Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone 'Buy Airtime' page shows 'Tracfone Data Cards Only for Android Phones

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I am considering getting one just to try. I expect the Samsung to be the best of the bunch given the specs I've seen.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD using HoFo mobile app

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    Looks like you can use regular airtime for data if you choose to, albeit at higher rates. The HSN website (see the other thread) says 1MB per unit. A $20 60 unit card would get you 180 minutes OR 180 texts OR 180MB (HSN says all of the above, but we know that's probably incorrect), or you can do the cheaper $10 data only card for 300MB. I am glad you can use regular airtime because I have a lot of minutes built up on my TracFones.

As far as the specs on these phones, yes, very low end. Perfectly acceptable for email, FaceBook, Instagram, weather, internet radio, and web browsing. I doubt anyone is looking to run high res games and large apps on a $100 phone with a small screen. If they are, they are expecting way too much.
    The correct word is AND, not OR. AND, means you get all three. That means lower rates.

TracFone Triple Your Minutes/Texts/Data for Life •Android handsets will be compatible with all current airtime cards, but will have unique Triple minute conversion
    •You do not need to enter any codes to receive this benefit at the time of replenishment
    •For example:
    - 60-minute card automatically triples to 180 minutes, 180 texts and 180MB of data
    - 120-minute card automatically triples to 360 minutes, 360 texts and 360MB of data
    •Three Android-only data cards will be available
    •Data can be added as needed
    •Data will carry over and stack, but there are no service days
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimates View Post
    The correct word is AND, not OR. AND, means you get all three. That means lower rates.

TracFone Triple Your Minutes/Texts/Data for Life •Android handsets will be compatible with all current airtime cards, but will have unique Triple minute conversion
    •You do not need to enter any codes to receive this benefit at the time of replenishment
    •For example:
    - 60-minute card automatically triples to 180 minutes, 180 texts and 180MB of data
    - 120-minute card automatically triples to 360 minutes, 360 texts and 360MB of data
    I agree that the HSN page says "AND" but I don't trust the copywriters at HSN to get things right. We shall see, but I'm skeptical that the Android TracFones will get 180 minutes and 180 texts and 180 MB for $20. It's just too good to be true.
    Last edited by Yeswap; 09-21-2013 at 12:27 AM.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimates View Post

•For example:
    My reading comprehension is fine, thanks. You missed the point completely. As others have said in this thread and the HSN thread, it's a little too good to be true but you never know. That was my point. We'll see.

Sent from my Galaxy Express
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4, & LG L90: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    I don't know if this will help the discussion any, but I just rewatched the broadcast, and both Melissa and Adam said that the "triple triple triple" deal is available only on HSN and only for today, September 21st. Adam said:

I want to stress: this is a U.S. launch. You can't find it anywhere else. This tripling the triple, as it were, is only available through us for our callers today and for tonight.
    So presumably anyone buying the phone elsewhere or at HSN after today will only get triple minutes and not the additional texts and data. I thought this information might help some people to decide whether or not to get the phone from HSN.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Doesn`t HSN have a lenient return policy?

Feedback Score
    I did some quick math, and the triple-triple-triple does seem too good to be true.

A 120 points card would triple to 360 / 360 / 360. 360 minutes, 360 texts, 360 MB.

For comparison, consider treating the current 3G rates like a pool and hypothetically dividing them equally -- in that case, it comes out to 120 / 120 / 120. The minutes are easy: 120. The text rate is (usually) .3 per text, which comes out to around 400 texts -- actually slightly better than under the above formula. But the data rate isn't even close. As best as I know, the data rate for 3G phones on Tracfone is about 15 units / MB. That would come out to a piddly 8 MB.

So with "and," it would be 360 / 360 / 360 on the Androids vs. 120 / 400 / 8 on phones like the 840g and S390g. Pretty massive difference on the data end, almost too much.

On the other hand, If my math is right -- someone correct me if it's not -- even if we treat HSN's numbers as "or" rather than "and" it is a marked improvement in data capacity.

Again, the old rates would be 120 minutes, 400 texts, and 8 MB.

The new rates -- assuming HSN means "or" -- on the Android would, hypthetically, be 120 minutes, 120 texts, and 120 MB. If you're a serious texter this isn't as good a deal for you; if you want more data this is a much better deal than what Tracfone currently offers. And this is the "worst-case" scenario.

Hope that makes sense.

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    They just said that all minutes carried over from your existing phone will triple into minutes, texts and data. Now that I find hard to swallow.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The today only special may be that they are tripling what you carry over.
    Are they crudely trying to explain tripling by breaking it down into three items, talk/text/data.
    Can you trust HSN to explain things correctly?

Feedback Score
    You can find the video on the product page. If you watch it, around the 9-10 minute mark Michelle explicitly states that before you drew from a common pool of units, but now you don't. No mistaking her language there -- clearly she thinks it is three separate pools. Not sure if she's right, of course, but she was pretty clear in her explanation.

Feedback Score
    Here's the way I understand it:

If my LG840G has 1200 minutes, then on the S738C it becomes 1200 minutes / 1200 texts / 1200 MB since the 1200 minutes on the LG840G was already tripled because it was only 400 minutes when bought.

If I buy a 400 min / 1 year card for the S738C, it gets tripled to 1200 minutes / 1200 texts / 1200 MB.
    Cheers!

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I am considering getting one just to try.

Guess I won't be trying one after all.
    Battery in my laptop died last night so there goes the cash for the phone.

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    This is exciting stuff, seems like new phones have been in the works for a bit at Tracfone, so it is nice to find out what's coming out. Hopefully, as others are mentioning, you will get data with airtime cards. That would make it very convenient and reasonable.
    Blogging enthusiast at TracfoneReviewer: A blog with cell phone reviews, money saving tips and Tracfone Promo Codes!

Phone
    LG Enlighten
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You would come out better if you were a new customer just by buying a Prepaid Verizon Wireless smartphone.

I get unlimited talk/text/and 2 GB of Data with Verizon for $60 a month. Verizon even has a $50 unlimited talk/text/and 1 GB of Data pan for $50. These Tracfone android pans seem very expensive.
    I Am Perfection
    -Jarrett178

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrett178 View Post
    You would come out better if you were a new customer just by buying a Prepaid Verizon Wireless smartphone.

I get unlimited talk/text/and 2 GB of Data with Verizon for $60 a month. Verizon even has a $50 unlimited talk/text/and 1 GB of Data pan for $50. These Tracfone android pans seem very expensive.
    Which is a better deal, the buffet or ordering off the menu? It depends on how much you eat.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast