Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AIO: Will an AT&T locked phone work?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

AIO: Will an AT&T locked phone work?

I have an HTC One locked to AT&T, running their stock OS (not rooted or anything). 2 Questions if I cancel my contract and go to AIO:

1 - Will I be able to use the phone on AIO's network without unlocking it first? I'll eventually get it unlocked, but I want to keep my number. I can't unlock my phone until I cancel service. I can't cancel service until I port my number. With a ported number and a locked device, I'm worried I won't have a useable phone for days/weeks

2 - Will the phone still receive software updates via the standard OTA method? HTC claims they are updating US HTC One to the latest Android by the end of September

Appreciate the help

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentdaze View Post
    I can't unlock my phone until I cancel service.
    Are you sure?

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    It should work. I tried out AIO for a month and during my month, I bought the GoPhone Galaxy Express and put my AIO SIM card in it, and everything worked immediately, including data. It notified me to let me know it was changing MMS settings, but that worked after it changed them.

Feedback Score
    Your locked phone should work on Aio. However, you should be able to get your phone unlocked even though it is under contract. If they hassle you, tell them you're going overseas and you need to use your phone there. Worst case, pay the ETF (which you're going to have to do anyway) and then get it unlocked.

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Moto G
    Carrier
    AT&T (Cricket)
    Feedback Score
    1. yes, put your SIM card in and turn it on.
    2. yes, you will continue to get updates.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. I tried calling to get my phone unlocked and thought being honest about my plans since AIO is owned by AT&T would get me results - no one at AT&T either in store or in the customer care department had any clue what AIO was though and wouldn't help me out. Might be too late to try the "I'm going overseas" route - but since some of you are saying it will just work, I'll give it a shot

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Moto G
    Carrier
    AT&T (Cricket)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentdaze View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I tried calling to get my phone unlocked and thought being honest about my plans since AIO is owned by AT&T would get me results - no one at AT&T either in store or in the customer care department had any clue what AIO was though and wouldn't help me out. Might be too late to try the "I'm going overseas" route - but since some of you are saying it will just work, I'll give it a shot
    Try this
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/cli...msAndCondition

But, in the end a LOCKED ATT phone will work on aio.

Feedback Score

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by poison7fl View Post
    But, in the end a LOCKED ATT phone will work on aio.
    THIS IS NOT TRUE!

I have an AT&T locked iPhone 4S that works with StraightTalk's prepaid AT&T network. Last night I went to an AIO kiosk to change my service (because StraightTalk on AT&T has gone to crap) and the SIM card WOULD NOT work with AIO.

I tried to submit a request to AT&T to unlock my second-hand phone but their computer system automatically denied my request. I've personally owned the thing and have been using it on ST for over a year now... I'm not sure how much longer it will take before AT&T may unlock it for me.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    both are right

1 att locked phones other than iphones will not have an issue with aio

2 att iphones must be unlocked to work properly with aio.

Feedback Score
    Cooter - do AT&T iPhones have to be unlocked to work with GoPhone? How about with Straight Talk? Thanks!

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aKansasKid View Post
    Cooter - do AT&T iPhones have to be unlocked to work with GoPhone? How about with Straight Talk? Thanks!
    no with either st or gophone the iphone does not have to be
    unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Cooter!

Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    no with either st or gophone the iphone does not have to be
    unlocked.
    I hope u r sending at&t n tracfone billing for service rendered. U tell'm u do more dan just tech n CS dan their own people

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    I hope u r sending at&t n tracfone billing for service rendered. U tell'm u do more dan just tech n CS dan their own people

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
    i should but getting folks on the right program that fits there needs is good enough.

Carrier
    aio Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beekir View Post
    THIS IS NOT TRUE!

I have an AT&T locked iPhone 4S that works with StraightTalk's prepaid AT&T network. Last night I went to an AIO kiosk to change my service (because StraightTalk on AT&T has gone to crap) and the SIM card WOULD NOT work with AIO.

I tried to submit a request to AT&T to unlock my second-hand phone but their computer system automatically denied my request. I've personally owned the thing and have been using it on ST for over a year now... I'm not sure how much longer it will take before AT&T may unlock it for me.
    This.

As I mentioned in another thread, for some reason iPhones have to be unlocked to work on aio. I don't know why, since I've had numerous people come from ST to us and inquire. It's rather frustrating, especially since people can't get their iPhones unlocked for a decent price anymore.

Also beekir, have you tried seeing if a friend of yours that currently has AT&T service could do the request for you?

Apparently AT&T's current unlock policy for phones not on contract is something like:

- Current subscribers can unlock 5 devices per year.
    - Former AT&T post-paid customers are allowed 5 device unlocks per former account.

I just helped a couple of friends unlock their phones using my previous account information.
    Disclaimer: I work for an authorized aio Wireless dealer. I do not work for corporate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast