Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Lumia 520, Help! Few problems with pic messages working & Microsoft sign in!

Feedback Score

Unhappy Nokia Lumia 520, Help! Few problems with pic messages working & Microsoft sign in!

Hello all,

I having trouble with my girlfriends new Lumia 520 on Straight Talk.

1) Picture messaging. It cannot receive or send picture messages. (text and internet work fine though).

2) For some reason the phone cannot sign into her Microsoft account at all (which means I can't access the app store to download apps).

Ideas? All help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    To sign in try using an account name without the @ sign and use just a period. example: action.outlook.com Your account name should be your email address.

Also, Please reset your phone by holding in the volume down key while you turn the phone on. WP8 sometimes locks up MMS and resetting or rebooting the phone is the quickest fix. You don't need to do a hard reset which wipes the phone.

Once you can sign into the app store use search to find Nokia's Access Point app that will installs in your Settings Menu. Now try setting up your APN and MMS settings using Access Point. Keep the settings you entered in the Cellular settings. If that does not work I have some additional MMS settings that are working for me using ST at&t sim that we can try.

Are you using an at&t sim or a T-mobile SIM?
    Last edited by wg8dx; 09-06-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Feedback Score
    First off, thanks for the reply.

I was now able to get signed into Microsoft.

I looked for the Access Point app but couldn't find it in the store. So I still can't send or receive pictures.

Also, I have the AT&T micro-sim.

Ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wg8dx View Post
    To sign in try using an account name without the @ sign and use just a period. example: action.outlook.com Your account name should be your email address.

Also, Please reset your phone by holding in the volume down key while you turn the phone on. WP8 sometimes locks up MMS and resetting or rebooting the phone is the quickest fix. You don't need to do a hard reset which wipes the phone.

Once you can sign into the app store use search to find Nokia's Access Point app that will installs in your Settings Menu. Now try setting up your APN and MMS settings using Access Point. Keep the settings you entered in the Cellular settings. If that does not work I have some additional MMS settings that are working for me using ST at&t sim that we can try.

Are you using an at&t sim or a T-mobile SIM?

First off, thanks for the reply.

I was now able to get signed into Microsoft.

I looked for the Access Point app but couldn't find it in the store. So I still can't send or receive pictures.

Also, I have the AT&T micro-sim.

Ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks again!

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Glad to hear you got the one thing fixed. Hopefully I can help, I use these settings on Net10, but they are all the same now as far as I know:

under the cellular option in setting, you should see edit internet apn. In that area, you'll type:

APN: tfdata

Nothing else. Save it and leave it alone. All the rest is goobalie gark.

Next, you'll see edit mms apn. In there, you'll put:

User name:
    Password:
    WAP gateway: mms3.tracfone.com
    WAP gateway port: 80
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMSC Port: 80
    Maximum MMS Size:

If I left it blank, don't put anything in it. Save it and you should have MMS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Glad to hear you got the one thing fixed. Hopefully I can help, I use these settings on Net10, but they are all the same now as far as I know:

under the cellular option in setting, you should see edit internet apn. In that area, you'll type:

Nothing else. Save it and leave it alone. All the rest is goobalie gark.

Next, you'll see edit mms apn. In there, you'll put:

User name:
    Password:
    WAP gateway: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMSC Port: 80
    Maximum MMS Size:

If I left it blank, don't put anything in it. Save it and you should have MMS

Holy crap, it worked! Thanks so much for the info!

I could be wrong, but since changing it to the above settings, it appears that the website loading and app downloading is going much slower than it did with the previous settings. Its showing 4G though still though.

Ideas?

EDIT: Maybe I'm just imagining things, playing around with it more, could have been just a big website/app.

Feedback Score
    Actually, it just did give me a data connection error when trying to download the twitter app. Maybe my connection sucks here...? Who knows...

Are you guys getting good 4G signals with the Lumia 520, (that is if you have one)?

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboy11 View Post
    Actually, it just did give me a data connection error when trying to download the twitter app. Maybe my connection sucks here...? Who knows...

Are you guys getting good 4G signals with the Lumia 520, (that is if you have one)?
    Try downloading the App Speedtest.net and let us know what your down and upload speeds look like. I'm about 4 miles from the closest at&t tower and average around 2 to3 mbps down and 1 mbps up. When I'm within a half mile of the tower line of site and when it's not very congested with other users I have received 7 mbps down and 3.5 mbps up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wg8dx View Post
    Try downloading the App Speedtest.net and let us know what your down and upload speeds look like. I'm about 4 miles from the closest at&t tower and average around 2 to3 mbps down and 1 mbps up. When I'm within a half mile of the tower line of site and when it's not very congested with other users I have received 7 mbps down and 3.5 mbps up.
    Averages about 3 mbps down and 2 mbps up.

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboy11 View Post
    Averages about 3 mbps down and 2 mbps up.
    That is pretty decent and faster than most home DSL lines. Getting close to the tower will give you more throughput but I doubt if you would notice that much. I try and use WiFi when ever I can and since I cant find a Windows Phone app that will track data usage we need to be careful of getting throttled.

I'm estimating that I use under 2 GB each month and have not yet been throttled or in the last 13 months of ST service. Staying under 2 GB a month and about 100 MB a day is usually safe but since ST limits are not officially posted getting throttled can be arbitrary.

Glad to hear that your GF's Lumia 520 is now working correctly.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Hi, I'm another new smartphone user trying a couple Nokia Lumia 520s on Straight Talk. Been reading all I can find about these phones having problems with MMS messages with pictures. I have tried numerous settings shown on various forums to correct this problem, along with another problem we are having with pictures being blocked attached to emails. I have my both of our phones set with the settings above and still no success, both using Straight Talk SIMs on the AT&T network. If there are any other ideas on this, I would love to hear and try them as I would sure like to get these problems resolved and Straight Talk hasn't been any help so far.

Thanks!

Phones
    iPhone 4 on ST&t
    iPhone 4
    ICS 4.0.3 Lenovo a1
    Carrier
    ST on AT&T SIM
    Feedback Score
    Here are the settings I've used on 4 of them, all working:

Internet APN*

*MMS APN*
    WAP gateway (URL): 66.209.11.33
    MMSC (URL) http://mms-tf.net
    MMSC port: 80
    Maximum MMS size: 10485

Let us know if that works for you.
    Happy Holidays!
    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App
    *who was phone?*

;3

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick reply. These settings work on one of my phones, but for some reason won't on the other. I have recycled power a couple times on the phone that still doesn't work, and waited 30 minutes one time before I turned it on.

On comparing all the settings between the two, the only thing I can find is that the working phone shows "HOME" for the active network name, whereas as the non-working shows "AT&T". The working SIM Straight Talk replaced when I wanted to change my number on another SIM I already had, but they said they had to get me another new one. The non-working SIM I ordered from their website directly for AT&T network phone. Both phones purchased were new in the sealed package AT&T Go Phone packaging, so they never have been touched before.

Still scratching my head on this one and maybe Straight Talk can explain the network name differences, but not sure if that is an issue or not.

All ideas and thoughts appreciated, as we're getting closer.....

Thanks again!

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    It shouldn't say HOME or ATT it should say TFW. Are these new sim cards? Is the card that the sim came on blue?

Phones
    iPhone 4 on ST&t
    iPhone 4
    ICS 4.0.3 Lenovo a1
    Carrier
    ST on AT&T SIM
    Feedback Score
    its ok that it says HOME, I have 2 SIM cards that read TFW in an iPhone, but work and say HOME in the Lumia. Are you adjusting the APN through Settings>Cellular>Edit MMS/InternetAPN or the Nokia app? I haven't used the app, but as far as I can tell it either doesn't work or just confuses people.
    Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast