Thread: Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 switched to CDMA-V Straight Talk Service... Doable?!

Feedback Score

Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 switched to CDMA-V Straight Talk Service... Doable?!

Newbie question. Tried to search for an answer to my question and can't find it... sorry! You can roll your eyes at me.

I currently have a LG Optimus V through Virgin Mobile. Service SUCKS at my house. Through research, I've found that I'll need a CDMA-V phone that runs through the Verizon towers. I obviously want Straight Talk because it's cheaper than Verizon.
    I've looked online about all this for hours on end and still seem to not know much.
    I was originally just going to buy the Samsung Galaxy Centura through Straight Talk. Easy and it works. Then I found a guy on eBay (that looks reputable through his reviews) that flashes Samsung Galaxy S2's to Straight Talk/Verizon (however that is done). You have to enter a few things when you receive it but seems simple and other people have had success.

But I happened to talk to my brother-in-law today who said he'd sell me his Samsung Galaxy S3 for super cheap. When I asked him what the carrier was he just said it was "unlocked". I'd love to buy that and find a good step-by-step instruction on what I have to do to make it work (hack/flash/etc.). (I understand it might include buying a cheap straight talk phone and using some numbers from that maybe and/or buying these SIM cards.) I can't see online whether Samsung Galaxys are mainly CDMA or GSM phones?

In short, I just need to know if what I'm thinking is even doable with the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Feedback Score
    If the phone is 'unlocked' then it might be a GSM phone. In that case you have to figure out if it is a At&t or T-Mobile phone, then get the appropriate carrier sim card from Straight Talk.

S Beamed using Tapatalk 4

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Straight Talk(AT&T Sim)
    Feedback Score
    The galaxy s3 is available on all 4 of the big carriers, so there is both a cdma version and a gsm version.

The S3 cannot be brought to straight talk's byop on the CDMA side. No 4G phones are allowed.

There are 2 ways to have an S3 on ST. You can buy the one they sell at Walmart and be on Sprint's network.

Or you can buy an unlocked GSM model and order a BYOP Sim from ST. You have your choice of T-mobile or AT&T towers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    Hmmm. Ok, thanks. I'm waiting for a reply from him to see if he can give me any hints on whether it is a GSM or CDMA phone. What I have to remember is that I need a CDMA phone no matter what (GSM can never work on the Verizon towers) and then go from there with the SIM cards and such.

Feedback Score
    So my options are Sprint's, T-Mobile's or AT&T's networks? No option for Verizon's towers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alicia9265 View Post
    Newbie question. Tried to search for an answer to my question and can't find it... sorry! You can roll your eyes at me.

I currently have a LG Optimus V through Virgin Mobile. Service SUCKS at my house. Through research, I've found that I'll need a CDMA-V phone that runs through the Verizon towers. I obviously want Straight Talk because it's cheaper than Verizon.
    I've looked online about all this for hours on end and still seem to not know much.
    I was originally just going to buy the Samsung Galaxy Centura through Straight Talk. Easy and it works. Then I found a guy on eBay (that looks reputable through his reviews) that flashes Samsung Galaxy S2's to Straight Talk/Verizon (however that is done). You have to enter a few things when you receive it but seems simple and other people have had success.

But I happened to talk to my brother-in-law today who said he'd sell me his Samsung Galaxy S3 for super cheap. When I asked him what the carrier was he just said it was "unlocked". I'd love to buy that and find a good step-by-step instruction on what I have to do to make it work (hack/flash/etc.). (I understand it might include buying a cheap straight talk phone and using some numbers from that maybe and/or buying these SIM cards.) I can't see online whether Samsung Galaxys are mainly CDMA or GSM phones?

In short, I just need to know if what I'm thinking is even doable with the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Thanks very much in advance for any help!
    buying a flashed phone on ebay will get you burned quick!!! straight talk has ways of knowing if you are using a legit phone.
    if you are caught straight talk will terminiate your service and render your phone useless.

Feedback Score
    oh really? gahhhh. bummer. but thanks for the warning.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Straight Talk(AT&T Sim)
    Feedback Score
    So my options are Sprint's, T-Mobile's or AT&T's networks? No option for Verizon's towers?
    That is correct. No Verizon for the S3 on ST.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Feedback Score
    What u can do is download dfs cdma put phone in ##diag# mode then upload st prl file with dfs cdma This will tell the phone to go onto Verizon/st towers. Then just copy and paste settings from 1 phone to the other u can have the virgin mobile phone obviously st

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Could you... or anyone... explain this procedure a little more clearly...
    I have an older Samsung on ST-V... would like to get an S3 if this process would work.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RKMitch View Post
    Could you... or anyone... explain this procedure a little more clearly...
    I have an older Samsung on ST-V... would like to get an S3 if this process would work.

Thanks!
    trying to flash phones to straight talk will just get shut off and blacklisted.

Feedback Score
    My problem is just the other way around. Straight Talk sold me a Galaxy S3 but neglected to say it was on the Sprint network. I do not live in an area with adequate Sprint coverage so I have some real issues. I wanted to get it flashed so I could move to the Verizon network - Straight Talk made it VERY clear. They will not unlock my phone. I would greatly appreciate any assistance that may be available to solve this problem. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat48 View Post
    My problem is just the other way around. Straight Talk sold me a Galaxy S3 but neglected to say it was on the Sprint network. I do not live in an area with adequate Sprint coverage so I have some real issues. I wanted to get it flashed so I could move to the Verizon network - Straight Talk made it VERY clear. They will not unlock my phone. I would greatly appreciate any assistance that may be available to solve this problem. Thanks
    sell the phone on ebay/craigslist. if you are going to buy a phone to put on straight talks prepaid verizon network it must be a 3G or
    older phone. and there is nothing to unlock on a cdma phone.

Feedback Score
    No - I want to divorce myself from Straight Talk. That is why I thought that I needed to have my phone 'flashed' so that I could change carriers. I would most likely get Verizon's prepaid service since I would already have a phone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    oh really? gahhhh. bummer. but thanks for the warning.
    Ill trade u a flashed S3 that is on page plus fully flashed for yours

Sent with the HoFo App