Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: LYCAMOBILE experience from actual users

Feedback Score
    Good thread! Sounds like most of the issues arise in situations where it is used as a primary phone. I was gonna try Republic Wireless's $0 plan, but Lycamobile may be almost as cheap and suit my needs just as well. Which are not very demanding, a flip phone that serves as a backup on the rare occasions when I don't want to carry my 8" smartphone.

Feedback Score
    I don't anticipate having any problems with Lycamobile even as my primary phone. The only problem I've had so far has been with their website when I tried to add money to my account for the first time. I ended up going through a dealer -- from now on I'll just do that -- maybe I can even get a small discount sometimes.

Not having a minimum monthly charge on each line is going to affect the way I use my phone. I'll probably start service back up again on an older phone and just use it when I'm doing things that might be risky with an expensive phone (camping, going to a beach, working in wet areas, whatever). It's a bit of a pain to move sim cards back and forth and there's no need when I can put $5 on a sim and it'll just stay there until I've used it all.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    RVaughn, don't forget that you have to have a billable event at least once every 120 days in order to keep your Lycamobile balance from expiring.

Phones
    iPhone
    Nokia n95
    SE z750a
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    FYI, I just tested lycamobile data on my Nexus 4, inside my apartment in the 10021 zip.
    From speedtest.net, ping 287ms / down 5.66Mbps / up 0.37Mbps.
    Data usage as reported from android for speedtest was 9.73MB, total usage 10.17MB.
    Data usage and charge from lycamobile web,
    DATA 10/12/2013 12:50:19 0:00:29 0.1400
    DATA 10/12/2013 12:49:13 0:01:05 0.4800

Access point settings are
    Name: lycamobile
    APN: data.lycamobile.com
    Username: lmus
    Password: plus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maxli View Post
    FYI, I just tested lycamobile data on my Nexus 4, inside my apartment in the 10021 zip.
    From speedtest.net, ping 287ms / down 5.66Mbps / up 0.37Mbps.
    Data usage as reported from android for speedtest was 9.73MB, total usage 10.17MB.
    Data usage and charge from lycamobile web,
    DATA 10/12/2013 12:50:19 0:00:29 0.1400
    DATA 10/12/2013 12:49:13 0:01:05 0.4800

Access point settings are
    Name: lycamobile
    APN: data.lycamobile.com
    Username: lmus
    Password: plus
    I feel that the speed is OK on Lycamobile -- not great, but OK. But if you're on a pay as you go plan, you won't want to leave data on all the time. I only use ~100 MB a month, but I'd be billed for several times that in 1 cent charges. Instead of adding up all the use over some period, it seems like every single access (even a few bytes) is billed a minimum of 1 cent.

This isn't that big a deal for me. I'm in wifi most of the time when I'm using data. When I'm not in wifi, I can just toggle data on when I need something, off when I'm done.

I was already considering a dual-sim phone from Blu -- this might be another reason to get one. I can use an airvoice sim for data (which, I believe, has the same rate for data but without the problem with small charges) and Lycamobile for calls (at half the price per minute of airvoice's plan). And, as a bonus, if I ever have to make a call out of T-mobile's area, I can just use the airvoice account, so I'll have really good coverage. I'm a very light voice customer, but this will still save me a few dollars every month (plus other family members make a lot of international calls and lycamobile's plan will save them even more -- they can call relatives in Europe for less than airvoice's rate within the US!)

Has anybody tried Lycamobile's "refer a friend" deal? I'm wondering if I can use that to set up an account on an older phone, put $5 or so on it, and practically get the account for free thanks to the $5 referral. (this isn't just a way for me to get "free" service from Lycamobile, I actually want the older phone to be activated so I can use it in places where I would worry about a nice, new phone)

Carrier
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Is it me or does anyone notice that it takes VERY long for incoming calls to go through? I've tested it by using my landline to dial in my lyca number and it took 30 seconds of silence before it started ringing, and sometimes it doesn't even ring at all, it just shows a missed call. I've tried this by dialing in from other phones and it still resulted in long times to receive calls. Tell me it's not just me that this is happening to.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i337 View Post
    Is it me or does anyone notice that it takes VERY long for incoming calls to go through? I've tested it by using my landline to dial in my lyca number and it took 30 seconds of silence before it started ringing, and sometimes it doesn't even ring at all, it just shows a missed call. I've tried this by dialing in from other phones and it still resulted in long times to receive calls. Tell me it's not just me that this is happening to.
    I've never noticed this. Does this happen all the time? Does it only happen in certain locations?

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 710 :: LG Optimus F3 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Not happening for me.
    I tested with my Moms cell and with my Net10 phone and it rang right away.

Sent from my Fantastic G2X
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Carrier
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I've never noticed this. Does this happen all the time? Does it only happen in certain locations?
    I became a lyca user just yesterday and I noticed it right away. This has happened 100% of the time every time I've tried it. I've only tested it at home (3-5 bars) with other family member's phones (AT&T) and homephone.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Not happening for me.
    I tested with my Moms cell and with my Net10 phone and it rang right away.

Sent from my Fantastic G2X
    Thanks for trying. I just tried it again and same problem occurred.

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for trying. I just tried it again and same problem occurred.
    Did you port a number in? Or it could be something to do with it being new.

Carriers
    BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, I can't replicate the problem on my Lycamobile phone. I get a bit of a delay -- maybe up to ten seconds -- but nothing close to 30 seconds.
    RingPlus -- $9.99 "Bella" Plan -- 400 minutes, 400 texts and 300 MBs

Feedback Score
    I became a lyca user just yesterday and I noticed it right away. This has happened 100% of the time every time I've tried it. I've only tested it at home (3-5 bars) with other family member's phones (AT&T) and homephone.
    Give it a try outside your house and see if it makes any difference.

Turn phone off and on again and see if that helps.

If you have another unlocked phone, try the sim card in that phone.

Carrier
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Did you port a number in? Or it could be something to do with it being new.
    Yea it was ported in from AT&T, I just hope that's the case and that it goes away soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    Sorry, I can't replicate the problem on my Lycamobile phone. I get a bit of a delay -- maybe up to ten seconds -- but nothing close to 30 seconds.
    Thanks for trying. I tried it again outside once and got 19 seconds. Not a deal breaker, but it's frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anphone idroid View Post
    Give it a try outside your house and see if it makes any difference.

Turn phone off and on again and see if that helps.

If you have another unlocked phone, try the sim card in that phone.
    Tried it outside once and got 19 seconds, which is still long and unnecessary. I tried restarting several times already and not a difference.

So I put my sim into my mom's phone and it took around 15-19 seconds, which was shorter than yesterday, but still long nonetheless. Interestingly, I put her lyca sim (not ported) into my phone and it took only 7 seconds, which is the norm for her. This is leading me to believe that there are 2 possible factors to my problem: 1. something wrong with my sim or 2. ported number. I will try with my brother later (also ported) and see how that goes.
    Last edited by i337; 10-19-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Feedback Score
    Hello

I just signed up with Lyca last night. I ported two numbers over from t-mobile. I am having a minor issue. Setting up voicemail for my dad's lumia 520. I noticed that if someone leave a voicemail the lumia will not display the voicemail icon on the 520. I never had an issue with t-mobile before. I dont know if its a lumia 520 issue or Lyca. I called Lyca and no one was able to help me out. Kinda sucks that i get no notification when someone leave a voicemail. Any suggestions? btw the Lumia 520 were unlocked by t-mobile. Thanks

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Me too, here!

It is not just you. Now I am believing that it is only with ported in numbers. I have this issue too, I wrote about it/my experience here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...9#post15206529

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast