Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: 6 GB/$30 - What's so special about it?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    26
    Device(s)
    T68i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0

    6 GB/$30 - What's so special about it?

    I've got the $30/6 GB plan that everyone, everywhere is always saying they are holding on to for dear life, only willing to give it up when Rogers claws it from their cold, dead hands. Thing is, I'm not clear on why this is such a wonderful thing that I have, and would love to hear from people why it's something that I shouldn't give up. My wife got an LTE iPad Mini recently and I was annoyed when Rogers told me the 6 GB plan I had wasn't 'shareable', so I had to get her a SIM of her own and a separate plan. They offered to change me to a 'shareable' plan but I refused because of all the times I've read that no one must ever give up the $30/6 GB plan. So, in brief: why is that plan so good and is it better than anything retentions will give me now?

    I'm also at the end of a hardware and data plan contract term that I got with an iPhone 4, and retentions told me I could keep my existing plan, or they could switch me to a $30/6 GB plan that was 'shareable'. I am considering a HUP to the 5s when it is available but don't have a clue if I should stick with my current plan, agree to change to a different plan if it offers the same stuff or just change the data portion of the plan to a shareable one and leave the rest alone. For instance, can I keep my existing plan and still get LTE speeds on the new handset or are these things unrelated?

    Here's my current plan:

    Unlimited Voice Plan 35.00
    100 Anytime Canadian LD Mins 5.00
    Savings: 100 Canadian Anytime LD Mins -5.00
    Value Pack* 10.00
    6GB Data Service Plan 30.00
    Gov't Regulatory Recovery Fee 2.13
    Call Forwarding/Call Transfer 3.00
    Savings: Call Forwarding/ Call Transfer -3.00
    .............
    Total before taxes: $77.13

    Is this good? Can I get something better still? I use a lot of voice minutes (1500-2000 per month), so the unlimited calling is essential. I don't use the 6 GB of data but I might if I could share it with one or two other devices.

    Thanks in advance,

    JS

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Burl-Oak, Port Credit, ON
    Posts
    1,064
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note (ICS 4.0.4)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless Ontario |
    Feedback Score
    0
    1 They lied to you. 6gb is shareable. I'm sharing it with iPad mini.
    2 data is gravy for telecoms. Most used function, I doubt 6gb will ever show up for $30
    3 decent plan, id keep it



    Sent with via mobile

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cowichan, B.C.
    Posts
    669
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you were to go and get a new plan with the same features you'd be looking at $120 minimum (although you would have unlimited can. LD) and with the tablet you'd be at $130. So that's why people want to keep it.

    Sent with the HoFo App

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,896
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Torch
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Homicide View Post
    1 They lied to you. 6gb is shareable. I'm sharing it with iPad mini.
    2 data is gravy for telecoms. Most used function, I doubt 6gb will ever show up for $30
    3 decent plan, id keep it



    Sent with via mobile
    There are old versions of the 6gb plan that aren't shareable and I have one of those versions. They offered to switch my 6gb to the shareable version, but my $5 discount would fall off. I declined.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

    My New Rogers Plan
    - $35 Unlimited Local Calling Plan
    - $30 6GB Data
    - $10 Retention Value Pack - Free (2500 texts, CID, VM)
    - 100 mins LD - Free
    - $67 + tax

    Bite me Telus.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    126
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joop88 View Post
    There are old versions of the 6gb plan that aren't shareable and I have one of those versions. They offered to switch my 6gb to the shareable version, but my $5 discount would fall off. I declined.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I taked to customer Relations I got back my 6gb 30$ added back on, no problems at all to get it . I was on the Flex rate data before.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Burl-Oak, Port Credit, ON
    Posts
    1,064
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note (ICS 4.0.4)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless Ontario |
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joop88 View Post
    There are old versions of the 6gb plan that aren't shareable and I have one of those versions. They offered to switch my 6gb to the shareable version, but my $5 discount would fall off. I declined.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I believe it's a tactic to strip off your data credit. I have an old 6gb data as well and all they did was add an extra code to make it shareable.


    Sent with via mobile

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,896
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Torch
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Homicide View Post
    I believe it's a tactic to strip off your data credit. I have an old 6gb data as well and all they did was add an extra code to make it shareable.


    Sent with via mobile
    I do have a Blackberry data plan on my account, that may be the difference.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    26
    Device(s)
    T68i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Homicide View Post
    1 They lied to you. 6gb is shareable. I'm sharing it with iPad mini.
    2 data is gravy for telecoms. Most used function, I doubt 6gb will ever show up for $30
    3 decent plan, id keep it

    Sent with via mobile
    Well, they seem determined to drive me away... an update on the story:

    I bought an unlocked iPhone 5S and two Rogers reps suggested the best thing to do was just use the My Rogers site to change SIM cards. I did that yesterday, put the new LTE nanoSIM into the 5S and everything was fine. Calls in and out plus data were fine. I didn't see "LTE" but only "3G" on the phone but suspected it might be my location rather than anything else.

    Today I've noticed that incoming voice calls do not go to voicemail, they just ring endlessly. Also, I use the Rogers One Number app and incoming calls were not ringing in it ever. I could still dial out with it, and I could still login to voicemail and hear my old messages.

    I spoke to Customer Service, then Customer Care, and then finally Customer Relations. None could explain why voicemail was broken and their suggestion to remove and re-add voicemail wasn't a possibility since the SOC for my value pack wasn't addable anymore. If they'd deleted it they couldn't have put it back on. Of course, they were eager as anything to offer me other plans to switch to. The Customer Relations person liked my idea of trying to switch back to the microSIM so I did that using the Rogers website again. I even put it back into the iPhone 4 I was using before the changeover. No dice... exactly the same symptoms.

    While talking to him, however, he offered to switch me to the following plan:

    Unlimited Canada-wide calling
    Unlimited text, MMS, video messaging
    6 GB data, shareable and LTE, tethering included
    Call/Name display, Visual Voicemail, Unlimited international text, preferred rate LD (he claimed the rates were $0.10 to anywhere)

    Price: $85 for the base plan, plus $6.99 for the value pack with voicemail and text features
    Discount: $15 per month guaranteed for 2 years
    Total: $76.99

    This compares well with my current plan, and adds Canada-wide (instead of local) unlimited, unlimited text (vs 2500), international text (I pay for each one now), data that is shareable, and Visual Voicemail.

    Any opinions on whether I should take this new plan? I realize that because it's a bundled plan I couldn't reduce to a low per-month minutes plan and keep 6 GB in the future but I use a ton of voice and that's not likely to change.

    TIA for your thoughts...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    26
    Device(s)
    T68i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Nobody have any opinion on the new package they offered me?

    JS

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Home of 2010 Olympics
    Posts
    307
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    If it is comparable to what you have now except cheaper, I would go for it.
    It looks comparable to what I was being offered the last couple of months. I was offered the same plan for $70 plus tax.
    However, if you still have time on your side I would keep calling retentions to get what you want exactly.
    With regards to the LTE, it is dependent on your phone which is LTE capable and the NANO sim card. I know that it switches back and forth when I look at my iphone 5S.
    Definitely, keep your 6 gigs. I was off for a majority of Dec and didn't think I was using my iphone any more than I normally did and I received a text this morning saying that I hit 80% ( 5 gigs ) of my allowable data.
    Fuelled by rice

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jonassimpson View Post
    Well, they seem determined to drive me away... an update on the story:

    I bought an unlocked iPhone 5S and two Rogers reps suggested the best thing to do was just use the My Rogers site to change SIM cards. I did that yesterday, put the new LTE nanoSIM into the 5S and everything was fine. Calls in and out plus data were fine. I didn't see "LTE" but only "3G" on the phone but suspected it might be my location rather than anything else.

    Today I've noticed that incoming voice calls do not go to voicemail, they just ring endlessly. Also, I use the Rogers One Number app and incoming calls were not ringing in it ever. I could still dial out with it, and I could still login to voicemail and hear my old messages.

    I spoke to Customer Service, then Customer Care, and then finally Customer Relations. None could explain why voicemail was broken and their suggestion to remove and re-add voicemail wasn't a possibility since the SOC for my value pack wasn't addable anymore. If they'd deleted it they couldn't have put it back on. Of course, they were eager as anything to offer me other plans to switch to. The Customer Relations person liked my idea of trying to switch back to the microSIM so I did that using the Rogers website again. I even put it back into the iPhone 4 I was using before the changeover. No dice... exactly the same symptoms.

    While talking to him, however, he offered to switch me to the following plan:

    Unlimited Canada-wide calling
    Unlimited text, MMS, video messaging
    6 GB data, shareable and LTE, tethering included
    Call/Name display, Visual Voicemail, Unlimited international text, preferred rate LD (he claimed the rates were $0.10 to anywhere)

    Price: $85 for the base plan, plus $6.99 for the value pack with voicemail and text features
    Discount: $15 per month guaranteed for 2 years
    Total: $76.99

    This compares well with my current plan, and adds Canada-wide (instead of local) unlimited, unlimited text (vs 2500), international text (I pay for each one now), data that is shareable, and Visual Voicemail.

    Any opinions on whether I should take this new plan? I realize that because it's a bundled plan I couldn't reduce to a low per-month minutes plan and keep 6 GB in the future but I use a ton of voice and that's not likely to change.

    TIA for your thoughts...


    This is not bad as long as the credits remain. I have a similar plan but with unlimited north american + 5GB data for $70 + tax. I replaced my 6GB plan with my current plan. Only lost 1 GB of data but gained unlimited north american (saves me from having to use magic jack, which I hate using)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    20
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Compared to what you had, its pretty much the same, if not a better plan
    Just make sure your not paying that gov. fee, have them credit you back that fee indefinitely if still on your bill.
    You are still paying in my opinion 15$ too much, try to get Retentions to further credit you the account.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hi my 6 GB plan finishes end of Dec, but I have cancelled a value pack, which was 14.00. I have a unlocked BB Z30 and just want to continue monthly the plan with 300 minutes and My10 with unlimited texting. Will they try and move me to higher costs I would like to keep it at 50+ taxes

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Home of 2010 Olympics
    Posts
    307
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you go month to month, any credits that you had on your account will expire.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well I just got confirmation that when I cancel the value pack my plan cost will stay at 60+taxes, if I want I can over to Koodo bring my phone I could get 1 gb unlimited everything,call display,voicemail with 10% off bill which would be 54 +taxes. Just got to keep an eye on data over the next few months to see how much I use and may switch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's so special about vtext?
    By disquiddity in forum ringtone/wallpaper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2005, 03:37 PM
  2. what's so special about nokia 6682?
    By ero2 in forum Symbian/S60
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 12:57 AM
  3. What's so special about the S710a?
    By mobilehavoc in forum AT&T
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 03:37 PM
  4. What's so specially about the 6600 MMS???
    By marwan74 in forum Symbian/S60
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 10:24 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 08:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks