Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Can I unlock a Sprint iPhone 4S to give to a relative for use on T-Mobile?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I unlock a Sprint iPhone 4S to give to a relative for use on T-Mobile?

    Family member needs a phone, and I have 2 iPhone 4S from Sprint that I wanted to give to them to use. Any help is appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    7,701
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserc69 View Post
    Family member needs a phone, and I have 2 iPhone 4S from Sprint that I wanted to give to them to use. Any help is appreciated!
    Verizon and Sprint operate on CDMA networks while AT&T and T-Mobile operate on GSM networks, unfortunately this makes that impossible due to incompatible hardware.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0

    Thanks for the reply!

    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    Verizon and Sprint operate on CDMA networks while AT&T and T-Mobile operate on GSM networks, unfortunately this makes that impossible due to incompatible hardware.
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    589
    Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    0
    Umm, these replies are wrong on a couple of levels.

    1. A Sprint iPhone 4S can be used on Sprint with no modifications.
    2. A Sprint 4S also has the GSM radio in it. There are several ways to unlock it but you might lose some functionality (MMS).


    Sent with the HoFo App

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    589
    Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    0
    I should add that the 4S will not work on T-mobile's AWS (1700) frequency.


    Sent with the HoFo App

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm using a sprint iPhone 4S on tmobile now. 3G service and I can text pic message and all. Used a site. It's http://neterteam.com/download/
    You need a special SIM card my friend gave me but it is possible tho.


    Sent with the HoFo App

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgin13 View Post
    I'm using a sprint iPhone 4S on tmobile now. 3G service and I can text pic message and all. Used a site. It's [link removed]
    You need a special SIM card my friend gave me but it is possible tho.


    Sent with the HoFo App
    Those are called SIM interposers. Not only are they illegal in the United States per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, they will also severely inhibit the functionality of your phone. For instance, you may not be able to update your iOS without purchasing a new SIM interposer, which can be pricey.

    The iPhone 4S is a world phone and can be used on any GSM or CDMA network. Unfortunately, iPhones that use Sprint's network at any time are not permitted to access domestic GSM carriers (i.e., AT&T or T-Mobile) without Sprint's permission. Even worse, Sprint does not unlock iPhones for any reason whatsoever, even for customers who have completed their contracts.

    I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I, too, am in your situation, but I'll likely be switching to T-Mobile soon, even if I have to buy a new iPhone 5s.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    Those are called SIM interposers. Not only are they illegal in the United States per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, they will also severely inhibit the functionality of your phone. For instance, you may not be able to update your iOS without purchasing a new SIM interposer, which can be pricey.

    The iPhone 4S is a world phone and can be used on any GSM or CDMA network. Unfortunately, iPhones that use Sprint's network at any time are not permitted to access domestic GSM carriers (i.e., AT&T or T-Mobile) without Sprint's permission. Even worse, Sprint does not unlock iPhones for any reason whatsoever, even for customers who have completed their contracts.

    I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I, too, am in your situation, but I'll likely be switching to T-Mobile soon, even if I have to buy a new iPhone 5s.

    When I update I don't need a new chip. It works fine. And my company I'm with now said it's not illegal. I had heard that before. Apparently it's not true


    Sent with the HoFo App

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    677
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Seeing this, I can't help but wonder when Sprint will finally start formally unlocking per this agreement that they made with the CTIA last year:

    http://blog.ctia.org/2013/12/12/ctia...eless-devices/

    Anyone have any updates on that?
    - acadiel


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11
    Device(s)
    Sprint Iphone 5C
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    like they say its cdma versus gsm. no can do

Similar Threads

  1. Can you flash a Sprint iPhone onto Metro's Network?
    By coramdeo_10010 in forum MetroPCS Flashing and Modding
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2006, 10:39 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 05:46 PM
  4. Verizon v710 can i unlock to sprint?
    By GSR david in forum Sprint
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 10:59 AM
  5. Can you unlock a sprint phone to work w/Verizon
    By Husef9926 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 03:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks