last I've heard, they intend to keep it running until the end of 2014.

Phone
    Blackberry 9700 Bold, Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I doubt this is Verizon related
    More likely to force clients into a new contract on one of the current in market plans (since if on CDMA phone chances are they have some grandfathered package)
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Phones
    Q10 (active)
    Z10 (retired)
    Bold 9900 (retired)
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I doubt they'd shut it down until Verizon and Sprint are ready to shut it down, because then how would they roam? Also, Public Mobile roams on CDMA. In some parts of the country, CDMA has better coverage than HSPA, such as Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Thunder Bay where they've chosen to align with Rogers for HSPA. That means TELUS needs to build their own network in those spots rather than using MTS, SaskTel, or Tbaytel. However, existing CDMA roaming agreements should still be intact so for some they might stick to CDMA. There's also a lot of other equipment they'd need to swap out, like data modems used out in oil fields for equipment monitoring and things like OnStar on GM vehicles which utilise the CDMA network for communications. Until the Yanks make a move, CDMA will still be around.

Phone
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X1
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCM View Post
    In some parts of the country, CDMA has better coverage than HSPA, such as Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Thunder Bay where they've chosen to align with Rogers for HSPA. That means TELUS needs to build their own network in those spots rather than using MTS, SaskTel, or Tbaytel.
    In Saskatchewan, you aren't able to activate new CDMA handsets. Only existing CDMA clients can use the old network, but if their phone breaks or if they want to upgrade or change handsets they must switch to HSPA. But since TELUS and SaskTel share networks, it is possible that the SK CDMA "stop sell" was SaskTel mandated.

Phone
    Motorola Defy
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Telus has been phasing out AutoTel for 20 years and it's still around if you know the right people.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Cdma is not dead ;p and if you need a cheap flip phone ... cdma is the solution !

Feedback Score
    The shutdown of the CDMA network makes plenty of sense, as Telus does not do any new activations for CDMA phones nor do they carry any CDMA phones anymore.
    I do have a correction on my part about CDMA coverage in Manitoba outside of Winnipeg: Telus signed a roaming agreement to have coverage, so they would only free up spectrum for HSPA in Winnipeg.

Feedback Score
    Does Telus REALLY need the spectrum for UMTS/HSPA+ on 850/1900!?

Remember CDMA2000 only uses 1.25MHz or 2.5MHz per pair.

Telus can take the AT&T method in heavy urban areas and build more cell sites in areas like Vancouver/Toronto. AT&T is doing this in NYC and decreasing 2G/EDGE spectrum and increasing UMTS/HSPA+ spectrum. AT&T has now a minimal amount of GSM/EDGE spectrum in NYC and now runs 5 carriers of UMTS/HSPA+ in NYC. (yes that's 50MHz of UMTS over 850/1900!).

Feedback Score
    They don't need more towers, just more spectrum. You can build all the towers in the world (which often faces strong opposition), and your speeds will be the same. Sure you might have better coverage, but doesn't help much if the network get's taxed with more and more users.

Feedback Score
    Telus just announced they will no longer sell any CDMA phones through any of its channels (store, online, over the phone). Really just a confirmation of what we all knew, but a sign that they are making steps to migrate people to the HSPA network.

Feedback Score
    Is this the same with Bell?

Phone
    SGS2 LTE
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by asher__jo View Post
    They don't need more towers, just more spectrum. You can build the towers in the world (which often faces strong opposition), and your speeds will be the same. Sure you might have better coverage, but doesn't help much if the network get's taxed with more and more users.
    More sites = more capacity = less bottleneck on a network. That is why in large cities a site covers a smaller area and have in-buildings.

More spectrum helps but will not resolve the capacity problems in the long run.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by asher__jo View Post
    as Telus does not do any new activations for CDMA phones.
    Telus self-serve still allows you to do a new CDMA activation yourself. Quite a while ago, some people were saying that CDMA devices couldn't be activated at all and that they could only be used as doorstoppers; however, that wasn't true and the phones could still be activated.

Feedback Score
    More sites does help, but it does not solve the problem of Telus only having 10mhz of spectrum for HSPA in Manitoba.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have only 1900 mhz don t help telus too for covetage

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast