Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight talk and iPhone ios 7 data and mms?

Feedback Score

Straight talk and iPhone ios 7 data and mms?

Hey guys i have a iphone 4s jailbroken at the moment running ios 6.0.1 and i was thinking about upgrading to ios 7 beta 6. Have any of you guys done this? Is there a way to keep mms and data or will i be stuck without it if i upgrade?

Feedback Score
    Hi buddy. I'm not too keen on the subject, but I also have an iPhone 4S on ST. It's not Jailbroken but, I upgraded to iOS 7 beta 5 yesterday. I use the "SIM SWAP" method to get my data and mms settings working. BUT when trying to use this method on beta 5, I could not for the life of me figure it out. It didn't work the same as with 6.1.3. The settings changed back to default so quickly and I was unable to get them to stick. :/

That being said, you can downgrade if you don't like iOS 7 betas (google is your friend) but I'm pretty sure it'll only downgrade to the latest signed IPSW, which would be 6.1.3. And for us poor 4S users, it's unjailbreakable. There's the catch 22; stay on 6.0.1 and keep your JB, or upgrade and if you don't like it and downgrade you'd lose your JB (for the time being... ;-)

I hear a lot of good things about 7 being already Jailbroken but they're waiting for an official release, so I'm actually waiting until Sept 10th to see... (Thats all heresay) Anyway, hope this helped buddy.

- Chris the n00b

Sent with the Howard Forums App!

Feedback Score
    Damn yeah ive been looking for a day or two trying to figure it out, i think i saw a comment by you on a youtube video tho haha.
    Do you happen to have an extra t-mobile sim that you would sell or trade?

Feedback Score
    Pretty disappointing that Apple still makes you jump through hoops and insert various sim cards to be able to access your APN settings. If they haven't done it by ios 7 I guess they never will. Same with choosing your own default apps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm2592 View Post
    Damn yeah ive been looking for a day or two trying to figure it out, i think i saw a comment by you on a youtube video tho haha.
    Do you happen to have an extra t-mobile sim that you would sell or trade?
    Yeah, a lot of the YouTube comments will give you some info too but then again it's about as reliable as my info... And I'm still new at this too. Lol. I don't have one I could sell or trade, but I did buy the "t-mobile" compatible SIM from StraightTalks website and it works the same. It was for a friends phone at the time but he ended up not needing it. It was free shipping at the time and only set me back 15 bucks. It's so small I actually keep it taped to the inside of my OtterBox just in case I have a setback and have to reset and lose my settings. Lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by no-contracts View Post
    Pretty disappointing that Apple still makes you jump through hoops and insert various sim cards to be able to access your APN settings. If they haven't done it by ios 7 I guess they never will. Same with choosing your own default apps.
    I was thinking the same thing. At least with unlocked iPhones it should allow access to the APN settings... But I've heard even unlocked phones don't allow access. As of now, all I've seen are the T-Mobile phones allowing access to change the settings. :/

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    you guys are starting to sound like the person who buys a ford engine and tries to stuff it into a chevy.

you are using an att phone on st.att isnt gonna make it easy.remember the iphone started as a joint venture between apple and att.

what even more interesting is the latest versions of androids are blocking third party from apn.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that *any* T-Mobile SIM will work here, even the ones you buy straight from the T-Mobile Prepaid website

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/phone-sim-card

Scroll to the bottom, only $10 (used to be $1!)

Feedback Score
    I have IOS 7 beta 6 running on i5 and i4 yes the sim swap works and was a bit tricky till I figured it out.Once you swap sim back to ST it goes to Cellular but when you tap on it apn settings come back and I send message without closing the settings out,,on the i5 it's different looking but it seems that they have just changed the looks and how you get to where you want to go,on the i4 it doesnt have a lot of things youget on i5 or i4s but if your J/B I would just wait there are a few features they have added but it really isn't that different other than the look for the most part. Thats just my take on it I was given i5 on ios 6.1.4 so thats the only reason I tried it.But on the other hand you might like it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vtails View Post
    I have IOS 7 beta 6 running on i5 and i4 yes the sim swap works and was a bit tricky till I figured it out.Once you swap sim back to ST it goes to Cellular but when you tap on it apn settings come back and I send message without closing the settings out,,on the i5 it's different looking but it seems that they have just changed the looks and how you get to where you want to go,on the i4 it doesnt have a lot of things youget on i5 or i4s but if your J/B I would just wait there are a few features they have added but it really isn't that different other than the look for the most part. Thats just my take on it I was given i5 on ios 6.1.4 so thats the only reason I tried it.But on the other hand you might like it.
    It worked on iOS 7 beta 6?!? The swap method? Maybe I will try and restore again and try it one more time. The features 7 provides seen worth the hassle. I just can't do it without data and mms. Thanks, ill try again. Like I said, I'm still new at this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    you guys are starting to sound like the person who buys a ford engine and tries to stuff it into a chevy.

you are using an att phone on st.att isnt gonna make it easy.remember the iphone started as a joint venture between apple and att.

what even more interesting is the latest versions of androids are blocking third party from apn.
    I really don't think it's ATT that's doing this. Yeah, their models don't allow it, but even on unlocked phones it doesn't allow APN editing. So it's an Apple thing. But who knows, I could very well be wrong. Lol.

Feedback Score

Oh and no, your analogy doesn't fit. We're not swapping processors or hardware. We're swapping carriers. A Chevy engine doesn't fit in a Ford (without mods) because it just doesn't. ST works perfectly for att phones, it's just that they are hiding the ability to do what you want with your phone... Like APN editing. Classic Apple and their closed software.

Android blocking 3rd Party APN apps? Ridiculous. Lets hope google doesn't go the way of Apple and start closing its OS. It being an open platform was its main selling point to A LOT of consumers... Myself included when I bought my first smartphone the Evo 4G and my tablets. -.-

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    ok put it this way.you trying to run ford software in your chevy.

Feedback Score
    ok put it this way.you trying to run ford software in your chevy.
    Still, no. Lol. It's more like we're using a different fuel. Like running high octane when the manufacturer calls for 87 octane. It still works perfectly fine provided the engine can self adjust for timing. Which it can't, because Apple has disabled it. Point is, it shouldn't be disabled if YOU own the phone you should have access to ALL of the features of that phone. To include changing which towers it utilizes (I'm guessing this is exactly what your APN is...)

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    right oposite you trying to run 87 octane when you need 102+ octane fuel.

this is the reason many buisnesses will give employes an apple or bb.they stay away from android smartphones.data secutity is a big deal.also apple learned a valuabe lesson from microsoft early in the pc days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast