Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shutdown of CDMA network

Feedback Score
    The real issue here is.

They can shut-down the network when there is COMPARABLE coverage in Canadian rural areas like full coverage in Manitoba and the trans-Canada highway from Sault Ste. Marie to Winnipeg.

Maybe they can work out a roaming deal with MTS and Tbaytel.

Carriers
    WIND Mobile
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by computergeek541 View Post
    Telus self-serve still allows you to do a new CDMA activation yourself. Quite a while ago, some people were saying that CDMA devices couldn't be activated at all and that they could only be used as doorstoppers; however, that wasn't true and the phones could still be activated.
    Yes,I was the one asking that question plus another member. I thought it was a yes until this one you just replied to. conflicting info. Is this new change? I haven't tested the activation do far as I have no current need but a friend will.

Sent with the HoFo App
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
    Yes,I was the one asking that question plus another member. I thought it was a yes until this one you just replied to. conflicting info. Is this new change? I haven't tested the activation do far as I have no current need but a friend will.
    I can't remember exactly how long ago that was but I think it was during the spring that we were talking about that. What I can tell you is this: I had a few Telus CDMA phones that I sold off to people who needed them. I believe I got rid of the last one in May. I know for sure that the CDMA phones that I had were allowed to be activated and in fact, were actually activated. This was despite customers being told that it couldn't be done. I checked the ESN numbers of the few of them and after I sold them, and the self-activation page reported those ESN numbers as already active on the network (they weren't before I sold them). I would not at all be surprised if nothing has really changed and that CDMA devices are still good to go, even for new activations.

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    BCG-E2817A, BCG-E2816A, IHDT56PG3, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    asher__jo,

Greetings.

CDMA network, of course, will be phased out one day. Verizon has set its date to 2021 and I have already posted about the shut down of CDMA 1900 network in some regions a while back then. However, the complete CDMA shutdown will not happen just in a year or so even TELUS is no longer allow CDMA handset activations or shutting down CDMA network in the PCS spectrum in certain regions.

el_so,

Greetings.

In the urban settings, more sites are NOT the solution for more capacity. To be exact, more available spectrum for more bandwidth means more capacities. In fact, more sites packed within a relatively closer proximity could create more interferences. Also, the range of the coverage in densely populated areas is less important too. There is a recent piece on Fierce Wireless which touching a related topic in the US... http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...urce=pulsenews
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Article in the globe and mail Telus weight shutting down one of their legacy networks. Looks like they are serious about this.

Telus Corp. is eyeing a potential shut down of at least one of its legacy wireless networks over the next two years.

The Vancouver-based telecom, which is looking to rein in costs across its businesses, sees the potential to save money by decommissioning its older CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) network as growing numbers of its customers upgrade to smartphones that run on its ultra-fast LTE (Long-Term Evolution) network.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle14407069/

Carriers
    WIND Mobile
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The article on Globe and Mail mentioned both CDMA and iDEN (i.e. Mike) and not just CDMA, so more accurately speaking, Telus weighed shutting down 2 of their (legacy) networks, not one, as oblender quoted, as far as I can read from the article.

From the user size point of view, it makes more sense to shut down Mike than CDMA, because roaming requirement is much less (Sprint gone, the biggest player, of former Nextel), while CDMA still has a lot of users, and then also, some potential roaming revenue.

As for if Telus allows activation of CDMA devices, I don't understand why they won't unless they have set a sunset date for the network. So if they don't allow it at the moment (but this is not shown, according to computergeek541, it was still good half a year ago, if not now), then it hints at an internal sunset date which should be coming (I'd say 1 year is the length when they would prevent people to sign up, knowing that they will have to give a trade in promo at the end later, so a cost). But if they do allow it, then I would say it should be at least 1 year out.

So why such an alarming title in this thread? This thread going on a month now, no new evidence was brought by others or the OP on this. I know Mark Twain would remark on this.

Feedback Score
    I know this is a dead Thread .. But FYI ..

Bell Canada Just activated a CDMA phone for me today, SO CDMA roaming/CDMA access should be fine for quite some time hell they even gave me a 5$/month credit for new activations

Phones
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
    So why such an alarming title in this thread? This thread going on a month now, no new evidence was brought by others or the OP on this.
    For what it's worth, as I write this the last two posts on the Public Mobile blog are about moving everyone to the GSM/HSPA/LTE network: http://blog.publicmobile.ca/ So it does seem that Telus is pretty focused on keeping people off of the CDMA2000 network.

That said, I expect how Telus' old AMPS (AKA analog/analogue) network was treated in its latter days will prove to be instructive. There, they let the AMPS network slowly atrophy as equipment failed (even moving equipment around at times, when AMPS equipment in a high-traffic area died, and they had an AMPS site in a low-traffic area nearby). Only once enough of the equipment had failed, and enough of the customers had moved onto the digital network, did they force the remaining few people to do so. At that point the revenue was little enough, and the advantage of removing the remaining slivers of spectrum over to digital were significant enough, that it was worth the cost. Telus even said that they were unable to get new AMPS equipment (though, honestly, I question that; I think it was more about needing the spectrum, and it being unprofitable to maintain a network that, by that time, had terribly few people on it).

Telus has customers with old IS-95/1xRTT/EVDO handsets, and I'm guessing they're receiving roaming revenue from Americans with similar handsets, so they won't want to give that revenue up. It's costly to pull down a whole network, and it's costly to subsidise customers upgrading their handsets, so it can be better to let a legacy network "wither on the vine", earn as much revenue as you can from it, and defer the shutdown costs to future quarters. The trick is, they have to dedicate slices of their spectrum to it (though they can reduce the amount of spectrum dedicated to it over time). Once the traffic on the old network is so low that it's a waste of spectrum, they'll finally hit the kill switch, but probably not before then.

Regarding timeframe, Telus rolled out their original IS-95 digital network in the late '90s, but didn't fully remove the AMPS network until 2009. Though, by that point, digital coverage was (for the most part) actually broader than AMPS due to all new network deployments for several years not also including AMPS. There were a few very unprofitable areas that still had analogue that they hadn't, by that time, upgraded to digital, but very few. Telus was also the last of the national providers to take down their analogue network (two years after Rogers had done the same, for example), which bodes well. So if that 10 year window is any gauge, the CMDA2000 network might have another 5 years or so left in it.

Phones
    iPhone 5, a Novatel LTE data stick, and many others
    iPhone 5 (unlocked)
    iPhone 4 (unlocked)
    Carriers
    SaskTel
    Rogers (10 GB data plan)
    Feedback Score
    SaskTel Mobility announced recently that it's turning EvDO down later this year. CDMA will still remain, however.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, PagePlus 619 & 727

GSM phones: iPhone 5, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, Nokia Nuron (AWS 3G), Otech F1 (quad-SIM 2G GSM), Nokia E63, Sony-Ericsson K610i, Sony-Ericsson Z310i. All unlocked. and a bunch of data sticks.

Phones
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    SaskTel Mobility announced recently that it's turning EvDO down later this year. CDMA will still remain, however.
    EVDO is part of the CDMA2000 spec. By "CDMA" do you mean 1xRTT? Or do you mean only IS-95, the original so-called "CDMA" specification? Because everything 3G uses a CDMA air-interface, including UMTS. But I usually see people referring to IS-95 and all its direct descendants as "CDMA".

Carriers
    Telus
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Telus has definitely started turning the CDMA network down. Areas that had full 1X/EVDO CDMA service no longer has 1X anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Phones
    RIM9790
    RIM 9790
    Motorola Q
    Carriers
    Wind
    the company formerly known as Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9790; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1098 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    That is the story I have heard.

They will be re-purposing the EvDO spectrum and keeping the 1xRTT stuff on line.

The 1x only required 1.25Mhz per channel of spectrum, add in some guard bands and you have 1.5Mhz used (some would say 'wasted') on the legacy technology.

This would allow voice/text and 'EDGE' speed data to continue on all of those Blackberry 9630's still out there.
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Carriers
    WIND Mobile
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I read the announcement that Telus has removed Ev-DO, but not 1xRTT. 1X should still be there.

via the HoFo App

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
    Archived: Motorola Milestone, HTC Touch Diamond CDMA, LG 8100, Samsung A540
    Retired: Panasonic Allure TX310, Nokia 5100 Series PAYG
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    This is Bell's timeline:

March 31, 2014: CDMA EVDO network partner to shut down in BC and Alberta (excluding Edmonton/Calgary)
    December 31, 2014: CDMA 1xRTT network partner to shut down in Thunder Bay
    July 1, 2015: CDMA EVDO network shutdown in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador and PEI; CDMA 1xRTT network shutting down in BC (excluding Fort Nelson), Alberta, parts of Quebec
    January 1, 2017: entire CDMA network to start shutting down

I wouldn't expect Telus to be far off of this. As far as they have said though, they are expecting to shut down the majority of their CDMA network in 2015

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Phones
    RIM9790
    RIM 9790
    Motorola Q
    Carriers
    Wind
    the company formerly known as Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9790; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1098 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote Originally Posted by Logical_guy
    This is Bell's timeline:

March 31, 2014: CDMA EVDO network partner to shut down in BC and Alberta (excluding Edmonton/Calgary)
    December 31, 2014: CDMA 1xRTT network partner to shut down in Thunder Bay
    July 1, 2015: CDMA EVDO network shutdown in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador and PEI; CDMA 1xRTT network shutting down in BC (excluding Fort Nelson), Alberta, parts of Quebec
    January 1, 2017: entire CDMA network to start shutting down

I wouldn't expect Telus to be far off of this. As far as they have said though, they are expecting to shut down the majority of their CDMA network in 2015

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast