Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to unlock GSM Motorola StarTAC \ GSM (MicroTAC) Motorola Select Series phones

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Post How to unlock GSM Motorola StarTAC \ GSM (MicroTAC) Motorola Select Series phones

Information should be free.

First a shout out to Rommel out in Cali for selling me his RoEMMI Box and his custom made MicroTAC unlocking cable.

The following will show you how to unlock GSM Motorola StarTAC’s and GSM (MicroTAC) Motorola Select Series phones.

In the U.S. there were two StarTAC models released which still work today on the 1900MHz Band (T-Mobile and AT&T), the Motorola StarTAC 7000g and the Motorola StarTAC 8000g.
    There were also three GSM MicroTAC models (a.k.a. Motorola Select Series) which also used the 1900MHz band: Motorola Select 2000e, Motorola Select 3000e, and Motorola Select 6000e.
    This will also unlock the overseas GSM StarTAC, GSM MicroTAC, and MicroTAC International Series too [I have a Motorola StarTAC 75, 130, 130 Silver Edition (Only Dual band StarTAC- GSM 900\1800MHz), and a MicroTAC International 8900 (Only dual band MicroTAC- GSM 900\1800MHz) and they unlocked with the RoEMMI box].

If you need to buy a full-size SIM to normal-size SIM adapter (thanks Max):

“Budget” one: http://www.smartcardfocus.com/shop/i.../p/index.shtml
    “Quality” one: http://www.smartcardfocus.com/shop/i.../p/index.shtml

What you need

Unfortunately, software alone can’t unlock these bad boys so you’ll need something called a “RoEMMI Box” (EMMI= Electronic Man Made Interface Box, IIRC.). You can buy it from these guys, amongst other places I’m sure: http://www.gsm-support.net/ (I’m not promoting these guys but I have bought stuff from them in the past and they have always answered all my questions\have great shipping rates). When you buy this “box” it’ll include the cable for the StarTAC series phone.

As for the MicroTAC cable, you’ll have to fabricate one on your own as it’s not available for purchase (Like I mentioned above, when I bought my RoEMMI Box the owner had custom made one).
    When you buy this “box” it’ll come with some other unlocking cables and this one is just one of those cables with the RJ-45 end left intact and the other end re-wired.
    I did crack open the MicroTAC cable and here’s what’s inside:

Name:  MicroTAC Unlocking Cable- Top Cover Off.jpg
Views: 8080
Size:  55.1 KB

I wish all that crap weren’t on the wires to get a better idea of the wiring (to me, it looks to be, from left to right: green, blue, white-orange, orange, and white-blue

The RJ-45 end connecting to the RoEMMI Box

Name:  MicroTAC Unlocking Cable EMMI RJ-45 End- Top.jpg
Views: 5053
Size:  66.8 KB

You’ll need a laptop or desktop with a Parallel port set to “EPP” in the BIOS, running Win98 or XP. I suggest a dual boot of Win98 and XP especially if you’re going to unlock other phones as some of these unlocking apps only work in Win98 and vice versa with XP. Personally, I use a Dell Latitude C610 (P3 1.2GHz) but have also used a Dell Optiplex GX280 (P4 2.8GHz).
    The software used to unlock is called “PEMaster”. If you can’t find a copy online, PM me if you need a copy.

Please note: You cannot just use this program to unlock the phone! You need to have the RoEMMI Box!

How to Unlock

Standard Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any potential damage you do and shall not be held liable in anyway shape or form.

Make sure:
    You have the phone off and no SIM card in the phone before connecting to the RoEMMI Box, remember to set the Parallel port to “EPP” in the BIOS, connect the RoEMMI Box to the Parallel port, and connect the USB cable to the RoEMMI Box and then to the computer.

Name:  RoEMMI Box- Connected to Computer with phone off (PEMaster controlled on-off).jpg
Views: 5045
Size:  72.7 KB

Note: If you are able to fabricate the MicroTAC cable, try NOT connecting the USB cable as the phone seems to stay “connected” longer (the time the phone is “connected” seems to decrease when the USB cable is connected. Again, this is my experience with my cable so it could be different for yours.). If you make this cable this’ll make more sense.

Here’s what to do:

Go to your PEMaster directory and run PEmaster.
    You’ll see this window pop up:

Name:  PEMaster EMMI Box connected but no phone (original).PNG
Views: 5074
Size:  68.1 KB

On the keyboard hit the “O” key to turn the phone on and you’ll see this. Your IMEI number will be displayed (noticed the edited area).

Name:  PEMaster EMMI Box connected with phone edited.PNG
Views: 4987
Size:  74.7 KB

Hit the “U” key to unlock the phone. If the unlock was successful, you’ll see under “messages” that the phone has been unlocked.

***If the phone has a user-set phone lock code, hit the “R” key to display, amongst other values, the code so that you may reset it to your liking.

Hit the “O” key one more time to turn the phone off and then disconnect the phone from the box. Make a test call from a SIM that didn’t work before to verify it’s been unlocked.

That’s it! You just unlocked your MicroTAC\StarTAC!

More guides to come

Now, if you don't want to do or deal with any of the above and just want your phone to be unlocked, I can unlock it for you. PM me for the details- THIS IS NOT AN UP-SELL AS I JUST LISTED STEP-BY-STEP WHAT TO DO

Device(s)
    EVO 4G
    Feedback Score
    Nice tutorial.

Will this software also unlock the V3682?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hey, thx.

Had to verify on my V3682 (I bought mine already unlocked) but yes it does.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here are the phones this box can unlock (should have done this when I originally posted, but here they are).

From left to right: Motorola Select 2000e, Motorola Select 3000e, Motorola Select 6000e, Motorola StarTAC 7000g, Motorola StarTAC 8000g, and Motorola Vader v3682.

Name:  56.jpg
Views: 31875
Size:  77.8 KB

Device(s)
    EVO 4G
    Feedback Score
    I haven't been looking too hard, but I haven't yet come across anyone selling a roemmi box. I'll need one eventually to unlock some of these phones.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Check your PM

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Hey bah101 do you still have your rommei box to unlock those phones listed?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hey Startacfanatic. Yes I do still have the equipment- check your PM

Feedback Score
    I've got an old Select 2000e. You still have the equipment to unlock?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes I do. Check your PM.

Feedback Score
    I need a 130 startac and an 85 startac unlocked. Any ideas? I'm in the uk. Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Goochy, check your PM.

Feedback Score
    Oh man I spent a long time trying to find a way to unlock these phones and you post is the BEST I've seen so far. Good Stuff . WELL DONE !!!! . I have looked everywhere for a RoEMMI Box to purchase but of course its difficult to find. Can you point me in the right direction as to where i can find one for sale. I have four Startacs to unlock right now with a couple more on the way.
    Also I'm seeing a seeing a guy from the UK using a test sim with some extra code on it to unlock it ( see Video)

www*youtube.com/watch?v=gJAt5j-z30g

I narrowed the making of the sim down to this site
    www*gsm-support.net/en/motorola_asim_emulator

But that's as far as i got. Ill have figure out how to make the sim .

Any thoughts or suggestions ill be happy to hear

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hey netcabletnt. Yeah, I tried to post as much intel as I could as it's either non-existent, sparse, or spread across so many different sources...

Addressing your questions, I've seen his videos when he does an unlock and I believe he's using the software on the GSM-Support website combined with either, and someone correct me if I'm wrong here, either a Moto Gold Card (??), or a Moto Test SIM Card, but don't hold me to this...
    As for purchasing a RoEMMI Box, when I posted this SOP, I know GSM-Support still had these in stock and there was another vendor overseas that I'd have to look in my notes to name, but I recently did check and, sorry to say, both no longer carry them.

Not an upsell, but if you can't find anything on your own or just want them unlocked, PM me and I can unlock them for you as long as you're in The States. For anyone overseas, I'd recommend they buy one of the Dual Band models (e.g., MicroTAC International 8900, or the Motorola 130 Silver Edition).

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Hi, i'm needing to unlock my Startac 7000g... But the thing is that i'm in Colombia and all this stuff seems to be expensive D:
    Any Ideas?, Still have the equipment?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast