Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motorola Whisper

Feedback Score
    The Jabra gels are about 1mm too wide in diameter for a perfect fit with the head of the Whisper. I did get it to fit by wrapping the rim of the Whisper's speaker head with double sided tape - the gap is really just that small amount of space. I wish it were a perfect fit, but the tape seems to hold it firm. It's very comfortable and really boosts the incoming sound.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Good, I'll give the combo a try. I had the eargels a few years ago for some older headsets and they were really comfortable. Anything to get rid of the ear hook on this thing! Only thing that sucks is it probably won't fit in the travel case with the eargel, will it?

Feedback Score
    Yes, The travel case is definitely too small with the Jabra eargel on. Glad to see that Amazon is still selling them as the one I am using was super glued onto my old Zivio headset.

I've had the combo on all day and it's pretty comfortable. At the risk of becoming a complete headset geek, I did a little experimenting with the ear hook. I took the larger one, heated it with the wife's blow dryer and opened it up a bit. Much better. Also found another type of gel (donut shaped) in my headset graveyard box that fit the Whisper. With the ear hook, it fits a lot like the legend.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Jabra eargel acquired and modified with a small ring of tape. Problem solved! It's finally time to sell the Legend.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pluka View Post
    I think it would work. The Whisper speaker is just a round bud. I have some old Jabra gels that I can try this evening. If they work, a custom gel should. I've never used one, so I don't have a recommendation for a supplier, but I do know the Etymotic has good, but expensive, custom gels.
    I highly recommend Microsonic (http://www.microsonic-inc.com/) for custom ear gels. I have them both for my music earbuds and for my bluetooth headset.

You can read about my experience here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/564067/revi...-by-microsonic

Feel free to ask me questions.

Feedback Score
    By the way if you anyone is looking for discounted Bluetooth headsets check out. discountphonegear dot c o m Legend Voyager headsets for $74.99 and the Whisper is coming soon for $100. Free Shipping. Such a dope site, thought I'd share

Feedback Score
    After the demise of a pretty decent BlueAnt Q2 (although I seemed to like it a little better than my listeners), I survived with a rickety Moto H17txt while doing research. I came across the Whisper, notes in this forum, became intrigued, and added it to my short list. I quickly concluded there was no perfect BT headset for me. Among my previous BTs are a Jawbone Era, BlueAnt Q2 and Z9i, Moto H17txt and HS850

I never found the Jawbone comfortable or secure in my ear and frankly never figured out what the fuss was about.

When the BlueAnts were good, they were awesome, but they did have a tendency to twist and turn on my head during use. I really liked the integration with the phone, and the Z9i's proprietary charging cable ticked me off.

The Motos were very good, very nice, the H17txt in particular. It produces a fair amount of volume, which is good because it does not fit snugly on my ear. Listeners like the call quality. But the earhook on the H17txt was easily broken and hurt my ear after a while.

So in my latest search, I brought home the Whisper this evening. It was my first choice for several reasons.

1) Call quality. My absolute number one priority. With limited reviews, I perceived quality to be as good or slightly better than, in order, the Legend, Bose, Q2, Era, Q3, Moto HX550, and Plantronics M55. I've owned the ones in bold..
    2) Price. A sale at Best Buy and a new card discount got me out the door under $90 before tax. That edged out a Legend at Staples at a post-Rewards, pre-tax $58. I pulled the trigger on the Whisper knowing the Legend would be my second choice; the HX550 in third, using an Amazon price match; the BlueAnt Q2, online for about $40; and the BlueAnt Q3, $75 at Verizon Wireless. Price knocked the Bose out of the running. When I left Best Buy, I figured there was a 40% chance I'd bring it back.
    3) Looks. I've decided I will no longer be the guy in the store with a headset. Car, office, and home office. If I went with a boom mic for sound, the Whisper is the least whacked looking, although the Legend was not bad.
    4) Good Features. I expected the Whisper to be a little more future proof and integrate with my Android phone. I also like the idea of a case. The Q2/Q3 voice commands seemed to be ahead of everyone else - still. The HX550 flip to turn on is a great feature, as is MOTOSPEAK. I was almost won over by the Legend's pick up to answer feature. I still may be.
    5) Bad/Missing Features. The only thing that steered me away from the Q2/Q3 was the contact mic and the way the set would swing away from my face. I feared the HX550 might be a little too much like the H17txt for my own (dis)comfort. Then there are two big downsides to the Legend: a) the proprietary charger connection. Great in theory, but it requires workarounds at additional cost for the way I work; and b) after all these years, Plantronics still does not offer a premium headset like the Legend that can handle two calls at once. Finally, I was bummed that MOTOSPEAK does not support the Whisper.

At full retail, I would probably have gotten the Legend or the HX550. But I didn't have to pay full retail.

So what's it like?

Connection was nearly instantaneous on my Droid Razr HD and my corporate issue BlackBerry 9800. It grabbed my contact history from the Droid, and for the first time since I have owned that phone, Voice Command understands me. My first cell call was to an iPhone, by voice command. The recipient was on speakerphone and said I was very clear. She heard no difference with the boom extended or retracted, and she characterized my voice quality as very good and what she is normally used to hearing when I call (Q2 or handset.)

The Whisper is very comfortable. I tend to have average sized earholes, and the OOB gel fit very well and did not feel like it wanted to fall out easily. I added the over the ear loop and to this point the softer material (vs the H17txt) is comfortable and keeping the set in place. It combines the comfort of the Q2 with a level of secure attachment I have not experienced with any other headset. Note - the Whisper comes with two ear loops. One has a larger radius than the other, and that means a lot in terms of on-ear comfort. It has sat on/in my ear now for three hours and is astonishingly comfortable.

It feels really substantial. The retractable boom seems to be built to last. It doesn't look as big or as bad as you'd think, but I'm still not wearing it into a store.

I expected good integration with the Android phone, and my expectations were surpassed. It has a system-like feel that Mac and iPhone owners rave about. It has an intuitive layout, like getting behind the wheel of a model you've never driven and finding all the controls exactly where you expect them to be.

I still have questions. How good is the noise suppression? How accurate is that 300 foot claimed range? How well does it work with an iPhone, the next corporate issue cell phone? I will update as I learn more. But so far, I am VERY impressed.

Based on how YOU weight the criteria, any of the headsets I mentioned, and others, might be the one for you. I think the Whisper, Legend, HX550, Q2, Bose, and Era (Because so many see something I do not) should be on your short list if you are after a serious Bluetooth headset. I wouldn't pay full retail for any of them, but that's how I am. Best Buy has the Whisper on sale for $110 this week which IMHO makes it an absolute steal. The Legend can be had for $73 or so, which makes it a great value as well. And the HX550 goes for $40.63 on Amazon, and your local Target will match that.

Good job, Motorola. In my view, there is no perfect headset out there, but quite a few good ones. This one is gonna turn some heads.

Feedback Score
    Scion676

I agree the Legend is more comfortable, but at least for me, it never sits in my ear firmly. The Whisper fits my ear better with one of the included ear gels, but starts to get uncomfortable if I use the ear loop for a long period.

I'm also on the phone for 3+hours daily, so I understand the priority on comfort.

BTW, in my tests, it did handle wind noise better than the Legend, but without comfort it's a moot point.

I have used both and while I think the Whisper is sonically better .....the comfort of the legend for me is superior ....also I had problems with the Whisper repeatably dropping words or garbled conversation even though it was only a few feet from my phone.

I also thought the Whisper had a cheap feel by comparison

Feedback Score
    I've been using the Whisper as my daily headset now for a few months and IMHO it has the best outgoing call quality of any similar option by a fair margin. The 300 ft range is BS, although I would say the range is at least comparable to the Legend, but slightly less than the BOSE 2. The only bluetooth headset I've found with better outgoing quality is the Blueparrott xpressway II, but in every other respect it is inferior to the Whisper.

Feedback Score
    I've been using the Whisper as my daily headset now for a few months and IMHO it has the best outgoing call quality of any similar option by a fair margin. The 300 ft range is BS, although I would say the range is at least comparable to the Legend, but slightly less than the BOSE 2. The only bluetooth headset I've found with better outgoing quality is the Blueparrott xpressway II, but in every other respect it is inferior to the Whisper.
    I liked the Whisper as I did think it was a little better sounding than the Legend but after using it for about 6 weeks, I just could not get comfortable with it as it just felt cheap to me and uncomfortable.

What had me return to the legend was people consistently told me that I "breaking up" and the battery life is less than the legend both I think are good units and simply offer trade off's

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yea same for me easygoer13,

I tried really hard to like the Whisper but my main issue was comfort. I tried 3rd party eargels as well as every combo of the included eargels/hooks and couldn't find anything that sat well in my ear without discomfort.

I recently switched over to the Jabra Motion and was pleasantly surprised by the noise cancelation quality outdoors in the wind with cars zooming by. Much better than my old Legend, which I have since sold on CL. The motion is now my daily driver. The volume adjuster (touch sensitive) kind of sucks but I always leave it at max volume anyway and just adjust on my phone so that's not a big deal. I also like that it has a dedicated mute button.

I personally think the Motion is on par with the Whisper even though its a bit bulkier like the Legend. It's comfortable and won't come off of my ear since its an over the ear design.

-Scion

Phones
    Droid X and Evo 4G
    Epic S2 4g Touch
    iPhone 4s
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have to agree scion676
    I've retired my Legend as well. I find myself wearing the Jabra Motion on a daily basis now. I'm not sure what was going on with my Legend but everyone I spoke to kept saying it was clipping/distorting words. I've not tried the Whisper but think I will go out and give it a try. What I also love about the Motion is like my Legend It connected to both of my phones without a hitch, It also allows me to stream music from ether phone. I'm not sure if the Whisper allows you to stream from two connected phones or not. I'm sure the multipoint probably works great.

Quote Originally Posted by scion676 View Post
    Yea same for me easygoer13,

I tried really hard to like the Whisper but my main issue was comfort. I tried 3rd party eargels as well as every combo of the included eargels/hooks and couldn't find anything that sat well in my ear without discomfort.

I recently switched over to the Jabra Motion and was pleasantly surprised by the noise cancelation quality outdoors in the wind with cars zooming by. Much better than my old Legend, which I have since sold on CL. The motion is now my daily driver. The volume adjuster (touch sensitive) kind of sucks but I always leave it at max volume anyway and just adjust on my phone so that's not a big deal. I also like that it has a dedicated mute button.

I personally think the Motion is on par with the Whisper even though its a bit bulkier like the Legend. It's comfortable and won't come off of my ear since its an over the ear design.

-Scion

Feedback Score
    Scion676,

Sorry the Whisper didn't work out for you. I got tired of the Jabra eargels and went back to the included gels, which can sometimes cause fatigue, so based on the comments here I'm giving the Motion a try. My first impression is that it is definitely comfortable and maybe better balanced then the Legend - at least it seems to feel more stable without any sense of it being snug. The outbound call quality has me a bit worried. So far, I don't think its on the same level as the Legend or Whisper. At least in a few tests its noise suppression let a lot of background pass through. I'll give it a few days of actual use because I really like the fit and even if it becomes my office headset, I would be happy. I picked it up for $99 with the travel and UC kit, so all in all a pretty good price.

Testing these headsets again has me second guessing which is better, the legend or the whisper. I think I'll declare those two a draw. So far the Motion seems closer to the Bose Series 2.

Feedback Score
    I went back to the Legend....the whisper is a fine unit and does do a little better with noise cancellation but the comfort of the legend for me is superior.

Was able to pick a new legend for $74.00 ....I am glad I went back as it just seems to be a more solid unit.

However I would not say it is a better unit than the whisper it is a better unit for me.

Feedback Score
    Having both the Legend and the Whisper out for a new round of side by side tests to evaluate the new Era, I can say that the Legend has impressed me again. It's basically two years old, but still leads the pack. It does not have all the bells and whistles of the Era, but it does a great job and I've grown to really appreciate the magnetic charging base compared to fumbling with a micro USB.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast