Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best phone to use on Assurance Wireless??

Feedback Score

Lightbulb Best phone to use on Assurance Wireless??

Hey I am new here, kinda.. I used to be a member back in the day when this was mainly a Nextel forum. But I just rejoined. I don't know if there is a section for the Lifeline/free services .. I searched but could not find anything. Anyways I got sick of Tracfone/Safelink's horrible customer service and lack of ability to upgrade your free plan and finally cancelled tonight.

So i will eventually be switching to the Virgin Mobile based Assurance Wireless. I did alittle research and most people are saying the best phone you can use on there is the LG Rumor Touch?? Is this true? No smart phones.. basically whatever you can use on PayLo will work I believe?? Any other decent phones or better then the Rumor Touch?

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Rumor Touch or the Kyocera Brio.

Feedback Score
    Assurance Wireless is subsidized. You get a stock phone with the service. But any flip PayLo phone from Virgin will work. None of the smartphones will work.

And if you can afford to be selective, why do you have Assurance Wireless?

Feedback Score
    I just found this today: https://lifeline.myfamilymobile.com/
    $29.88 T-Mobile Unlimited everything. You can use any T-Mobile smartphone but it uses 3G for internet access. You can apply online and upload the documents after you apply. If you qualify, it's the best deal I have seen for low income subsidized plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bads3ctor View Post
    $29.88 T-Mobile Unlimited everything. You can use any T-Mobile smartphone but it uses 3G for internet access. You can apply online and upload the documents after you apply. If you qualify, it's the best deal I have seen for low income subsidized plans.
    Thanks! i actually went and looked at that after you posted it and it seems like the best deal.. had a problem with their website accepting uploaded documents and still not working so I mailed it in.. only thing I don't like is the lack of information, limited customer service, and poor webpage.. had a problem and could not even contact anyone... unfortunately I applied to assurance... and they told me my app was denied because I guess my cancellation of safelink did not process yet.. so I applied to the walmart one.. but surprise surprise the assurance came in the mail last week.. and walmart has not processed mine.. i like the setup of the assurance/virgin mobile so far.. but the phones are horrible... even safelink u can use the lg 840g which is much better then any assurance phone.

Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bads3ctor View Post
    That really is a great deal ....
    Includes up to 2.5 GB of 3G data.
    After 2.5 GB, speeds slowed to less than 2G speeds for rest of billing cycle.
    Limited time offers; subject to change. Plus taxes and fees. No domestic data roaming.
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $35 / $1 | AT&T PREPAID: .25/Min

Feedback Score
    It looks like web/data is not available unless you do the $30/month unlimited plan.

Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a5253628 View Post
    It looks like web/data is not available unless you do the $30/month unlimited plan.
    And they include UnLimited DATA with the $30 AW option.

UNLIMITED Talk, Text, and Web
    Add $30 each month
    http://www.assurancewireless.com/Pub...ePrograms.aspx
    Name:  samsungmontage-overview-large.png
Views: 82357
Size:  105.4 KB
    Samsung Montage ... $31.99
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/...hone/features/

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBello View Post
    thing I don't like is the lack of information, limited customer service, and poor webpage.. had a problem and could not even contact anyone... unfortunately I applied to assurance... and they told me my app was denied because I guess my cancellation of safelink did not process yet.. so I applied to the walmart one.. but surprise surprise the assurance came in the mail last week.. and walmart has not processed mine.. i like the setup of the assurance/virgin mobile so far.. but the phones are horrible... even safelink u can use the lg 840g which is much better then any assurance phone.
    What do you want a Galaxy S3?

Why are you complaining about a free phone or service?

Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    What do you want a Galaxy S3?

Why are you complaining about a free phone or service?
    Maybe they already have a VM smartphone that they want to use with the "free" service that they now qualify for.
    With some new demo's now asking for access onto the lifeline service, there might be an opportunity for companies like Assurance Wireless to expand their device options. No reason for Sprint Prepaid or VM to not offer the option to upgrade their AW device selections to include some smartphones now. Maybe it's time to allow the NEW Sprint Prepaid devices onto the AW Service since subscribers can now already purchase a Sprint Prepaid smartphone and opt for a No Data service option with the New Sprint Prepaid service.
    http://govcellphones.org/students-no...-for-lifeline/

Feedback Score
    I also have 2 questions about the KYOCERA shipped to me with my free Assurance Wireless cell phone (Model TLAKE or Kona or JAX or whatever it is, your guess is as good as mine lol)

1. Does the phone have to be designated "payLo" or can any cell phone work?
    _____And if so_____
    2. Can any "payLo" model be substituted, or must it be Kyocera?
    3. Can any carrier's "payLo" model be substituted, or must it be (in my case) an Assurance-branded replacement?

Thank you so much for this forum!

izzy

Feedback Score
    Not Galaxy S3 actually, however I believe it is possible to get a smartphone for free. E.g. Assurance Wireless offers Kyocera Loft and Reachout offers even better, like HTC Droid Incredible 2, Motorola Droid 2 or even iPhone 4

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by I. O. Pine View Post
    1. Does the phone have to be designated "payLo" or can any cell phone work?
    2. Can any "payLo" model be substituted, or must it be Kyocera?
    3. Can any carrier's "payLo" model be substituted, or must it be (in my case) an Assurance-branded replacement?
    Okeh ...
    1. The Assurance web page says any phone must be a Virgin Mobile "Pay-Lo" phone. No other carriers ; no unlocked phones.
    2. It does not need to be "Kyocea."
    3. Only Virgin Mobile offers "Pay-Lo" phones ; your replacement phone can be Virgin Mobile or Assurance -branded.
    Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    Sort of in the same boat as I set up one of my elderly family members with this service. She really doesn't need much in the way of talk/txt/data and can't afford another bill (even if it was $15-30/month). Nor is she great with technology, so I figured whatever they sent her would be just fine (Hell, a Jitterbug would work lol) but that Kyocera Jax they send is just awful. Was originally comparing Assurance Wireless with Access Wireless, which runs on Sprint, but figured on the off-chance she needed more minutes AW offered the choice to buy in $5 increments and was less $/minutes than Assurance.

Anywho, seems the Kyocera Contact (Verve) came out recently and has got decent reviews. Except can't get it less than the $40 it costs new. Whereas all the other Pay-Lo phones are easy and cheap to come by used. Was thinking of setting her up with the Samsung Montage for now.

It's too bad AW doesn't easily allow Sprint phones as well. That'd open up options for ruggedized feature phones. In retrospect my family member doesn't even use the full allotment of free minutes and had I chose Access wireless that would have probably given more options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Discobubba View Post
    Sort of in the same boat as I set up one of my elderly family members with this service. She really doesn't need much in the way of talk/txt/data and can't afford another bill (even if it was $15-30/month). Nor is she great with technology, so I figured whatever they sent her would be just fine (Hell, a Jitterbug would work lol) but that Kyocera Jax they send is just awful. Was originally comparing Assurance Wireless with Access Wireless, which runs on Sprint, but figured on the off-chance she needed more minutes AW offered the choice to buy in $5 increments and was less $/minutes than Assurance.

Anywho, seems the Kyocera Contact (Verve) came out recently and has got decent reviews. Except can't get it less than the $40 it costs new. Whereas all the other Pay-Lo phones are easy and cheap to come by used. Was thinking of setting her up with the Samsung Montage for now.

It's too bad AW doesn't easily allow Sprint phones as well. That'd open up options for ruggedized feature phones. In retrospect my family member doesn't even use the full allotment of free minutes and had I chose Access wireless that would have probably given more options.

AW is starting to give Unlimited calls and text in Cali. I just purchased a refurb LG Rumour Touch off Ebay for under $20 shipped from tripletech71 (3 left as of now). Got it today and got it activated. It's a version 8 so probably can't load any apps. Still trying to figure the phone out as the manuals don't tell you much. If anyone can advise on loading videos and music or apps that would be cool.

If I can make calls w/o dropped signal then that will be a huge plus as the Jax is crap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast