Thread: Iphone 4S factory unlocked, iOS 7-- how to get it to work.

Feedback Score

Iphone 4S factory unlocked, iOS 7-- how to get it to work.

Would like some help- I guess I made the mistake of updating to iOS 7. I've seen threads on how to set the APN, along with threads on using T-mobile sim trick.

What's not clear is, do I need to do all that with a factory unlocked phone? So, ST used to work on my iphone then I was in Canada. I'm back now & re-activated my ST sim and was surprised I couldn't simply get it to work (didn't think updating to iOS would make a problem).

I've tried unlockit.co.nz site & tried both new & old St profiles (not sure difference). also ensured I reset network settings & turned phone on & off.

Can you not get ST to work on iOS 7 without buying a T-mobile sim & doing the tricky thing?

I find it frustrating that with a factory unlocked phone, i cannot simply insert a SIM & be on my way...also frustrated that I can't simply restore back to iOS6...i just want a phone to work..i can't make calls or even sms at the moment...

If anyone can help, let me know. thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tsttm View Post
    Would like some help- I guess I made the mistake of updating to iOS 7. I've seen threads on how to set the APN, along with threads on using T-mobile sim trick.

What's not clear is, do I need to do all that with a factory unlocked phone? So, ST used to work on my iphone then I was in Canada. I'm back now & re-activated my ST sim and was surprised I couldn't simply get it to work (didn't think updating to iOS would make a problem).

I've tried unlockit.co.nz site & tried both new & old St profiles (not sure difference). also ensured I reset network settings & turned phone on & off.

Can you not get ST to work on iOS 7 without buying a T-mobile sim & doing the tricky thing?

I find it frustrating that with a factory unlocked phone, i cannot simply insert a SIM & be on my way...also frustrated that I can't simply restore back to iOS6...i just want a phone to work..i can't make calls or even sms at the moment...

If anyone can help, let me know. thank you.
    You must have a bad sim , an unlocked phone should be working fine on ST.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using HowardForums

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Unlocking of the telephone has no effect upon whether you can access the cellular data network settings. Whether you can access the settings is determined by the carrier profile loaded when you insert a SIM card. An AT&T SIM card from Straight Talk is recognized as an authentic AT&T SIM card and the settings are blocked.
    Last edited by efparri; 09-23-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I wrote a section in the FAQ sticky on this very topic. I'm not sure why the unlockit.co.nz profiles are not working, but I hope this helps:

[17]: How can I bring my own iPhone to Straight Talk?

Special Thanks to hayburner for writing this section of the FAQ!

Buy an AT&T SIM from Straight Talk's web-site or from Wal-Mart or WalMart.com and install it in your iPhone. To get data and MMS working follow these instructions:

The Basics on APN Settings

Any smartphone needs two sets of information in order to (1) use cellular data and (2) use MMS (ie, send pictures in text to non-iPhones or send texts to email addresses).

Because of some random settings dictated by some combination of the Straight Talk AT&T SIM and the iPhone, the defaults for these two sets of information is completely and utterly wrong.

On Android phones, you can simply go into the APN settings and change both of these sets of information, so one doesn't have much trouble.

On an iPhone, things get much more complicated, because by default, the combination of the Straight Talk AT&T SIM and the iPhone does not let you edit these settings.

Known workarounds to edit APN settings on iPhones

1. You can download an APN profile from a site like unlockit.co.nz (visit this link on your mobile device, select Straight Talk, and download profile). This only gives you one set of information, number (1) above. It's not clear why these sorts of APN profiles are unable to set the APNs needed for sending/receiving MMS.
    2. You can do the T-Mobile SIM swap, where the presence of a T-Mobile SIM allows you to put in the correct settings to General->Cellular->Cellular Data Network. This gives you both sets of information because you are actually typing in the settings under both headings (Cellular Data and MMS). These first two workarounds do not require your phone to be jailbroken.
      1. For Straight Talk AT&T SIMs, iPhone 4S/5 can be factory unlocked or locked to AT&T. I believe iPhone 4 must be unlocked. For Straight Talk T-Mobile SIMs, iPhone 4/4S/5 should be unlocked.
      2. You need a T-Mobile prepaid SIM (ask a friend, or get one here).
      3. Remove any APN profile you may have downloaded.
      4. General->Reset->Reset Network Settings.
      5. Quit out of all running apps except Notes.
      6. Go to General->Cellular on the iPhone. Make sure Cellular Data button is set to ON.
      7. Open the SIM tray and swap in prepaid T-Mobile SIM.
      8. Give it a moment to activate (it will boot you back to General) and then in General->Cellular, a menu called Cellular Data Network will appear (it is located below "Data Roaming" and above the "Set Up Personal Hotspot"). Quickly click into the menu option and you will notice that all the cellular setting fields are blank.
      9. Once you get into the Cellular Data Network menu (bunch of blank fields), double-tap the home button to invoke multitasking and switch to the Notes app.
      10. While in Notes, swap out the T-Mobile SIM and place in the ST SIM. Wait in the Notes app until "HOME" appears in the upper left. It will start with AT&T, and then finally switch back to HOME. This may take a little while.
      11. Double-tap the home button again to invoke multitasking and switch back to the Settings app. You should still be in the Cellular Data Network menu.
      12. The ST SIM will have put info in many of the empty fields ("phone"). Replace these entries with the "New" settings below, or the T-Mobile settings if you are using a T-Mobile SIM.
      13. Once confirmed, exit the cellular data menu by hitting the upper left button (says Cellular). DO NOT click Reset Settings. The Cellular Data Network menu option will have vanished from General->Cellular.
      14. If correct, it should start working right away, but give your phone a reboot to make sure.
      15. Test cellular data and MMS. Cellular data should be self-explanatory, but test MMS by sending a text message directly to an email address. This works, and should confirm that your MMS is functional.
      16. If it does not work, return to step 3, entering the "Old" APN settings in step 4. One of these two should work, unless you actually have a Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM, in which case your APN settings should be the ones on the bottom.
      17. SIM swap explanatory video
    3. If your phone is jailbroken, you are on easy street. By jailbreaking, you can use tweaks (TetherMe or EditAPN or others) to gain access to the General->Cellular->Cellular Data Network menu and then edit the APN settings to whatever you wish. This, again, gives you both sets of information because you are actually typing the settings in.
      1. Remove any APN profile you may have downloaded.
      2. Remove any settings that may or may not be in Settings->TetherMe (I'm not sure what these would be, if anything).
      3. General->Reset->Reset Network Settings.
      4. Go into General->Cellular->Cellular Data Network and enter the "New" APN settings below.
      5. If correct, it should start working right away, but give your phone a reboot to make sure.
      6. Test cellular data and MMS. Cellular data should be self-explanatory, but test MMS by sending a text message directly to an email address. This works, and should confirm that your MMS is functional.
      7. If it does not work, return to step 2, entering the "Old" APN settings in step 4. One of these two should work, unless you actually have a Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM, in which case your APN settings should be the ones on the bottom.

You should only need to do one of the above steps. If you do more than one, the settings given could conflict, and it's hard in that case to tell which settings it's using and therefore what's causing the problem. The Straight Talk Wiki has seen better days and the page describing this information pertaining to iPhones has been deleted, but you can find it in an internet archive here if you need more information

New ST AT&T APN Settings

Cellular Data
    APN: tfdata
    Username:
    Password:

MMS
    APN: tfdata
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Old ST AT&T APN Settings

Cellular Data
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:

MMS
    APN: att.mvno
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
    MMS Max Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

ST T-Mobile APN Settings

Cellular Data
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Username:
    Password:

MMS
    APN: wap.tracfone
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: http://mms.tracfone.com
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.40:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: 1048576
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf[/QUOTE]

Feedback Score
    perhaps my lack of technical knowledge..but it wasn't clear to me exactly what you are saying (yes it should work or no it shouldn't work?- a response to me or to clockwiseinc above?). In any case, SaraST, ST rep has offered to help me by emailing the ST resolution team. I'll see what happens..any other info that could perhaps resolved this appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Unlocking of the telephone has no effect upon whether you can access the cellular data network settings. Whether you can access the settings are determined by the carrier profile loaded when you insert a SIM card. An AT&T SIM card from Straight Talk is recognized as an authentic AT&T SIM card and the settings are blocked.

Feedback Score
    maybe i can get a straight answer to this at least: am I correct in trying to set the APN settings by utilizing unlockit.co.nz? Do I need to set the APN or should it just recognize & set itself autmmatically? Are there other ways/suggestions to set the apn?

again, I have a factory unlocked iphone 4s (running ios 7 now). Thanks.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You have to select the correct APN settings from the choices offered by the website. When you download those settings, it does the same thing as the iPhone Configuration Utility. That utility will not set the iPhone up for MMS either. I have an unlocked iPhone 4S which I unlocked when I upgraded to the iPhone 5. I bought a pair of Simple Mobile (T-Mobile) SIM cards for $0.99. I was able to reveal the cellular data settings when I put one of those SIM cards into the iPhone 4S both before and after updating to iOS 7. I had no need to change settings because I had no account with a carrier which required it. I did not check whether the settings would stick after I took out the Simple Mobile SIM card. I put the deactivated AT&T SIM card back into the iPhone because I got tired of seeing a voicemail notification from T-Mobile every time I turned on the telephone. I had no active service so I could not turn off the notification.
    Last edited by efparri; 09-23-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    maybe i can get a straight answer to this at least: am I correct in trying to set the APN settings by utilizing unlockit.co.nz? Do I need to set the APN or should it just recognize & set itself autmmatically?
    It really seems like all of these questions are answered in the explanation I just posted.

Any smartphone needs two sets of information in order to (1) use cellular data and (2) use MMS (ie, send pictures in text to non-iPhones or send texts to email addresses).

Because of some random settings dictated by some combination of the Straight Talk AT&T SIM and the iPhone, the defaults for these two sets of information is completely and utterly wrong.

Meaning, when you put in the Straight Talk AT&T SIM, the APN settings are incorrect, and you must find a way to change them to use data and MMS. By default, the combination of the Straight Talk AT&T SIM and the iPhone does not let you edit these settings.

For data, yes, the APN profile downloaded at unlockit.co.nz should work. If it doesn't work, it means that something is likely wrong with your SIM card or your activation status.

Are there other ways/suggestions to set the apn?

again, I have a factory unlocked iphone 4s (running ios 7 now). Thanks.
    There are three main workarounds to set APN settings, all of which you must do with any version of iPhone (locked, unlocked, any OS version). These are detailed more in the FAQ and above.

1. You can download an APN profile from a site like unlockit.co.nz (visit this link on your mobile device, select Straight Talk, and download profile). This only gives you one set of information, number (1) above. It's not clear why these sorts of APN profiles are unable to set the APNs needed for sending/receiving MMS.
    2. You can do the T-Mobile SIM swap, where the presence of a T-Mobile SIM allows you to put in the correct settings to General->Cellular->Cellular Data Network. This gives you both sets of information because you are actually typing in the settings under both headings (Cellular Data and MMS). These first two workarounds do not require your phone to be jailbroken.
    3. If your phone is jailbroken, you are on easy street. By jailbreaking, you can use tweaks (TetherMe or EditAPN or others) to gain access to the General->Cellular->Cellular Data Network menu and then edit the APN settings to whatever you wish. This, again, gives you both sets of information because you are actually typing the settings in.

Feedback Score
    Ok- thanks for all your help. It turns out it was something on the ST side afterall. At first they said everything looked fine..then they did some 'updates' and now my sim works (after their updates, I went back for APN profile from unlockit.co.nz- and now it works).

I was going crazy..restored my phone from icloud backups & everything. If i find out what 'updates' they did, i will let you know, for future information. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Hayburner, I got MMS working now !!!!!! using the tmobile sim method.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Getting ready to port my soon to be unlocked iPhone 4S to straight talk.

Sent with the HoFo App
    trying to come up with better signature.......