Thread: What app do you use to control data usage?

Feedback Score

What app do you use to control data usage?

I am trying out Platinumtel and is on their Real PAYO plan. Wonder what is a good app to control data usage for my Android phone (LG L9).

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoy1001 View Post
    I am trying out Platinumtel and is on their Real PAYO plan. Wonder what is a good app to control data usage for my Android phone (LG L9).
    On method is to root it and install Android Firewall.
    My PagePlus Phone History---12 Years & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Feedback Score
    Thanks. My phone is rooted. At the play store, there is Android Firewall and Droidwall. is Android firewall better than Droidwall?

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newtoy1001 View Post
    Thanks. My phone is rooted. At the play store, there is Android Firewall and Droidwall. is Android firewall better than Droidwall?
    Android Firewall is the continuation of DroidWall. As I understand it, DroidWall is not always compatible with Android versions after Gingerbread, and the developer discontinued development, but a new developer took over and released Android Firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jtschohl.androidfirewall&hl=en
    This is a fork of the popular application Droidwall that uses iptables to limit data usage and add security to Android. Droidwall was originally created by developer Rodrigo Zechin Rosauro. The app was discontinued and did not function correctly on Android 4.x. So I decided to fix it.

Feedback Score
    I use Droidwall to restrict data access for each app. I also add a 3Gwatchdog widget on my home screen to show the usage. It's has been working very well for me. Since my goal is to use push services for emails, calendar and to use Google voice and Whatsapp in real time hence I enable those app in Droidwall. In addition of enabling those apps, I find the need of enabling "Google Service Framework service" as well in order for GV to work 100%.

Carrier
    Tmobile Pay As You Go
    Feedback Score
    Another way is to use the feature built in the Android OS.

You can limit data. There is a marker for a warning and another for total block of data.
    You can block data usage per app. Just select the app from the list then select menu again and you get an option to restrict data for that app.

It's in system settings/data usage\set mobile data limit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop-Chop View Post
    Another way is to use the feature built in the Android OS.

You can limit data. There is a marker for a warning and another for total block of data.
    You can block data usage per app. Just select the app from the list then select menu again and you get an option to restrict data for that app.

It's in system settings/data usage\set mobile data limit.
    I don't think the built in feature allows app to use WiFi but not mobile data. Android Firewall let me configure data usage to none, WiFI nly, mobile only, or both for each app.

Feedback Score
    I installed Android Firewall & 3Gwatchdog yesterday and they work out well so far. One thing I do notice is there still some data usage even though the phone was connected to my WiFi network overnight. As of this morning, 2.3KB were sent/received. Not the end of the world in term of cost, just curious why that is the case.