Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED VERSION: Activate a Droid Bionic Jelly Bean on Page Plus w/3g

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score

UPDATED VERSION: Activate a Droid Bionic Jelly Bean on Page Plus w/3g

There are all kinds of "How To's" for getting ICS Bionics activated on Page Plus, but most people starting from Jelly Bean are running into the same problem at activation: "Sorry, this SIM card is not recognized or registered".

Snoop1979 has a fantastic ICS guide here...but Jelly Bean users get stuck at step 3 "OTA Activation". There is something in the Jelly Bean ROM that will not allow us to proceed.

After many hours of frustration, I have now set up 4 Bionics with Page Plus, all starting from stock Jelly Bean... I hope this helps someone else. THIS WILL REQUIRE YOU TO USE CDMA Workshop (or DFS) for two quick changes to the phone provisioning. Please read Snoop1979's guide if you have questions on this.

IMPORTANT: We will be abandoning stock Jelly Bean in favor of Cyanogenmod 10.1.3. If you want to stay on stock, this is not the guide for you.

ALSO IMPORTANT: I have no idea about MMS. I don't use it, and don't plan to...plenty of other ways to send a picture! So if you must have MMS...this is not the guide for you.

ALSO IMPORTANT: This is aimed at people with existing Page Plus accounts who are changing to a Droid Bionic from another phone...the last step will be to do an ESN CHANGE in order to activate the phone.

ALSO IMPORTANT: This guide will require you to have Ubuntu 32 bit OS running on your computer. If you don't know what this is, use Google...find a "live CD" distribution that you can run. Just make sure it is a recent distribution and 32 bit. This is NOT optional. There are Windows methods...again, GOOGLE it.

VERY IMPORTANT: This assumes you are running a fresh install of STOCK Verizon Jelly Bean 4.1.2. If you are not, you must flash back to stock. Google can help you do this.

PREPARATION:

- On the Bionic go to SETTINGS>DEVELOPER OPTIONS and enable "USB DEBUGGING"
    - Boot into BP Tools Mode (hold both volume & power buttons, select "BP Tools")
    - connect USB data cable to Windows PC and open CDMA Workshop
    - click on Port and double click the "Motorola QC Diag Port".
    - click "Connect" and "Read" in the top toolbar.
    - In "Security" tab, click SPC button and "SEND 000000"
    - In "Main" tab choose "CDMA-2" from dropdown (bottom left of Main tab window)
    - Click the small arrow to the right of the "Read" button and choose "Read Current Page Only".
    - Change R-UIM Config value to "NV Only"
    - Click the small arrow to the right of the "write" button and choose "Write Current Page Only".
    - Disconnect and Reboot Phone into BP Tools again
    - Open DFS, select Port and Click SPC to send 000000
    - Open "Programming" tab and then "Data" tab below it.
    - Click "READ"
    - Change "HDR SCP force AT config" dropdown to "RevA_MFPA"
    - Click "WRITE"
    - Disconnect and reboot phone into normal bootup mode.

OK...that takes care of the provisioning. To tell you the truth, I am not certain that it is even necessary...but since I did it on each phone, I have included the steps above. Again, if you have questions consult the original Snoop1979 guide for ICS.

And now, on to getting the phone running!

STEP 1: Download the following files to your phone's micro SD card

Cyanogenmod 10.1.3-RC2 for Targa (Bionic)

Google Apps for Android 4.2.2 (yes, that is the version we will be running)

Safestrap 3.11 for Droid Bionic

STEP 2: ROOTING (credit to this post)

ENTER THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS IN UBUNTU TERMINAL
    a. mkdir /tmp/share
    b. sudo apt-get install samba
    c. sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

ADD THE FOLLOWING SECTION TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TXT FILE YOU JUST OPENED AND SAVE IT
    [share]
    path = /tmp/share
    available = yes
    valid users = guest
    read only = yes
    browsable = yes
    public = yes

ENTER THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS IN UBUNTU TERMINAL
    a. sudo useradd guest -m -G users
    b. sudo passwd guest (ENTER "1234" as your password and confirm)
    c. sudo smbpasswd -a guest (ENTER "1234" and confirm)
    d. sudo restart smbd
    e. cd /tmp/share
    f. wget http://vulnfactory.org/public/motoshare2.tgz
    g. tar xvf motoshare2.tgz
    h. sudo chmod 755 run.sh

- TYPE 'ifconfig" IN UBUNTU TERMINAL AND WRITE DOWN YOUR IP ADDRESS (ex. 192.168.XXX.XXX)

- MAKE SURE BIONIC WIFI IS CONNECTED TO THE SAME NETWORK AS YOUR UBUNTU PC!!

- CONNECT BIONIC TO THE UBUNTU PC WITH STANDARD USB DATA CABLE

- ON THE BIONIC, OPEN THE "FILE MANAGER" APPLICATION and CHOOSE "REMOTE STORAGE"

- ADD THIS INFORMATION TO THE REMOTE STORAGE
    host IP: (ENTER THE IP YOU WROTE DOWN ABOVE!)
    domain name: WORKGROUP (or the name of your existing samba workgroup)
    shared folder: share
    user: guest
    password: 1234

- PRESS "CONNECT" (you must see the contents of the Ubuntu /tmp/share folder on your Bionic!!)

- ON THE UBUNTU PC, ENTER THE FOLLOWING TERMINAL COMMANDS:
    a. cd /tmp/share
    b. sudo ./run.sh

- READ SCREEN INSTRUCTIONS... WHEN PHONE VIBRATES, PRESS ENTER, then ENTER TO REBOOT.

- AFTER PHONE REBOOTS, IT SHOULD BE ROOTED (Check for Superuser App opening w/out errors)

STEP 3. INSTALLING SAFESTRAP 3.11

a- PLACE SD CARD IN PHONE and WAIT FOR IT TO MOUNT
    b- GO TO settings>>security and ENABLE "UNKNOWN SOURCES"...CONFIRM OK
    c- WITH FILE MANAGER, NAVIGATE TO YOUR SD CARD (probably sd-ext or something like that)
    d- INSTALL SAFESTRAP APK
    e- OPEN SAFESTRAP APK
    f- ALLOW ROOT ACCESS (always)
    g- PRESS INSTALL

-Phone will now reboot and install safestrap TWRP recovery.
    -When it reboots, press the "MENU" button prompt on bottom left of screen to enter recovery.

STEP 4. INSTALLING CYANOGENMOD & GAPPS (based on this link)
    a. Click on rom-slot1 to activate it
    b. Follow instructions and create a user partition (I choose 4 GB)
    c. Press "install" and choose the CM 10.1.3 zip file on your sdcard
    d. Press "Add Zip" and choose the Gapps zip file on your sdcard
    e. Press install and wait until finished.
    f. Press Reboot --> System and wait for phone to reboot. It should boot into Cyanogenmod.

IMPORTANT: Many people have had an issue where Wifi will not turn on the first time the system is booted. The workaround is to skip it during setup, go right to settings-wifi and slide the "toggle" at the top left to "ON". IMMEDIATELY, reboot the phone by holding down the power button and selecting "reboot"/OK. If you manage to reboot before the wifi fails to turn on, it will work after the reboot!

STEP 5. CHANGE YOUR ESN! There are many ways to do this, I use this link

STEP 6. REBOOT AND ACTIVATE YOUR BIONIC, and if it does not prompt you for activation, open the dialer and dial *22899. You should hear the familiar activation music.

STEP 7. IMPORTANT: Make a phone call and make sure it is picked up on the other end. Have someone call you and pick up the call. Now shut off wifi and check that 3g connects. Voila.

Seems complicated, but it is really only about 30 minutes of work...well worth it to get a Bionic fully operating on Page Plus!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing your efforts. Maybe now I can get that Bionic out of the drawer.

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your efforts. Maybe now I can get that Bionic out of the drawer.
    Good luck, let me know if you run into any problems...hopefully I didn't skip any steps Also, don't try to skip ahead to CM 10.2... 3G is not working, and there is a serious overheating and battery drain issue.

Also, I should have mentioned that this method DOES preserve the stock rom in a separate boot slot in the Safestrap bootloader... I haven't bothered trying to boot it up, but I presume that once the phone has been activated during CM install, the stock ROM would also work.

Feedback Score
    First, I wanted to thank you for all your efforts. I've spent all week just trying to *follow* your instructions, so I can't imagine the effort it took for you to learn all of that.

I'm about 20 hours deep into trying to make this work. I tried running xubuntu from a Live CD (my first Linux venture), and got errors when trying to install samba, so now I'm trying to install dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04 on my computer at work in an attempt to get past that roadblock.

It's not even kinda worth the effort that it's taking to make this work, but at least I'm learning a lot along the way.

tl;dr: Bionic/PagePlus/JellyBean/Old-Non-Techie-Guy is a bad combination.

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Getting familiar with Linux is always worth the effort FWIW, the system I use is based on Ubuntu 12.04 as well and worked for the rooting process.

As I mentioned, there are Windows guides out there...but I believe they are just using a Linux emulator to do basically the same thing (perhaps with fewer steps?)

Good luck. Once you get samba installed and the Bionic rooted, let me know how the rest of the process works out.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmancine View Post
    Getting familiar with Linux is always worth the effort FWIW, the system I use is based on Ubuntu 12.04 as well and worked for the rooting process.

As I mentioned, there are Windows guides out there...but I believe they are just using a Linux emulator to do basically the same thing (perhaps with fewer steps?)

Good luck. Once you get samba installed and the Bionic rooted, let me know how the rest of the process works out.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I got Ubuntu 12.04 up and running as a dual-boot on my work PC. The rest of it worked from there....except that I ordered the wrong SIM from eBay, so I had to reorder and wait for that to arrive. But, I learned enough that I bought another Bionic, for my wife, and I'm getting her phone set up today. Thanks again for sharing all your efforts!

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    awesome!

Sent from my XT875 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Does this process still require a blank 4G SIM card in the beginning?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unlstorm View Post
    Yes it does. From experience, I can tell you that nothing but a blank Verizon 4G SIM will work with this method. I've tried a used Verizon 4G SIM, a blank 4G non-Verizon SIM from eBay, a blank 3G T-Mobile SIM....so yeah. Save yourself the headaches and spend the $4.95!

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Good question... unlike the ICS process on the stock rom, the Jelly Bean process on CM seems to work independent of the SIM. It nevers asks for one, and doesnt seem to complain if it is taken out. That being said, I have blanks in all my phones, so I cannot confirm that it would work without one. Interestingly, later versions of CM seem to act like stock, and complain that the SIM isnt active... another reason to hold off on trying CM 10.2 for this type of setup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmancine View Post
    Good question... unlike the ICS process on the stock rom, the Jelly Bean process on CM seems to work independent of the SIM. It nevers asks for one, and doesnt seem to complain if it is taken out. That being said, I have blanks in all my phones, so I cannot confirm that it would work without one. Interestingly, later versions of CM seem to act like stock, and complain that the SIM isnt active... another reason to hold off on trying CM 10.2 for this type of setup.

With no SIM in the phone, I get a "Mobile Network Not Available" message when I try to dial activation in CM, and the "A SIM card is needed to operate this phone" message when I try in stock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnson365 View Post
    With no SIM in the phone, I get a "Mobile Network Not Available" message when I try to dial activation in CM, and the "A SIM card is needed to operate this phone" message when I try in stock.
    I already have a Verizon 4g sim card but it was on Verizon 4g LTE and is no longer blank. I'll try the process and see what happens next week unless you guys are sure it won't work.

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnson365 View Post
    Just tested,same result for me.

On another note, I have no 3g in stock rom....not that I care. It works fine in CM.

And as of the 09/13 nightly of CM 10.2, I can confirm that 3g is now working and battery/overheating issue is resolved!

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score

4G SIM Card needed

Quote Originally Posted by unlstorm View Post
    I can confirm that using my old 4G SIM card with this process has worked successfully! Thank you so much for publishing this information! Now running latest Cyanogenmod (9/15/13 nightly build) with working 3G, WIFI, and just got connected to page plus.

Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Glad to hear it!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast