Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Thread: ST now supports LTE?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, ST is great until you actually need CS. I've been lucky so far I haven't needed CS. But I still don't have a smart phone. Like to get one during the holidays so I'm reading this thread to see how smooth the LTE thing is going. I'm afraid to buy a 90 day refill because I think another carrier will come out with a better plan and I'll be stuck.

Has someone actually taken a Go Phone Galaxy Express or GS4 and swapped the sim card with the ST LTE sim card and compared the differences in download speed etc.?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by secretasianman3 View Post
    Have you tried changing the APN type? MMS worked perfectly on our Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Express phones after making the necessary changes.

I actually had to do the opposite on my note. When I first switched to the new LTE sim I forgot to remove the APN type setting. Everything else was set to the new correct ST tfdata settings. I could not receive or send any MMS for a day or two. As soon as I removed the APN type settings MMS started working. Weird.

Feedback Score
    I had the opportunity to test my new LTE sim speeds next to a friend with regular ATT service. He has an ATT iphone 5 with postpaid ATT service and I have the original galaxy note i717(ATT's version)on Straight Talk service with new ATT LTE sim. We were sittings next to each other in the same indoor location. We used the speedtest.net app set to the same server. On average our LTE speeds were very close on each test we did. Some tests I would have a slight edge some tests he would have the slight edge but they were all close. We also tried switching our servers and had the same results.

Phone
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Any one having problems getting sites to load? like I do speed test and it says im getting 20mbps but when I load something it will flash the yellow beams on the 4g lte symbol but it wont load sometimes it loads quick other times I got to keep reclicking it to goto that page for it to go but when it finally goes it seems like it starts working. I know my 4g never did this so im wondering if the pings has a play in the issue.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rickneworleans View Post
    I had the opportunity to test my new LTE sim speeds next to a friend with regular ATT service. He has an ATT iphone 5 with postpaid ATT service and I have the original galaxy note i717(ATT's version)on Straight Talk service with new ATT LTE sim. We were sittings next to each other in the same indoor location. We used the speedtest.net app set to the same server. On average our LTE speeds were very close on each test we did. Some tests I would have a slight edge some tests he would have the slight edge but they were all close. We also tried switching our servers and had the same results.
    Thanks! Now I have to decide if I want to leave ST's Verizon coverage. I had AT&T until I got ST four years ago. AT&T has gaps in the coverage. Not just gaps but low signal in many places where Verizon has saturated coverage everywhere. The other day I was in Best Buy asking the mobile salesman about that and he agreed somewhat. He even showed me his AT&T iphone which had only one bar, while my beat up LG290C had five bars. I wish ST would get some better Verizon phones or allow BYOP for any CDMA smartphone.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboykilla View Post
    Any one having problems getting sites to load? like I do speed test and it says im getting 20mbps but when I load something it will flash the yellow beams on the 4g lte symbol but it wont load sometimes it loads quick other times I got to keep reclicking it to goto that page for it to go but when it finally goes it seems like it starts working. I know my 4g never did this so im wondering if the pings has a play in the issue.
    This is most likely the ping. Try doing a speedtest next time it occurs. See how the ping is and you can identify it easily then.

Quote Originally Posted by labjr View Post
    Thanks! Now I have to decide if I want to leave ST's Verizon coverage. I had AT&T until I got ST four years ago. AT&T has gaps in the coverage. Not just gaps but low signal in many places where Verizon has saturated coverage everywhere. The other day I was in Best Buy asking the mobile salesman about that and he agreed somewhat. He even showed me his AT&T iphone which had only one bar, while my beat up LG290C had five bars. I wish ST would get some better Verizon phones or allow BYOP for any CDMA smartphone.
    Some phones can get slightly better reception than others. I've heard that over time that the antenna can weaken in a phone. But, I can't personally attest to that. You can bring any 3G Verizon smartphone to Straight Talk that isn't iPhone or BlackBerry though. If you really want a newer device on Verizon prepaid, then you're best bet is a MVNO like Page Plus or Selectel and having someone experienced flash the phone and disable LTE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    From my experience, I'd say Verizon has superior RF engineering and planning than all other carriers. And they get the money for it. Most people I know with business phones use Verizon. Their stores are busy and they have knowledgeable staff and get you in and out quickly.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You do realize that cell phone stores run femtocells to give the appearance of excellent coverage, right?
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    You do realize that cell phone stores run femtocells to give the appearance of excellent coverage, right?
    Whatever the reason, from what I've experienced, Verizon has the best coverage inside and out, everywhere I've been. In hospitals, subway stations, office buildings.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    Galaxy S4 32GB (ATT / ST)
    Carriers
    Verizon (both, currently)
    Feedback Score
    CDMA tends to be better at object penetration than GSM due to the different frequency range.

In my case, thankfully, the two primary places I am (work and home) end up okay with both Verizon and ATT (there's a tower literally 400yds or less from my house that keeps the signal solid at home).

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Whatever the reason, from what I've experienced, Verizon has the best coverage inside and out, everywhere I've been. In hospitals, subway stations, office buildings.
    I carry around all day my personal ST at&t smartphone and a Verizon Blackberry for the company I work for. I do a lot of traveling between Ohio and Florida and work out of both areas. For me both carriers have very similar coverage but over the last year at&t has been more reliable with better call quality - clarity and fewer dropped calls. Data usage has also been more reliable and faster on at&t.

I think it really depends on where you live, work, shop and places you visit.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    Galaxy S4 32GB (ATT / ST)
    Carriers
    Verizon (both, currently)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wg8dx View Post
    I think it really depends on where you live, work, shop and places you visit.
    Exactly. Every area's is different, and depends on zoning, interference, requirements for each carriers tower, etc, that can throw off one spot for one carrier but another be perfect. Also it may just be a good/poor area for one carrier, and the opposite on the other.

In most major metropolitan area's, minus in the big downtown area's where buildings throw things out of wack, most major carriers are going to be pretty solid. Once you get out of those area's it's all over the place.

Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm using an older ATT sim (bought off of ebay when ST wasn't selling them) on an unlocked Galaxy S2 Skyrocket with the new tfdata APN. I have been using this exact same setup since July.

Just today at work I noticed my 4G icon was lit up with LTE underneath it. The 4G icon is almost always lit up, but the LTE sign underneath it has never indicated LTE availability, even in areas where I KNOW it is available. I did a speed test using the Speedtest app for Android. Ping times were bad ranging from 200-350. Normally on HSPA I get respectable ping times of 100-150. The download speeds; however, were anywhere from 6.0 all the way up to 22 Mbps. (Being inside a building with a lot of machinery, concrete and electrical interference, I am still able to bring in 4-5 bars consistently.) So it seems, unless something changes, that one doesn't need new sims or to change existing APNs to get LTE.

Feedback Score
    Can anyone confirm if they are getting LTE with the new version at&t sim on a Verizon iPhone 5? Cannot seem to get it and I know LTE works in my neighborhood and apartment. Also... with sim swap sometimes I get optional fields that say "LTE (optional)".

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ohboy114nyc View Post
    Can anyone confirm if they are getting LTE with the new version at&t sim on a Verizon iPhone 5? Cannot seem to get it and I know LTE works in my neighborhood and apartment. Also... with sim swap sometimes I get optional fields that say "LTE (optional)".
    iPhone 5 or 5s/5c?

The Verizon iPhone 5 can't get LTE on either AT&T or T-Mobile, while the Verizon 5s/5c have complete support for AT&T and T-Mobile 3G/4G/LTE.
    Past providers: Page Plus, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin, Straight Talk
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast