Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID Ultra, MAXX, and Mini Release Thread

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score

Motorola DROID Ultra, MAXX, and Mini Release Thread

Please use this thread to discuss the Motorola DROID Ultra, DROID MAXX, and DROID Mini smartphones.

Here is my review of the DROID Ultra:
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Mo...-Review_id3392
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Excellent review. Thorough, even-handed, moderate treatment of devices that, while balanced and capable, have perhaps more than their share of flaws and deficiencies.

I am following these four new X8 MPS Motos closely. I don't want any one of them. But I remain hopeful that the pending 'hero' (possibly Nexus) device expected in Q4 will be a 2+ghz, over 5" 1080p IPS, mSD competitive handset. So, I see these first true GooMotos as harbingers of what's to come.

My personal concern focuses, not on the UX which seems to be the focus of Motoogle's advertising hype, but more on the data mining aspects of the design which appear to me to be ever more intrusive and ineluctable.

Page has been up front about the "monetization" of Android. And, of course, targeted advertising with its attendant data mining is Google's stock-in-trade. It is odd, nonetheless, IMO, that in the thick of the Snowden PRISM hoopla Google would so brazenly accelerate the process.

A line may have been crossed.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-22-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Dam, HF used to be my go to choice for all things cell phone. Still a great forum, but it seems everyone is bashing the new Droids and the Moto X and they dont even own them. I understand that its not the spec monster that the GS4 or HTC One are, but it seems like a pretty nice phone.

Nice job on the Ultra review FAUguy. Im up for a new phone after having my trusty Droid X for the last 3 years. For me it was either the Maxx of the GS4. I did a preorder at Best Buy Mobile today and still wondering if i should cancel and go with the GS4. Oh well i have till it comes in stock and then another 15 days after i take it to change my mind. Hopefully by then there will be plenty more known about the phone.

Feedback Score
    I don't think it's the spec so much as the iPhone rather than Samsung targeting general configuration. Smaller hand rather lesser eyesight targeted size and locked up battery and no mSD. I think WAY more would be excited if it was 5" and mSD, but everything else exactly the same...tiny bezel and all. If they could have also fit removable battery and not hurt battery life or size much...even more would have been stoked.

I think the lacking spec is more a bother for the price point and would have been overcome among Android devotees easier if the rest wasn't pushed closer to iPhone from hardware size and Hardware serviceability/expansion standpoint. It's a trend from everyone except Samsung becoming almost universal and creating a feeling of Android losing the diversity of hardware it once had.

Hah didn't notice what thread this this was when I posted this(thought I was in X thread). Still don't get the Droid Ultra at all. Maxx and mini maybe. But even those might lose some Moto Droid loyalists due to mSD delete. We'll see.
    Last edited by jasaero; 08-23-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LOTL View Post
    Dam, HF used to be my go to choice for all things cell phone. Still a great forum, but it seems everyone is bashing the new Droids and the Moto X and they dont even own them. I understand that its not the spec monster that the GS4 or HTC One are, but it seems like a pretty nice phone.

Nice job on the Ultra review FAUguy. Im up for a new phone after having my trusty Droid X for the last 3 years. For me it was either the Maxx of the GS4. I did a preorder at Best Buy Mobile today and still wondering if i should cancel and go with the GS4. Oh well i have till it comes in stock and then another 15 days after i take it to change my mind. Hopefully by then there will be plenty more known about the phone.
    Right now I'm working on a Comparison Review between the Droid Ultra and GS4. So far some interesting results. I won't spoil it until it's posted next week, but between them, I like the GS4 more.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    ….
    You're absolutely right. No question, the Moto X *is* "a pretty nice phone."

But is it – for me – the best phone available, when set beside the current handsets I have to choose from? Or is it the best value for my cellphone dollars right now? Does it offer more utility, power, or value than my alternative possibilities? If there weren't other, maybe better, choices now out there then these four new X8 MoGoo models would serve very adequately – "pretty nice phones" all.

That's not the real world situation here. Any "pretty nice phone" lives in a marketplace inhabited by other "pretty nice phones." People then choose the one they think best suits their needs and tastes. Unlike reviewers, most folks have to choose their best handset *before* they "own them."

For now, Samsung seems to best understand how to "give the customer what he wants." And HTC may be closing the gap – especially if its new tier one 'Max' phablet has mSD, as rumored. I'll be very interested, too, to see how easy it is to load CWM on this new crop of X8/Sd 800 devices. IMO, Google is too intent on trying to *tell* me what I should and shouldn't want. I don't like that.

♪Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-23-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I agree completely with jasaero and TC_Mits.

I have been a Motorola devotee for a long time. I have owned many Motorola phones and many people I know have bought them based on my recommendation. I don't want to give the impression that I am "bashing" the new Moto phones, I just don't think they are what I am looking for. I have never owned an iphone and I am not interested in an iphone. Two things that kept me from buying or at least seriously considering one was the lack of a removable battery and the lack of expandable storage (microSD). If I ever decide I want an iphone type phone I will buy an iphone and not a Moto-iphone.

Now that there is more info about the Moto phones, I think that the new x8 processing platform sounds good. They are aiming for distributed processing power where it counts, powerful GPU and serious battery efficiency where possible - all good things. I personally understand the tradeoff involved in choosing 720p - they can attain better battery life and performance and as long as the screen has high PQ not many will have a problem with it in actual usage.( without getting out a magnifying glass)

All that said, I don't think that I am Motorola's target audience any more and I am just not overly excited about them( and yes the Lack of removable battery and microSD are certainly a part of that)

I personally need to pay full price to keep my unlimited data so for me "good enough" is not good enough.

My Bionic seems to be struggling lately. (I am convinced it is a conspiracy and Verizon pushes something to my phones to screw them up shortly after my upgrade becomes available, lol)

I recently bought a refurbished Galaxy Player 4.0 and a Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet and I am extremely impressed and happy with these devices. I actually think I am going to buy a used Galaxy Note 2 phone and use that until something else comes out later this year that is worth paying $700 for. Maybe a Galaxy Note 3, or a Galaxy S5 or maybe something from Motorola if they decide my business is worth keeping and come out with something else.

If I had to pick a Motorola Verizon phone right now it would probably be the Droid Maxx.

Best of luck to you with your new phone! I don't think the new Moto phones are bad - just not for me!

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    http://www.fiercecable.com/story/ver...ugh/2012-11-30

From post #2:

My personal concern focuses, not on the UX which seems to be the focus of Motoogle's advertising hype, but more on the data mining aspects of the design which appear to me to be ever more intrusive and ineluctable.

Page has been up front about the "monetization" of Android. And, of course, targeted advertising with its attendant data mining is Google's stock-in-trade. It is odd, nonetheless, IMO, that in the thick of the Snowden PRISM hoopla Google would so brazenly accelerate the process.

A line may have been crossed.
    So, following up —
    It appears vz may be taking the lead from Google:

Verizon is looking at taking targeted advertising to a new level with its patent application, which is titled "Methods and Systems for Presenting an Advertisement Associated with an Ambient Action of a User."

Similar to the way Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) targets ads to Gmail users based on the content of their emails, Verizon proposes scanning conversations of viewers that are within a "detection zone" near their TV, including telephone conversations.

"If detection facility detects one or more words spoken by a user (e.g., while talking to another user within the same room or on the telephone), advertising facility may utilize the one or more words spoken by the user to search for and/or select an advertisement associated with the one or more words," Verizon states in the patent application.
    Since these three new Droids are a vz and goog (via Moto) joint venture, this seems like a good place to raise concerns about what these devices – and developments – imply for those who care about their privacy.

*Of course* — if you "have NOTHING to hide" and are completely unconcerned that vz wants to put a Winston Smith "detection facility" telescreen in your bedroom then this won't apply to you. There's no real reason, in that case, for you to join the conversation here.

Verizon states in the patent application:
    If the couple utters words that indicate they are cuddling, they would receive ads for "a romantic getaway vacation, a commercial for a contraceptive, a commercial for flowers," or commercials for romantic movies, Verizon states in the patent application.
    As for me… outrage, terror, disgust, incredulity … mere words seem puny to the task. But, if that sort of exposure doesn't bother you (There are clubs for that, right?) then, hey, just swing along.

But, really, I could be jumping the gun here. I mean, who's to say that just because vz has a patent pending for a TV to eavesdrop on your intimate moments — that "is in NO way meant to imply" — it doesn't mean that it would even think about doing the same sort of thing with the 'always on' microphone in your 'voice command' activated Droid cellphone. It's only a patent for a TV that doesn't even exist yet. Vzw would never actually DO such a thing. No worries… Mate.

Right?

~~~~

Had a thought… How about a revival of the old 1940s "Road to …" movies? Like "On the Road to Dystopia" with Ron White as Bob Hope, Tina Fay as Dorothy Lamour and Chris Tucker as Bing Crosby?

Tag line: 'Are we there yet?'

Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Feedback Score
    The most disturbing aspect to me is it all probably goes straight to some fed servers also. It's just been recently proven Google themselves are in a secret court battle to be allowed to explain the full extent of what they are forced to copy over to the feds.

blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/08/26/open-secret-about-googles-surveillance-case-no-longer-secret/

What I find funny about this is that Google sells what what they know about you to the highest bidders anyhow. So it seems odd they would be fighting this so hard. They must think they are really under paid for the amount of data they are being forced to hand over.

Pretty crazy stuff if the X8 Droids now also listen all the time. The terrorists have to know this kinda crap is being done and do what what they have to to stay under the radar.... So what are really hoping to uncover with this broad search/surveillance?

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    It's all a madcap keystone kops affair.

The push for more surveillance data isn't from the government; it's not about power or control or the potential for repression – *at the root* of it, anyway. That push for more data comes solely from the arrant greed of the vzws and googs of the private sector. Our personal lives have economic value; the smallest details are for sale, so amoral corporate cupidity kicks into gear and it's more, MORE, MORE!

The government comes in only after the fact; it's really more a bureaucratic mindset than anything else. Like climber George Mallory said, "Because it's there." Gotta get it ALL recorded and catalogued – jic – someone may need it someday.

Now, the tragic horror of it all is that 'knowledge is power', really a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. And, what the bureaucrat sees as merely doing his job, the demagogue knows will agrandize him and give him absolute power.

But,, as we all know: "Power corrupts." A-n-d… "Absolute power corrupts … absolutely." So, you wind up with tyranny. No grand conspiracy theory required. Just different sorts of people, each going with the 'flow' and doing what comes natural to them.

Since power must necessarily always derive from the people, it is our collective abdication of the responsibility to be ever vigilant and guard jealously our freedoms that ultimately makes it all possible. If you want to blame someone – IMO – it's the guy who says, ‘Why would I care? I've got nothing to hide."

Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-26-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Feedback Score
    I have to disagree this is corporate greed. This is all about an all powerful government that has no intention of allowing us to attempt truly private communications with each other. I wouldn't be surprised if the all US based entity of GooMoto was given secret research dollars to devise the special low power state monitoring capabilities. The number of firms shuttering such services as those in the article below are on the rise because the Fed has secretly effectively made any truly private communication services illegal and is probably actively encouraging any tech that allows them to eaves drop more communications. I doubt Google has enough sway with the feds to force such shutdowns.

www.theverge.com/2013/8/18/4633404/shuttered-secure-messaging-service-silent-circle-email

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    I have to disagree this is corporate greed. This is all about an all powerful government that has no intention of allowing us to attempt truly private communications with each other. I wouldn't be surprised if the all US based entity of GooMoto was given secret research dollars to devise the special low power state monitoring capabilities. …
    Little would surprise me. But my explanation is geared more to origins than actual process or effect – and it doesn't need any conspiracies.

I think both of our posts could be substantially correct. There's no essential conflict here.

The drive to collect ever *more* detailed personal information is profit-driven — it can be sold — simple. The desire to collect *all* the existing data, save, analyze, and catalog it by individual is more about government interests — that's the part that could be called sinister.

Whoever is spying (don't omit the developers, legit or malware) and whatever the intent, the X8 and S-d 800 SoCs are convenient, powerful, and potentially very effective tools. Whether any government had a role in their design and development or not, the impetus is – at it's roots – commercial in nature.

The vz 'telescreen' patent is unlikely to have arisen out of a secret government project any more than these 'voice command' SoCs. But, in any case, our government can certainly be expected to requisition *all* the data vzw retrieves from US citizens with any such device. I find the idea of having vzw snooping about my bedroom at night most unpalatable. But having the NSA, et al., there, too, looking over its shoulder is positively intolerable.

Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-27-2013 at 04:09 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    The desire to collect *all* the existing data, save, analyze, and catalog it by individual is more about government interests — that's the part that could be called sinister.
    This is the aspect that actually bothers me actively. I can change my e-mail or not use some phone like the X8 that I know won't snoop on me if we have a free market and some maybe somewhat questionable companies using such capability in a not so clean fashion I haven't authorized completely knowingly and such....but if that is the case I should have plenty of other options. The part the bugs me is that there are signs that the most secure and privacy oriented alternatives are being hit with heavy hand by the government. I really have nothing against what Goog and Verizon want to do with peoples data so long as competitors that offer the opposite as far as privacy goes are allowed to exist. What they are upto only becomes a real issue if those trying to offer alternatives are shut down.

And really if there is a good and traditional warrant for very specific and limited accounts....even these privacy oriented sorts should have to comply in some way, but they should be allowed to notify those about to be searched and be given statements they can go public with as to just how limited and just the data hand over was rather than these broad mining practices that they are trying to hide completely.

These moto's capability just broadens the sorts of secret general warrants that can be issued. I am all for this tech and even the possibly corrupted private use of it so long as I know the government can't issue general warrants based around the use of it. I can choose to use the tech or not, but I shouldn't have to fear secret searches of my activity that go beyond the scope of what me and the private entity providing me service have agreed to.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Agree that government interests in my private affairs disturb me far more. But I disagree that commercial interests are always innocuous or should have a free pass.

In particular, any such prying by commercial interests must, with force of law, be transparent, fully and openly declared in a clear unambiguous plain-English manner, specifically NOT the murky or opaque legalese of a ToS or a tedious and incomprehensible 'Privacy Statement'. It should be as simple and straightforward as Miranda.

The user/consumer, then, should be able to easily opt-out — without penalty or restrictions – of any data-mining that modern search/information techniques would be likely to be able to re-associate to him as an individual. These data miners, of all stripes, continually assure US that 'no personal identifying information is being collected', so I say, fine, let's hold'em to it.
    ~~~~~

Re: mSD cards, found this interesting tidbit that should broaden our perspective beyond MS patents and simpleton users:
    http://m.androidcentral.com/jelly-be...ternal-storage

Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-29-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Feedback Score
    If you pay for some service I agree with what you are saying. If it's sorta a deal like google I wgree on transparency of what and how your data is being used, but not on opt out with access. Googles services and marketing/ad scheme aren't for everyone, but it would be silly to force google to accept customers who they have no way to make revenue off of through some opt out scheme. You opt out by not using google.

As long as the transparency stuff isn't too much of a burden or something that forces trade secrets into the public it's probably mostly ok. Such regs could quickly become both though and just end up costing me more or forcing me into bigger windows on my house and need to remove blinds, and eventually leaving me with less and less option existing as going concerns to do business with. So at the end of the day I would probably rather rely on a free market with plenty of options to choose from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast