Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Motorola DROID Ultra, MAXX, and Mini Release Thread

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Aye, there's the rub. For there are not plenty of options to choose from. Not using Google is tantamount to not using the internet. So that argument fails at jump street. Otherwise, I'm with you.

In any case, if goog wants to record my life story (with or without my name attached) I say that data belongs to me and collecting it requires my explicit — and specific – permission. To get my permission, you'll need to specify what data you want and how you propose to get it.

Now, careful here, if your argument is that Google's business is not internet search and the Android ecosystem, then you've opened Pandora's box. Gonna get real messy real quick. Of course, you'd be right, but is that really the point?

Then again, we've probably strayed too far from the 'X8 marks the spot' point already.

♪Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Aye, there's the rub. For there are not plenty of options to choose from. Not using Google is tantamount to not using the internet. So that argument fails at jump street. Otherwise NP.

In any case, if goog wants to record my life story (with or without my name attached) I say that data belongs to me and collecting it requires my explicit — and specific – permission. To get my permission, you'll need to specify what data you want and how you propose to get it.

Now, careful here, if you're argument is that Google's business is not internet search and the Android ecosystem, then you've opened Pandora's box. Gonna get real messy real quick. Of course, you'd be right, but is that really the point?

You don't have to use google and it is even possible to use stuff like search without identifying yourself to them at all. Particularly if you want to pay for a VPN. There are tons of VPN providers who have yet to be targeted by the government that will promise to keep your business with them on the down low. There is plenty of other email and search and new mobile OS and ecosystems are always popping up.

It's way easier to participate in stuff with limited disclosure of what or who you are on the internet than in any other traditional medium. I actually bet the reason google services require some level of disclosure of what or who you are has more to do with legal and governmental matters than because google has any concerns related to whether you are a totally ambiguous entity on the internets. Unless of course you want to pay for some service they don't offer for free. Even then, I figure google to be the sorta entity that would support ambiguous monetary transaction only the most hands off the economy governments would ever support.

Now these ambiguous entities would basically be your internet self regardless I suppose, but could have little relation to the real you for privacy reasons. Really though I think the larger issue is the bells and few others that control all our access to the internet somewhere up the chain. No matter what privacy approach you might take...they will expose you....Particularly to the government since they are now so heavily regulated they are essentially entities of the government.

I have a small fixed wireless provider that isn't, but their backend off my tower is ATT. ATT should have been forced to allow competition to build COs across the street from theirs and then forced to allow patch ins for wires to customers that wanted to leave instead of being broke up regionally. Let them fight over line maintenance upgrade concerns among themselves over the years and make junctions and such accessible to any of the telcos.

Oh well. Privacy was never really promised in public though and you are sorta in public once you have a public IP. Don't light up the IP if you want privacy. I would support more truly dynamic IPs for home use that change and refresh too often for it to identify you. Google would support it, but governments wouldn't. You could even have ID for some trust requiring stuff still without just being online or having an email or something like that identifying you. Discrete communication is really the only protection society has from tyranny. The more easy it is the harder it is for tyranny to ever work well.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Well, OK, Bing (which I use at times) and WP are viable alternatives. But the competition is so paltry as to be risible. And I stand by the conviction that my data belongs to me and no third-party entity should be able found a business to siphon it off willy-nilly *without my permission* and sell it to the highest bidder.

How many of the people reading this thread have actually read *and understood* the entire revised Google privacy statement? Could many of US– without further research – copy out and post language in that PS allowing 24/7 audio transcripts of every intelligible sound within range of your X8 vzw handset's microphone ? If not, then legalese Pekingese, there is no 'informed consent' operating here.

The absence of an explicit right to privacy is the greatest failing of the US Constitution. The lack of a law, however, doesn't mean it's not an "evil" thing googs has done in making the 'Motorola X8' SoC.

Eto akta gamat.

Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-29-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    Great S4 vs Ultra comparison. Happy to see at least one site driving home the mSD and removable battery points rather than assuming all readers understand this critical spec difference.

Also you put in the IR and universal remote capability point. On that one we just now need an app dev such as unified remote to do both iR and IP control of our various home devices in one well thought out and customizable UI.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I now got in the Droid Maxx for review. So far, I'm liking it the best of the 3 new models, due to the soft-touch backing and 32GB memory. But wish it had microSD. Still, this Clear Pixel camera isn't that great, just goes to show Motorola needs work in that area.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Fauguy,
    I have the Maxx on preorder and havent been stressing too much about it coming in. I keep reading the reviews and monitoring a few different websites. Its not without its issues for sure. Will the camera issues, low earpiece volume issue for some, active notifications only showing the last notification, google now still requires you to touch the microphone and then press send when texting someone.

I rarely text while driving and was hoping for a truly hands free device which would make it easy to reply to someone quickly and without touching the phone. Supposedly the S4 can do this.

A lot of these gripes seem like they could easily be addressed with a software upgrade. Wether they will or not is anyones guess.

I can handle touch-wiz and busy screens on the S4, but im looking for an easier interface for my fiancee.
    Whats your thoughts? I did read your review on the Ultra vs S4, but still am not convinced the S4 is the right phone for all.

We both want a 5" phone, so options are fairly limited and i think i have narrowed it down to the Maxx or S4. Not convinced HTC's quality has improved, although the One gets great reviews. Not ready to go LG again and Sonys offerings are not on my short list.

Maybe Best Buy wont get the Maxx in for another month and by then things may have changed, or maybe they wont have and my decision will be made for me. I believe root is still achievable on the S4 for Verizon, but i think ROM's are not possible at the moment. Decisions decisions...

Edit: Just found this in the Moto forums, so maybe there is hope for the camera??
    https://forums.motorola.com/posts/71d0e8a28e

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    I now got in the Droid Maxx for review. So far, I'm liking it the best of the 3 new models, due to the soft-touch backing and 32GB memory. But wish it had microSD. Still, this Clear Pixel camera isn't that great, just goes to show Motorola needs work in that area.
    Going to be doing any battery life tests on the Maxx that could then be compared to this guy? That would make an interesting test since the battery sizes aren't way off and this uses the 800 that has more compute power combined with power state things qualcomm has done that probably mirror stuff Moto did to get the most out of S4 Pro. The 800 is doing better than I figured it would. Kinda seems this web browser test doesn't really turn up the heat in terms of how high a power states the 800 can go into though so would be curious what sorta life you get in more extreme use cases with lots of multitasking and heavier use where a chip like this might really get going.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7251/l...a-quick-look/8

Feedback Score
    Can someone here give us an update on real -life battery life usage times for the Droid Maxx? I'm thinking of getting the phone or getting the iPhone 5S so could use some insight. And yes I know the technical specs, differences, etc. I'm too much of a logical person to choose at the moment.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by willzzz View Post
    Can someone here give us an update on real -life battery life usage times for the Droid Maxx? I'm thinking of getting the phone or getting the iPhone 5S so could use some insight. And yes I know the technical specs, differences, etc. I'm too much of a logical person to choose at the moment.
    Here's my review of the MAXX:
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Mo...-Review_id3412
    On a fully charged battery, it was able to do 20 hours of straight talk-time.
    For mixed (regular) usage, I could get about 4 days without a charge.
    The 3500mAh battery is quite impressive.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    For those of you looking to Root your Droid Maxx, Ultra, or Mini:
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-t...d-Mini_id47448

Device(s)
    Maxx VE, E815, Razr V9m, Moto Driod, Moto Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Everyone can have something to contribute, but this thread "Takes the Cake". In 9 years I never used the Ignore List, until now. You use to be able to pop on the HoFo and see if there was any pertinent info on a phone that was about to be released or had just been released. If any Hacks had been discovered. You could actually have a dialogue over a period of time with a member for help, with out sifting through post upon post the same opinions in every thread.
    Now. Please continue exercising your right of "Freedom of Expression" in every thread on HOFO as I have exercised my right of Freedom to Ignore. BillK

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Question FM Radio ?

Does anyone know if these have an FM radio in them?

I know from the older Droid 4, MOT/VZW didn't include any such FM radio app, but others found that there was indeed an FM radio built-in, and with the right app, was usable. So, I wonder if the same is true for these new MOT's.

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Walt, I thought you disappeared forever, thinking you had moved to another forum. Good to see you again.
    Last edited by wnrussell; 11-02-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2