Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Moto X Release Thread

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score

Moto X Release Thread

Please use this thread to discuss the Moto X smartphone.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/d...rtphone/moto-x

=>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    It seems to me that the big question about this device will be whether the intangible and subjective UX features are strong enough to overbalance the lack of tier one specifications.

So, Moto X early adopters, will it play in Peoria?

Quick reference:
    http://phandroid.com/2013/08/07/lg-g...s4-vs-htc-one/

♪Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When is MotoMaker supposed to be on the X for Verizon?

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    The report goes on to claim that the “design yourself” customization options will remain exclusive to AT&T until early November, when the other three big carriers will get to join the program.

Granted, AdAge, a publication focused on marketing and advertising, isn’t a go-to source for technology news, but it’s a very reputable outlet nevertheless, that interviewed Motorola’s marketing chief Mike Wallace ahead of the Moto X unveiling on August 1. In other words, we tend to trust this report.

Verizon earlier confirmed that Moto Maker would become available to its customers “later this year”, while Sprint and T-Mobile haven’t offered any details so far.
    http://m.androidauthority.com/moto-x...erizon-253532/

Feedback Score
    Seems like contract price of MotoX is to drop down to $99.

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/373759936406114304

Will this lead to drop in price of off-contract device as well. I feel this is the price MotoX should have started selling at.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Mine came in earlier today and I am very pleased with it, was reading a lot of mixed reviews and got worried that I might end up having to return it but I am loving it so far, definitely worth upgrading to from the Droid Razr HD. I initially thought that Touchless Control was just a simple gimmick that would not get much use from me but I have found that that is not the case, a browse-aholic, I get more addicted to it the more I use it. The only thing that is a problem is that when the phone is in sleep mode with a password lock on Touchless Control is useless as it cannot override a password lock by default, but this can be solved by registering a bluetooth device to bypass the lock when used.

Sent from my Moto X
    Last edited by akhi216; 09-04-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am still waiting for a developer edition to surface for VZW, but I suspect your experience will be mirrored by many users when they get this phone, or any of the new Droid models for that matter.
    All of the reviewers I respect and listen to have said similar things about the voice controls and contextual awareness features of these phones.

I am very excited about the possibilities and can't wait to check it out up close, but I am well aware that root may not be possible at all on these devices without an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery, so I will hold off until I can have everything I want, perhaps even customizations from Moto Maker assuming that becomes available to us as well.
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Fear not —
    Verizon earlier confirmed that Moto Maker would become available to its customers “later this year”
    —post #5
    ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    Mine came in earlier today and I am very pleased with it, was reading a lot of mixed reviews and got worried that I might end up having to return it but I am loving it so far…
    The 24/7 audio (or voice-to-text?) data-mining potential inherent in the X8 SoC's hardware that makes voice activation feasible is the biggest reason I'm afraid of these 4 new GooMotos. Ditto the flock of Snapdragon 800 handsets now emerging to view.
    See the pre-release thread here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1806262 for more.

But the 'Active Display' feature is interesting to me —
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motor...-phone_id46527

Any reaction on that?

Last edited by TC_Mits; 09-04-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    But the 'Active Display' feature is interesting to me —
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motor...-phone_id46527

Any reaction on that?

Active Display on the Moto X/Droids 'breathes' notifications and the time to the owner and allows them to click on a notification directly from the lockscreen. I am not sure if non-Moto X/Droid phones that have the app installed can click on the notifications but I guess it is possible. I have read complaints about battery life when using the app on non-Moto X/Droid phones (of course) on various forums, I heard it explained that the extra drain on the battery was due to the fact that the non-Moto X/Droid phones do not have a dedicated contextual awareness processor and they don't have a screen that can breathe the notifications without draining extra juice, i.e. the HTC One's Super LCD display is not designed to to have reoccurring notifications while in sleep mode without extra battery drain due to the nature of it and what it was made for.

Sent from my Moto X
    Last edited by akhi216; 09-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Good tech info, makes sense.

How about a more UX oriented personal reaction; does it make a difference in how *you use the handset?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Thanks. Good tech info, makes sense.

How about a more UX oriented personal reaction; does it make a difference in how *you use the handset?

It makes you want to pick up the phone more to see that notification I suppose. It is not groundbreaking but I cannot say that I would rather not have it.

Sent from my Moto X
    Last edited by akhi216; 09-05-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down

It makes you want to pick up the phone more to see that notification I suppose. It is not groundbreaking but I cannot say that I would rather not have it
    I would rather not have it. You build a Home screen for a purpose. There are limited features in the 'Active Display', and it covers the buttons and widgets you need to get on one press or look.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wnrussell View Post
    I would rather not have it. You build a Home screen for a purpose. There are limited features in the 'Active Display', and it covers the buttons and widgets you need to get on one press or look.
    There is always the option to turn it off.

Sent from my Moto X

Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There is always the option to turn it off.
    I picked the option to delete it.

Holding off for the Moto Maker build. Of the 49 phones I have owned since 1999 only the Napoleon A4500 wasn't black.

Name:  motomaker2.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  22.3 KBName:  MotoMaker1.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  9.4 KB

A4500
    Name:  Nap00.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  13.2 KB
    Last edited by wnrussell; 09-06-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Memories of Napoleon

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    So, net result, the new Moto features, just like Sammy's TW stuff, tend to be over-hyped gimmicks that many owners will not use?

The 'voice command' wake-up potentially provides an intrusive eavesdropping device for every clever hacker that can access the hardware mike in the SoC and the 'active display' clogs up the home screens.

What's left?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast