Thread: Questions about Nokia Lumia 520

Feedback Score

Questions about Nokia Lumia 520

Just saw an ad about this phone in an email sent to me by AT&T. My current and only phone is a Samsung a107, which is a basic flip-phone. Thinking of moving up.

Does anyone have this Nokia Lumia 520? I'd like your knowledge about some things.

Does it use the same type of SIM card? I'd like to just take the SIM card from my Samsung and put it in the Nokia.

Can I use the Nokia as a mini pocket computer without a SIM card or activating phone service? That way, I could carry my smaller a107 as a phone since it's more compact, and carry the Nokia when I want portable internet Wi-fi access.

Phone
    Z10, Bold
    Feedback Score
    Lumia 520 uses micro sim. If you want to use the same between that and your a107, you would need to carry a micro-to-mini sim adapter so you can put the micro sim card in it then the mini sim into your flip phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jboard55 View Post
    Lumia 520 uses micro sim. If you want to use the same between that and your a107, you would need to carry a micro-to-mini sim adapter so you can put the micro sim card in it then the mini sim into your flip phone
    The phone I have now uses a Mini, which I assume is bigger than the micro. The mini is the one that would need to fit into the smaller Micro. Is that possible? If not, then is it possible to transfer my current phone number and account balance to the micro SIM of the Nokia?

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4S,Palm Pixi Plus
    Samsung SGH-A437,SCH-i730,SGH-T419
    Carrier
    GoPhonex3 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a107 View Post
    The phone I have now uses a Mini, which I assume is bigger than the micro. The mini is the one that would need to fit into the smaller Micro. Is that possible? If not, then is it possible to transfer my current phone number and account balance to the micro SIM of the Nokia?
    You can just have the current mini sim trimmed to a "micro" size. I did that at an at&t corp store. They have sim cutters. One minute and I was good to go.

Feedback Score
    Is trimming a physically permanent thing to do? Would that mean I wouldn't be able to use that card in my current phone again, which uses a MINI?

Being able to transfer my number and balance to the micro card would be better. Can that be done?

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4S,Palm Pixi Plus
    Samsung SGH-A437,SCH-i730,SGH-T419
    Carrier
    GoPhonex3 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel
    Feedback Score
    Is trimming a physically permanent thing to do? Would that mean I wouldn't be able to use that card in my current phone again, which uses a MINI?

Being able to transfer my number and balance to the micro card would be better. Can that be done?
    Whether you trim your current sim to a micro sim or you transfer your number/balance to an actual new micro sim, you would have to use a micro-to-mini sim adapter to use it in your old phone again anyway.

I'm currently using a trimmed sim with an adapter (that I used previously in a smartphone) in an old nokia dumb phone with no issues. For some phones, depending the way the sim is inserted in them, it may be not a good idea to use an adapter as it may get jammed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    Whether you trim your current sim to a micro sim or you transfer your number/balance to an actual new micro sim, you would have to use a micro-to-mini sim adapter to use it in your old phone again anyway.

I'm currently using a trimmed sim with an adapter (that I used previously in a smartphone) in an old nokia dumb phone with no issues. For some phones, depending the way the sim is inserted in them, it may be not a good idea to use an adapter as it may get jammed.
    How about using the Nokia Lumia 520 without activating the SIM card and just using it as a "pocket computer"? Can I do that, or does the phone part have to be activated in order to use it with Wi-fi?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    How about using the Nokia Lumia 520 without activating the SIM card and just using it as a "pocket computer"? Can I do that, or does the phone part have to be activated in order to use it with Wi-fi?
    you can do that, you will just get a lot of no sim detected warnings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ivaz View Post
    you can do that, you will just get a lot of no sim detected warnings
    Would that happen even if there was a SIM card installed but not activated?

Would I be better off getting a mini tablet computer instead? Then I'd just use my current phone for phone use.