Thread: Good news for those looking for a GSM phone for ST BYOP

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Straight Talk(AT&T Sim)
    Feedback Score

Good news for those looking for a GSM phone for ST BYOP

https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_4_16gb

The Nexus 4 dropped $100 on the Play Store, both the 8 and 16 GB versions. This is definitely THE phone to get for budget BYOPers now.

Of course I bought mine last month

Phone
    BlackBerry 10, Android,
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AIO
    Feedback Score
    Still showing $299 an $349 for me.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Jackson View Post

The Nexus 4 dropped $100 on the Play Store, both the 8 and 16 GB versions. This is definitely THE phone to get for budget BYOPers now.

DAMMIT!!!!!!!! And I just paid $300 for my unlocked GSIII. This right here is a steal. Unlocked, true google with no UI to clutter up system resources and access to nearly all cell bands. As much as I like samsung's interface, I would prefer straight google for a quicker, cleaner experience. But then again, I wish programs still supported Windows 98 because it isn't bogged down by all the stuff Microsoft loaded up XP, Vista and 7 with to have vanity and cosmetic appeal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tinfinity View Post
    DAMMIT!!!!!!!! And I just paid $300 for my unlocked GSIII. This right here is a steal. Unlocked, true google with no UI to clutter up system resources and access to nearly all cell bands. As much as I like samsung's interface, I would prefer straight google for a quicker, cleaner experience. But then again, I wish programs still supported Windows 98 because it isn't bogged down by all the stuff Microsoft loaded up XP, Vista and 7 with to have vanity and cosmetic appeal.
    hmmm, to bad the GSM network cripples the phone on ST.

Much rather be on CDMA, sadly, from what I understand, BYOD for CDMA on ST is on for verzion phones....

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Straight Talk(AT&T Sim)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wam View Post
    Still showing $299 an $349 for me.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Reset your cache or something. It was saying the same for me, but then I clicked on the other version(was sitting on the 8GB, so I clicked 16GB) and it reset the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by megahertz-prime View Post

Much rather be on CDMA, sadly, from what I understand, BYOD for CDMA on ST is on for verzion phones....
    My experience with GSM has been just fine IMO.

Did anybody besides me confirm that only VZW phones can be brought to BYOD CDMA? Because I wasn't 100% certain on that and could have been wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by megahertz-prime View Post

I'm on MetroPCS now, which uses the T-mobile network and has a BYOP program for unlocked phones. I bought my off Ebay.

ST has a BYOP for T-mobile and AT&T with SIM cards and a CDMA code kit for verizon.

Feedback Score
    I'm on MetroPCS now, which uses the T-mobile network and has a BYOP program for unlocked phones. I bought my off Ebay.

ST has a BYOP for T-mobile and AT&T with SIM cards and a CDMA code kit for verizon.
    No micro sd support...kills this phone out of the bat for me.

Feedback Score

I really like the LG F3, but sadly, nobody wants to unlock metro phones, I had a metro LG F3 but I returned it, before it became an expensive paper weight.

So I bought a CDMA virgin mobile with the intent to put the ST PRL on the phone and have them add the ESN.

I was able to bring my LG DARE and my METRO PCS SAMSUNG ADMIRE over to PAGE PLUS by just changing the PRL file with CDMA tools.

ST should be more straight talk, and not beat around the bush making it seem like you can port CDMA phones over when its really just verizon.

if a phone works on the frequencies, and the PRL changed, it should work

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Straight Talk(AT&T Sim)
    Feedback Score
    You probably should have found out before buying. You're probably going to have to look at other phones as well.

Feedback Score
    You probably should have found out before buying. You're probably going to have to look at other phones as well.
    I want this phone, someone has to know how to put it on DIAG mode

Carriers
    T-Mobie
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Google is pretty good about refunding difference if you bought the phone recently, I think cut off might be 30 days. Call cs and see what they say. I got a refund with the galaxy nexus when they cut it $50 shortly after I purchased.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    Samsung Stratosphere
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgie View Post
    Google is pretty good about refunding difference if you bought the phone recently, I think cut off might be 30 days. Call cs and see what they say. I got a refund with the galaxy nexus when they cut it $50 shortly after I purchased.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Yep ... you have 15 days to do so: https://support.google.com/googlepla.../2667427?hl=en

Feedback Score
    Those of you with the Nexus 4, do you like it?

Besides no micro-SD slot, what are your thoughts?

Seems like a great deal.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Straight Talk(AT&T Sim)
    Feedback Score
    I have had the N4 for almost 2 months and I'm loving it. I came from a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. The improvement was leaps and bounds. Much faster, smoother, etc. I don't experience lag anymore, HSPA+ works well, battery generally gets me through the day.

I do miss having an SD-card slot and a removable battery, but not as much as I thought I would. I still have 9GB free, I'm not a storage-intensive person. Hell, I've had my laptop for 2 years and haven't used half of my 500 GB hard drive.

The way I see it, you probably won't use everything on your card at once, if it gets full, remove some stuff and put it back when you need it.

Feedback Score
    Super stupid question here (please don't throw anything at me)- what network would it run on if I were to buy the Nexus 4 off of Google Play using the OP link? ...and follow-up question- let's say I found it cheaper on ebay and it says "unlocked" --does that mean I could buy EITHER the TMobile or ATT Sim card?

I currently have an unlocked phone and I am with "standard" TMobile plan. This is my first time switching to a prepaid carrier and I don't really understand what flexibility I have if say a phone was originally meant for Verizon but is unlocked--can that be used with a TMobile Sim card, or another example is if I bought the HTC One meant for TMobile but it is unlocked--can it be used with an ATT sim card?

Thank you for taking pitty on my newbie questions!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast