Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: LYCAMOBILE experience from actual users

Feedback Score

LYCAMOBILE experience from actual users

Hello folks,

I am satisfied T-mobile PAYG user, for quality, not for the rates (yeah, I am cheapskate). I am looking at Lycamobile as an alternative T-mobile provider.

I use my phone only for calls and texts. Occasionally would prefer data just for getting directions on Google Maps when my GPS acts weird.

I liked their option of My Lycamobile, so that I can see actual calls and texts on the website, which Airvoice Wireless does not offer (We have Airvoice and T-mobile at home at the moment) but Airvoice offers a pop up every time it charges for call or text (thats good to know)

I wonder how Lycamobile users rate their experience. What problems they had with Lycamobile? I will be porting my number from T-mobile. What they liked about Lycamobile?
    Any other comment you may think useful here.

Thanks in advance.

Carrier
    ATT postpaid
    Feedback Score
    i liked their rates, but no MMS and no roaming unto ATT are not good.
    http://www.racefansforever.weebly.com// For a Fan's perspective on NASCAR racing.

http://calvarycumberland.org/reveal_fm My latest project...programming a radio station

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php For good information about safety razor shaving, and straight edge shaving

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 :: Fierce 2 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by noelm View Post
    Hello folks,

I am satisfied T-mobile PAYG user, for quality, not for the rates (yeah, I am cheapskate). I am looking at Lycamobile as an alternative T-mobile provider.

I use my phone only for calls and texts. Occasionally would prefer data just for getting directions on Google Maps when my GPS acts weird.

I liked their option of My Lycamobile, so that I can see actual calls and texts on the website, which Airvoice Wireless does not offer (We have Airvoice and T-mobile at home at the moment) but Airvoice offers a pop up every time it charges for call or text (thats good to know)

I wonder how Lycamobile users rate their experience. What problems they had with Lycamobile? I will be porting my number from T-mobile. What they liked about Lycamobile?

Thanks in advance.
    I have been using it since early May and just love it.
    The My Lycamobile is terrific. The call history is great.
    I have T Mobile prepaid alao and it would be nice if they offered something like that.
    My T Mobile prepaid accounts are the Grandfathered plan thatil is very good on days I will be talking a lot. They are the old $1 Pay by the day plan.

But Lycamobile with the 2 cent per minute paygo is excellent and the free incoming texts are an outstanding value.
    In fact I wish I could sell one of my 2 T Mobile accounts.
    I rate the call quality as outstanding, I have never had a dropped call and voice sounds great on either end ofthe calls.
    Currently my Lyca SIM is in a Samsung Sunburst and it shows a strong signal.at all times.
    I do live in area area that T Mobile has 'refarmed' so in the house the signal is always strong.
    When I had the Lyca SIM in a 3G phone the 3G symbol was always there showing a strong signal.
    I have not used data with Lyca because I am always near WiFi so don't need to use t.
    I did not port in anumber but got one from a suburb 3 miles from my house, that is local.
    I would not have cared what number they assigned me anyway but it was nice to get a local one anyway.
    The number they assigned to me must have been a 'fresh' one because I have never gotten any calls to it from someone wanting to contact whoever may have had the number before me or any texts to the number from strangers.

I see many people here who have never used Lycamobile bashing it because they have read bad things others have had to say but I have never had any bad expierance at all with Lyca since I finally recieved the SIM card and set up my account.

I see that as people who are having problems with it post here about the problems, and that is fine, this is a forum about different cell phone providers and if someone is having difficulties with their servie it is good to talk about it and see if they can get some advice or to vent about problems they are having.

It is also good for people who, like me are very happy with the service to speak up about that too.

I see many many complaints on the Straight Talk subforum and the other subforums for the other service providers too.
    My Uncle has Straight Talk and has for a few years now and has no problems with it. He uses the $30 plan.

The only thing I had that was not perfect was the wait for the SIM. It did take longer than I exoected it to, about 11 days.

I do realize that some folks here did have problems with Lycamobile and I do not discount the problems they had.

I am just stating how it is working for me personally.
    I have never needed to call their CS even one time so I can't say how well or not Lyca's customer service reps are.
    I have not needed to use data with them so I cannot tell you if it is good or not.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using HowardForums
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Ringplus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/7.0.5/30.3697; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

been a customer a couple months and happy.port went thru in less than 24 hours.no funny charges and call quality is great.

Feedback Score
    I posted my experience 2 days ago on the other thread, "Lycamobile coming to the U.S. and Canada", page 52, currently the last post there.

The upfront cost is so minimal that you should just try it out first to see if you like it, before porting.

You can get 2 sims for 99 cents on ebay, and you'll get them in 2 days or so. Try it out with the first sim with a new number for a couple of weeks. If you like it then port your number with the 2nd sim. You can still use the first sim on a backup phone, or give it to a friend or relative. Don't need to throw it away since it never expires. Or you can probably call Lyca and transfer the money to your 2nd sim.

Carrier
    Many
    Feedback Score
    I use lycamobile SIM in a Verizon Note 2.
    I'm in Lawton, OK.
    The data is slow.
    The talk\text works fine.
    The monthly bill is very low.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by booda3000 View Post
    I use lycamobile SIM in a Verizon Note 2.
    I'm in Lawton, OK.
    The data is slow.
    The talk\text works fine.
    The monthly bill is very low.
    Data is slow because the Verizon Note 2 doesn't have the correct frequencies to even get 3G speeds on the T-Mo network that Lycamobile uses in your location.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala..._cdma-5152.php
    I'm just trying to clarify that the slow data speeds in this case are a limitation of the device, not Lycamobile.

Carrier
    Many
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Data is slow because the Verizon Note 2 doesn't have the correct frequencies to even get 3G speeds on the T-Mo network that Lycamobile uses in your location.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala..._cdma-5152.php
    I'm just trying to clarify that the slow data speeds in this case are a limitation of the device, not Lycamobile.
    Duh.......

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Nothing is ever exactly perfect

Quote Originally Posted by noelm View Post
    Hello folks,

Thanks in advance.
    Located in Boston, MA here
    Been with Lyca 3 weeks
    I think they still have kinks to work out
    Not sure if I will be staying for the long-term
    Another post indicated there was difficulty in porting out, making me concerned about losing my number that I have had forever
    These are only my experiences and opinions applicable only to me and my phone here in Boston and what you encounter may be totally different.

The Good:
    Porting in took less than 24 hours
    Voice clarity is really good
    It is exactly what I need as I only need voice minutes and it is very cheap(est) for pay-as-you go

The Bad:
    When calling my number on Lycamobile there seems to be a hesitation before it connects to ring (I don't know if it is because it is like a two-step process and has to bounce off T-Mobile) I have actually tried this myself and if I were calling me, I might hang up thinking it is not going through because of the dead air space from time of send to actual ringing, it is noticibly longer than usual/normal

I ordered 3 SIMs (1 regular standard size with a $5 value added and 2 Nanos)
    I never to this day got the Nanos and the PIN was attached to the wrong one. Customer service was clueless over the phone when I explained my situation after the first attempt to load and I ended up just was trying all the pin combos from the email since I did not get the other 2.

Remote access to voicemail does not exist (at least for me). I have a VOIP landline and another cell and I either get "This service is not available" or "This facility does not exist for this subscriber" when I call the number stated on the website to access the voicemail system. Note: I can access voicemail perfectly fine via the phone itself but the point is if the phone is dead on battery or missing in action, I'll have no way in.
    I've called until I can no longer explain the situation, escalated it, emailed and emailed to complaints (escalation) to no reply. When I have called they just tell me that there is no problem with the voicemail system. Yes, unless you are trying to remote access. My issue with this is that it's advertised as an available feature on their website.
    Last edited by lchan120; 08-14-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Carriers
    BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lchan120 View Post
    I ordered 3 SIMs (1 regular standard size with a $5 value added and 2 Nanos)
    I never to this day got the Nanos and the PIN was attached to the wrong one. Customer service was clueless over the phone when I explained my situation after the first attempt to load and I ended up just was trying all the pin combos from the email since I did not get the other 2.
    Wow, that sounds similar to my experience. Ordered three SIMS (on with $5 on it to save s/h) and only got to of the SIMS. (I think they need to go with someone else other than Alliance Fulfillment.) The one that came with $5 credit activated but would not add the $5. I followed the instructions, no go, called customer service (four days in a row) and kept getting "that will be taken care of in 24 hours" and twice I got "escalations" to their "higher" tech department. Still, nothing happened. Then -- on about the sixth day -- I decided to try the other SIM to see if they accidentally glued the wrong SIM to the $5 "voucher." It activated, didn't have $5 credit either, but at least when I followed the "enter the pin" instructions it accepted it (with 0 balance, which was right). So then I tried the $5 SIM again and -- this time -- it worked. So, I'm guessing, their system was not working correctly and they were just stonewalling me until it got fixed. I never received another word from their tech department.

So, the experience here wasn't particularly positive, but I did end up getting my $5 credit (still using it) and two of the three SIMs I ordered. And the price makes it worth using. I don't think, at this point however, that I would port a cherished number into Lycamobile. I think I'll wait to see how well they "settle in" first. Texts are very fast and voice quality is good. Customer service reps were friendly, seemed to understand the issue but -- ultimately -- they didn't follow up on what they promised (not that they necessarily knew what was going on).

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    I got a Lycamobile SIM to test a Galaxy Nexus I got off eBay. I had no problems getting SIM. The SIM was free if you bought a pin at the same time, and the actual price for the $29 unlimited everything pin was only $25. The SIM came in three days via FedEx envelope.

The problem is that when you go through your 4G quota, they put you down to ~128kbps. This was not stated on the website so far as I saw, but is on the print literature they send with the SIM. Super slow. I don't think it's an issue with the phone, as it was fast (~1300kbps) when I was in the 4g quota. So beware the "unlimited" data on the lower monthly plans. If that's what you're going for, it might not be worth it. Otherwise, as long as you are in native T-Mobile coverage, things seem to be pretty good.

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Can any T-Mobile phone (even prepaid) work on Lyca? Does it need to be unlocked?

What is the min required to be loaded ($5, $10 or other?) or when you port they give you some starter minutes (and only when you reach to $-0- do you need to load the minimum?

Sorry for the noob question about Lyca, I originally followed the thread in April but stopped as I decided to stay with PTel. I'm asking before I read all 53 pages of the main Lyca thread because I need to act now (as porting takes up to 24 hours and I would like it completed on Monday: I was planning on porting my other line with PagePlus PayGo to SelecTel before next Tuesday when my PP comes up for renewal, only to see that SelecTel is not currently offering PayGo.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zengen View Post
    Can any T-Mobile phone (even prepaid) work on Lyca? Does it need to be unlocked?

What is the min required to be loaded ($5, $10 or other?) or when you port they give you some starter minutes (and only when you reach to $-0- do you need to load the minimum?

Sorry for the noob question about Lyca, I originally followed the thread in April but stopped as I decided to stay with PTel. I'm asking before I read all 53 pages of the main Lyca thread because I need to act now (as porting takes up to 24 hours and I would like it completed on Monday: I was planning on porting my other line with PagePlus PayGo to SelecTel before next Tuesday when my PP comes up for renewal, only to see that SelecTel is not currently offering PayGo.
    Even T-Mo phones need to be unlocked to work on Lycamobile. To get a free SIM with free shipping, $5 must be preloaded initially. After that, the minimum recharge is $10, and the balance NEVER expires, as long as you there is at least one billable charge every 120 days.

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Even T-Mo phones need to be unlocked to work on Lycamobile. To get a free SIM with free shipping, $5 must be preloaded initially. After that, the minimum recharge is $10, and the balance NEVER expires, as long as you there is at least one billable charge every 120 days.
    Thanks, I did get a Lyca SIM back then but never activated it. So my minimum would not need to be greater than $10.

Is unlocking T-Mobile phones easy (other than buying codes off ebay or would T-Mobile unlock for free if you never had T-M service and is there any restrictions on prepaid T-M phones (like how Verzion does it with their prepaids)?

Or is there other phones that would work with Lyca not requiring unlocking?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zengen View Post
    Thanks, I did get a Lyca SIM back then but never activated it. So my minimum would not need to be greater than $10.

Is unlocking T-Mobile phones easy (other than buying codes off ebay or would T-Mobile unlock for free if you never had T-M service and is there any restrictions on prepaid T-M phones (like how Verzion does it with their prepaids)?

Or is there other phones that would work with Lyca not requiring unlocking?
    Lycamobile SIM is like an european SIM card.. it just roams on T-mobile network now... It can roam on at&t, in the unlikely event of lycamobile getting a contract with at&t... (probably never?)

ence, all at&t and t-mobile branded phones locked to the carrier must be unlocked to be used on lycamobile.. If you are buying a factory unlocked phone, that will be fine...

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast