Thread: Existing Straight Talk customer about to swap with BYOP but I have questions

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Samsung Galaxy S III SGS3 4G LTE AT&T I-747
    HTC Vivid AT&T 4G LTE
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Existing Straight Talk customer about to swap with BYOP but I have questions

I'm an existing ST customer but I just bought an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 to bring over to ST (switching out completely the phone I have w/ ST now). I know I need to buy the AT&T SIM card from ST but (1) can I keep my existing ST number since I'm replacing the ST branded phone I use currently (2) I'm setup for auto-pay... how will that work out as far as having/not having to buy an unlimited data plan card through ST - will I have to purchase one and/or will it just work itself out since it's tied to the phone number (assuming *hoping* that I can keep the number)?
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Happy Friday everyone!

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC Vivid AT&T 4G LTE
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

Just received this from ST:
    I am Sara with Straight Talk Wireless. I have noticed your post and I would like to help you. Yes, you can keep your existing phone number to the new phone. The auto refill will be de-enrolled from the old phone and you need to re-enroll it to your new one for the minutes to renew automatically. If there are remaining minutes and service days from the old phone, there is no need for you to purchase a service card to get the phone activated.

For further assistance, email us at ST (dot) CorpResolutionTeam (at) straighttalk (dot) com with your phone number and serial number. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    I just did what you want to do and I wasn't de-enrolled from auto pay. I used the web and signed into my account, I clicked "activate phone or sim card" in my account, then choose "transfer existing straight talk service". It took less than 1 hour.

It now shows my old phone(as deactivated) and my new sim phone in my account. By the way the APN settings I got at the time were wrong but I think they fixed that.

Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingyooper View Post
    I just did what you want to do and I wasn't de-enrolled from auto pay. I used the web and signed into my account, I clicked "activate phone or sim card" in my account, then choose "transfer existing straight talk service". It took less than 1 hour.

It now shows my old phone(as deactivated) and my new sim phone in my account. By the way the APN settings I got at the time were wrong but I think they fixed that.
    What he said. I did the same thing online, it was quick and painless. Didn't have to mess with autopay, it just picked up and charged on the next expiration date. YMMV

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, its a simple process. All it does it transfer your service from your branded device to the sim. Number, account and auto pay, etc. Takes less than a minute.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC Vivid AT&T 4G LTE
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thank you all for your help. I just received the sim (excessively packaged! haha) from ST. Will start the process in a few mins and post my results. Thanks again -- reputation points added

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC Vivid AT&T 4G LTE
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Ugghh... I've run into a problem straight out of the gate: When I log into my account which my current phone is enrolled through for auto-pay, and go to "Transfer my ST service", the other phones on my account show up but not my current phone/phone number that I want to switch this sucks
    Also, any tips on how to transfer/make sure all my contacts are on my SD card (I have a ST Samsung Galaxy Proclaim right now)?
    Last edited by ManciniFitch; 10-03-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: additional questions and details

Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The Proclaim is an Android phone, all your contact information is saved in your Google account. When you login to your Gmail account on your new phone it will all be there.

The porting problem sounds strange. Can you see that phone number in your account when you first login before you start trying to activate the new sim?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC Vivid AT&T 4G LTE
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thanks.
    No, my phone/phone number aren't anywhere on my account (except for when auto-pay is billed haha). I'm emailing back and forth with ST trying to resolve this...

Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ManciniFitch View Post
    Thanks.
    No, my phone/phone number aren't anywhere on my account (except for when auto-pay is billed haha). I'm emailing back and forth with ST trying to resolve this...
    Try going on the ST site to login, but instead of inputting your email address click on the link right below that says Forgot Email. This should take you to a screen that allows you to type in the phone number and should send you the login of the account it's tied to.

Also search around to see of you can find the Tracfone Miami support number. They should be able to resolve your problem a lot quicker than the regular support number.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC Vivid AT&T 4G LTE
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all your help, oldnoob. I did try the "Forgot email" link but it wouldn't take anything I entered as valid. I know their site gets wonky sometimes but... wow. Anyway, I gave them the serial # off the SIM card kit they sent to me, answered a few security questions and boom! they're transferring it all over to the same account that it's billed out of and activating my service to my new phone. I will say that I got a kick out of, "It (the activation) should take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. In some cases it may take as long as 24 hours." Pffff!

Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Glad everything is working out for you! When I switched sims voice started working within minutes, then data, but mms didn't work until the next day.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC Vivid AT&T 4G LTE
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I have to be honest: It feels really good to have solid support & searchable knowledge from experienced users on HoFo. It's made a huge difference in my leap from a ST branded Galaxy Proclaim to the S3... and that's quite the leap. I can't wait to dig into it and get it all set up!
    [insert phone elation & complete nerding out over here]