Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: iOS 7 update?

Feedback Score
    I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 on Straight Talk. I got the SIM swap to work after upgrading to iOS 7 an hour ago. I was worried at first, trying it the old way had the settings app crashing out. In the end the trick was to leave the t-mobile SIM in while entering the new network settings in, double click the home button to get to where you switch apps, then swap out the SIM. The settings stayed, I toggled airplane mode, then rebooted the phone and tested. I've only done it once, I just wanted to let people know it can work. I'll post again if I have time to try again later.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulyboy View Post
    With IOS 7 dropping in two days I still haven't found a definitive answer about what might happen if I upgrade my jailbroken iPhone 4S from IOS 6.1 to IOS 7? I know I'll lose the jailbreak, which is fine, but what I'm concerned about is my Straight Talk service. Will it still work after restoring from a backup I'll make before I upgrade? If yes, what about MMS and SMS?
    I think I have your answer, because I just did this exact thing:

I had my iPhone 4S running 6.1.1, jailbroken with lots of goodies on it. I backed up about a thousand times, saved my SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella (to enable me to revert back to 6.1 if I wanted).

I used iTunes to slap iOS 7 right on top of my jailbroken 6.1.1, and it seems to have gone off without a hitch. After restoring my backup, I can confirm that my APN settings (that I had set using the JB tweak EditAPN, allowing access to the Cellular Data Network menu) stayed as they were and did not change--I still have mobile data and MMS works just fine. I expect that once AT&T rolls out carrier updates, I'll have to use the T-Mobile SIM swap as I did before I jailbroke, but until then, it seems to have worked splendidly.

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by androidnewbie2 View Post
    Can't comment on visual voicemail since I never use it I use google voice

Sent with the HoFo App
    Awesome, glad it worked and thanks for the update!

If anyone uses the built in visual voicemail and updates, let me know how it goes if you don't mind. I'll update once I do mine if someone hasn't posted before then.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I did the sim swap again but I was in a hurry and forgot to put 80 behind cingular.com so I thought I would have to redo it but it's working

Phone
    iPhone 5C
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Im using iPhone 4S trying the sim swap method does not work for me. Whenever i take out T-Mobile SIM it closes out of the Cellular data network page and the settings get erased. What other way can I do this?

Feedback Score
    I just updated and did the sim swap on my daughters AT&T locked iPhone 4S. I had to reboot it after removing the unlockit.co.nz profile before it would work for me. It was the same way with that phone on iOS 6.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paulstenger View Post
    I just updated and did the sim swap on my daughters AT&T locked iPhone 4S. I had to reboot it after removing the unlockit.co.nz profile before it would work for me. It was the same way with that phone on iOS 6.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Would you be willing to post instructions on how you did the sim swap on the iPhone 4S? Thanks!

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I've been running the GM for a week no issue even saved my APN. iPhone 4S BYOD AT&T sim.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by androidnewbie2 View Post
    Straight Talk Sara says my Walmart straight talk branded iPhone 5 will not get the iOS 7 update

Hi Androidnewbie2,

Unfortunately, our branded Straight Talk phone software cannot be updated. Updating your phone's software would be a violation of our Terms and Conditions. You may read our Terms and Conditions for further information. If you have further questions, feel free to email us at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com. Thank you.

Sara
    Straight Talk Wireless

Sent with the HoFo App
    LOL, what a bad joke. You should forward that email to ceo@apple.com - the rumor a Straight Talk iPhone could never be updated was insane and I wish I'd seen it before to reassure people - Apple would *never* accept such a condition!

Feedback Score
    I figured it out. If you want to turn on data for a ST sim card (for ioS 7). Just turn on data roaming! NO sim swap needed.

Phone
    iPhone 5C
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firefaux View Post
    I figured it out. If you want to turn on data for a ST sim card (for ioS 7). Just turn on data roaming! NO sim swap needed.
    That doesnt work

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCard82 View Post
    Im using iPhone 4S trying the sim swap method does not work for me. Whenever i take out T-Mobile SIM it closes out of the Cellular data network page and the settings get erased. What other way can I do this?
    This happened to me also, after using the tmoblie sim leave that page open and double click the home page and open another page then put in ur SIM card double click the home and reopen the cellular data page u should be able to edit the setting however getting the att.mvno to stay is a bit tricky. Try watching this:
    http://http://m.youtube.com/results?...?v=xNA0kKsm2xw

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If that link doesn't work search YouTube iOS 7 apn setting for straighttalk mms and data by Lamar Washington it's a 24:29 min video this helped me.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hayburner View Post
    I think I have your answer, because I just did this exact thing:

I had my iPhone 4S running 6.1.1, jailbroken with lots of goodies on it. I backed up about a thousand times, saved my SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella (to enable me to revert back to 6.1 if I wanted).

I used iTunes to slap iOS 7 right on top of my jailbroken 6.1.1, and it seems to have gone off without a hitch. After restoring my backup, I can confirm that my APN settings (that I had set using the JB tweak EditAPN, allowing access to the Cellular Data Network menu) stayed as they were and did not change--I still have mobile data and MMS works just fine. I expect that once AT&T rolls out carrier updates, I'll have to use the T-Mobile SIM swap as I did before I jailbroke, but until then, it seems to have worked splendidly.
    You cannot just restore to iOS 6 because you have the shsh blobs. Since you have the iPhone 4S, you have to have the APTicket, which only apple knows. The replay attack doesn't work after apple closes the APTicket server for that version of iOS.
    I will have questions for you.
    Don't be afraid to ask me questions.

Feedback Score
    NOTE- I did get this to work- you have to switch to another application like "notes" while you have the APN entry page open- then switch sims- let it find service- "HOME" then switch back to the APN entry page and enter the APN. It isn't as quite as easy as it was on IOS 6.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast