Thread: Droid 5???

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Droid 5???

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/23...st-appearance/
    The device appears to sport a decently aasized edge-to-edge display with very little bezel. On the front, we have a front camera along with Motorola and Verizon logos. The slideout keyboard situated underneath it has a full five rows, plus a voice-to-text button.

On the backside (in the picture below), we’re looking at a massive coil which could mean that this phone will have wireless charging. A 4G LTE logo can be seen as well, along with a camera lens, flash and speaker grill.

We don’t know any of the other specs, but how could this not utilize some form of Moto’s X8 Mobile Computing System?

What we’d like to know now, is when it’ll arrive. Is this a holiday device? Motorola just released the Moto X, DROID ULTRA, MAXX, and Mini, so there really isn’t room for this phone at this time.

Who wants it? #QWERTYCULT
    EDIT: I did not see the general Motorola thread, mods feel free to lock this thtead.

Device(s)
    bb tour
    Carrier(s)
    alltel/ATN
    Feedback Score
    Been waiting for this for a while but if there isn't a gsm version like there wasn't for the droid 4 or photon q then I wont touch it since I don't want to upgrade from my d3 bad enough to switch back to postpay rates. Kind of hope with google running the show at moto now though that they wont be as tempted to sell only locked down versions of phones for companies like vzw like moto did in the past. A 6 month exclusive deal and then a release of an unlocked version I can live with but if they follow the same path they did with the d4 and photon q then they will cost themselves a lot of money. That could have been a timing issue with the google takeover happening around that time but if that was the intended strategy then it was full of fail since vzw and sprint might have a lot of subscribers but they turned their backs on the world market when they didn't release unlocked gsm versions of the only high end qwertys they offered at the time.

sent from my xt862 on AT&T
    what is this new feature, and how can I manipulate it in order to make myself seem superior to those around me?

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have to wonder just how old these pictures might be. It just doesn't seem to have the same "style" as the new Droid Ultra/MAXX/Mini.

Is this a prototype from a year ago? VZW didn't "buy", and it died? So dead that someone thought it was safe to toss these pics into the garbage without shredding them first?

The keyboard is slightly different than my D4 in that there is a ".com" key just to the left of the space bar.

In terms of VZW itself selling a developer version of some future D5, I think the Droid Ultra/MAXX/Mini answer that question.

Feedback Score
    Another leak

http://www.newcellphonesblog.com/mot...ked-again.html

Looks to be a decent mid ranger. Damn I miss qwerty devices so bad, nothing could beat them productivity wise.

Device(s)
    bb tour
    Carrier(s)
    alltel/ATN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jo_Ny View Post
    Another leak

http://www.newcellphonesblog.com/mot...ked-again.html

Looks to be a decent mid ranger. Damn I miss qwerty devices so bad, nothing could beat them productivity wise.
    I'd take anything at this point but I really don't understand the lack of a high end qwerty from at least one manufacturer. They could sell a ton of these simply by reusing the d4 design and putting a better screen, processor and more up to date version of android as well as seling an unlocked gsm version. They don't have to come up with some revolutionary new phone just take a razor maxx and strap a keyboard to it and most everyone wanting a qwerty would be happy. They could even build it into their next line of phones to have a plug buit into the phone for a case with a slider qwerty that they could sell for those who want it. Then the qwerty wouldn't even need its own power supply and they'd only have to worry about updates for half the number of phones while still providing qwerty options for every level of phone they sell.

sent from my xt862 on AT&T

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    VZW is featuring the Droid 4 for free, on their main, first, page of their website.

Good indication of a clearance sale, just prior to a replacement coming out.

Name:  marq-droid4-100713.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  61.3 KB

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, they're still selling the Droid 4, almost 2 years after it came out, and no reliable news on a Droid 5 in a while.

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thanks, Walt!

Good to hear from you.

Name:  ThumbUp.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  3.8 KB

Feedback Score
    Guess it could be coming for real! I'm on TMo now so hopefully a global or US unlocked of the same device is also in the works. Well unless the Droid 4 is too big stuff is true. Would probably not go under 5" just to have qwerty. 5" could fit in D4 sized device, but not a much smaller one. Would prefer 5.5-6" device more able to replace a laptop 95% of the time.

http://motoringcrunch.com/news/veriz...-for/10018986/

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the story reference.

Though what sticks out to me is "next year", and that's just for its first concept unveiling, not in-stores.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Thanks for the story reference.

Though what sticks out to me is "next year", and that's just for its first concept unveiling, not in-stores.
    CIA meant this September as the earliest possible showing and MWC as February next year as the latest I figure. This is assuming the dates are anything other than speculation. The whole article could be speculation for all we know. No clue how many Droid hold outs on D1-4s there are, but if there are still quite a few and they refuse to leave them I guess a D5 would make sense.

Feedback Score
    Since it's been a few months and it's now a new year and all, thought I would check if there have been any updates with the fabled Droid 5? I have been waiting for a new slider QWERTY smartphone in the Droid line for about 2 years now, but I'm starting to lose hope. I don't want to go to Blackberry, but since they seem to be the only ones making good QWERTY phones now, I'll probably just switch to a Blackberry if Motorola doesn't release any news for a good one this year. I still don't get why Blackberry doesn't make any QWERTY phones with a slide-out keyboard, and are instead always making ones that are on the front of the phone and take up screen space.
    Last edited by FreedomTech; 02-14-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    When you need to travel around the city but don't have a car, try out Uber with a $15 credit on your first ride! And if you're going to join Cricket, make sure to get your $25 service credit.