Thread: ?? refurbished Walmart Iphone 5 w/Straight Talk

Feedback Score

?? refurbished Walmart Iphone 5 w/Straight Talk

Hi- can someone please help answer my question?
    I see that Walmart has the Iphone 5 for $450. I called ST and they said it would operate on Verizons CDMA system and have LTE if its available in my area. I get terrible service where I live unless I use a range extender, I have Verizon now w/ dumb phones. AT&T is better service where I live. If I get the ST Iphones from ST can they be used on GSM AT&T network? What would I have to do to Switch from ST to AT&T, Gophone, Solavei or whoever? My question is can the Iphone be used on both the GSM or CDMA? I called ST and they also said once it's activated on Verizon (cdma) it can't be used on AT&T (gsm). Will ST unlock these phones or can Apple?
    Sorry for the long post, but I'm tired of all the Verizon BS with contracts and all.
    Thanks Dan
    Ortonville, MI

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buckdog View Post
    I see that Walmart has the Iphone 5 for $450. I called ST and they said it would operate on Verizons CDMA system and have LTE if its available in my area. I get terrible service where I live unless I use a range extender, I have Verizon now w/ dumb phones. AT&T is better service where I live. If I get the ST Iphones from ST can they be used on GSM AT&T network? What would I have to do to Switch from ST to AT&T, Gophone, Solavei or whoever? My question is can the Iphone be used on both the GSM or CDMA? I called ST and they also said once it's activated on Verizon (cdma) it can't be used on AT&T (gsm). Will ST unlock these phones or can Apple?
    Sorry for the long post, but I'm tired of all the Verizon BS with contracts and all.
    Thanks Dan
    Ortonville, MI
    They gave you wrong info on two fronts:

1) it will run on the CDMA but not LTE (yet) -- it is "rumored" to be coming soon, but hasn't dropped yet.
    2) The phone will work on any GSM carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) even though ST will tell you it won't. Keep in mind though that the Verizon iPhone 5 (that ST is selling) doesn't have the right bands to get LTE on T-Mobile or AT&T (you will get HSPA+ but can't get LTE on it).

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your quick response. What does "but not LTE (yet)" mean? Will something change to enable it? Or is it permanently disabled?
    So is this the best Iphone deal or where do people get these? I kinda like if I don't like the thing I can return it to Walmart.

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your quick response. What does "but not LTE (yet)" mean? Will something change to enable it? Or is it permanently disabled?
    So is this the best Iphone deal or where do people get these? I kinda like if I don't like the thing I can return it to Walmart.
    It's not "disabled" per se but ST simply doesn't offer LTE sim cards for the Verizon phones yet (which are required to "enable" LTE) -- the "rumor" is that they will be offering these very "soon" (yes, lots of quotes in this reply, I know) to owners of the ST iPhone 5 and possibly with a new Galaxy S III model they will be releasing soon as well.

Once this happens, putting the Verizon LTE sim in the iPhone 5 should enable the LTE service.

The best place to get it, in my opinion, is to buy it directly from Straight Talk and use a cash back site (I recommend BeFrugal -- see my link below) which means you will get the phone + 1 month card for $445 + tax but you will get 22% cash back. So this way (after the cash back -- which takes 3 months to "lock" to make sure you don't return the phone AND assuming you have 8% tax) your total for the phone AND first month service nets out to approximately $382.70 vs. $480.47 at Walmart (assuming the same tax).

Once you click the link below, just make an account, login, search for "straight talk", click through the cashback link on befrugal and then when the new straight talk window opens, just make sure you stay in that window (and I would close all other windows / browsers during it too) and purchase the phone / card and you should be good to go!

http://www.befrugal.com/cashback/?ref=AVWFFSL

(Disclosure: If you sign up after clicking the link below it does give me a $5 bonus if you make a purchase) -- once you sign up

Feedback Score
    So- Sara wrote me this.... is she just sayin this and lying about no LTE. I called them and they told me that their phones on CDMA (verizon) support LTE. I'm confused? BTW- I know you can't run GSM and CDMA at the same time, that wasn't my question. It was can Iphone 5, use either or?

"Hi Dan,

Our branded iPhone 5 does not support LTE service. As of now we only offer LTE to our BYOP customer's with AT&T compatible devices. You cannot use it it for both CDMA and GSM at the same time, since it has been branded and modified to our service and we can't unlock it.

Feel free to email us at ...

Sara "

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So- Sara wrote me this.... is she just sayin this and lying about no LTE. I called them and they told me that their phones on CDMA (verizon) support LTE. I'm confused? BTW- I know you can't run GSM and CDMA at the same time, that wasn't my question. It was can Iphone 5, use either or?

"Hi Dan,

Our branded iPhone 5 does not support LTE service. As of now we only offer LTE to our BYOP customer's with AT&T compatible devices. You cannot use it it for both CDMA and GSM at the same time, since it has been branded and modified to our service and we can't unlock it.

Feel free to email us at ...

Sara "

She's correct that they don't offer LTE yet. She's correct that you can't use CDMA and GSM as the same time
    Of course. But if it is implying that GSM sims won't work in the ST iPhone, that's incorrect. The official ST script is that they won't unlock them and cannot be unlocked but that's not accurate. ST version is a rebranded Verizon iPhone with the TFW carrier bundle defaulted and all Verizon iPhones are GSM unlocked.

Feedback Score
    Anyone else wonder if the blow out prices on the refurbed Iphone 5 is because LTE is coming for ST verizon but not for the ST Iphone?

Or that ST Verizon is NOT going to get LTE so ST is going to sell the new Iphones for ATT and/or Tmobile sims?

It doesn't make any sense to me at all that the Iphone 5 is being sold off this cheap and will get LTE in the future.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingyooper View Post
    Anyone else wonder if the blow out prices on the refurbed Iphone 5 is because LTE is coming for ST verizon but not for the ST Iphone?

Or that ST Verizon is NOT going to get LTE so ST is going to sell the new Iphones for ATT and/or Tmobile sims?

It doesn't make any sense to me at all that the Iphone 5 is being sold off this cheap and will get LTE in the future.
    Straight Talk could be doing this so Verizon could meet its iPhone sales quota...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...r-iphones.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Feedback Score

there not selling like they should. when the iphone 5s and 5c came out it was a big hit. why would anyone want a straight talk iphone
    that has LTE disabled and can only get 3G

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Well the "universal" price drop on the 5 was to $549.99 new on almost all carriers. $150 off for refurb seems about right when coupled with the reasons listed above: slower sales and the new models being out. I think full price iPhone sales on a prepaid carrier are probably a tough sell so the $400 price makes it much more palatable (same as the g3 with LTE on ST now though the rumored ST Verizon version is supposed to come in closer to $450)

As I posted yesterday in the LTE thread, as of yesterday LTE for the ST iPhone 5 is still confirmed to be a go sometime "soon" (going to work on confirming a launch date later today if I get a chance but my initial guess is it will be right around the target ST Verizon GSIII ship date of 10/2)

Feedback Score
    Who is going to reprogram your ST Iphone 5 to use LTE? My understanding was the phone has to be reflashed to use verizon LTE and can't use any GSM LTE carrier.

I would seem to me that if Verizon were going to make a huge change in its strategy and provide LTE to customers other than its own contract customers that ST wouldn't be the first. Verizon prepaid or a Verizon spin off would. Walmart would probably like to peddle unlocked GSM Iphone 5c and 5s in store and on the web. They could then sell you ST, family mobile, t-mobile, att ....prepaid plans.

Service on Verizon towers in this area is worth significately more than the others(only LTE network, much stronger signal and coverage) This is true a lot of places. I really don't see how it makes sense for Verizon to provide LTE to ST here . Shooting themselves in the foot. Select markets only, maybe?

PS I don't really see a rosy long term for Verizon without a major change but not convinced they will do it. In fact, think they won't before major damage to their business happens.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Dan
    Ortonville, MI
    yes to st the st branded iphone 5 is a cdma phone only.

but many have found out you can use the phone on its gsm side.just like any other ihone you have to jump through some hoops to get mms to properly work.another thing if you call st and say you have a problem using it on there gsm/byod program they are gonna say no.

if you use the same phone as it was intended st will support the phone.

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Who is going to reprogram your ST Iphone 5 to use LTE? My understanding was the phone has to be reflashed to use verizon LTE and can't use any GSM LTE carrier.

I would seem to me that if Verizon were going to make a huge change in its strategy and provide LTE to customers other than its own contract customers that ST wouldn't be the first. Verizon prepaid or a Verizon spin off would. Walmart would probably like to peddle unlocked GSM Iphone 5c and 5s in store and on the web. They could then sell you ST, family mobile, t-mobile, att ....prepaid plans.

Service on Verizon towers in this area is worth significately more than the others(only LTE network, much stronger signal and coverage) This is true a lot of places. I really don't see how it makes sense for Verizon to provide LTE to ST here . Shooting themselves in the foot. Select markets only, maybe?

PS I don't really see a rosy long term for Verizon without a major change but not convinced they will do it. In fact, think they won't before major damage to their business happens.

I can explain more detail after it launches, but I'll leave it at this for now -- sometimes companies prefer to test certain products / ideas / technologies / concepts without putting them under their "flagship" brands where people expect flawless execution and quality (because, in most cases, they are paying a premium for the flagship brand)

LTE is "disabled" in the sense that the phone will operate with the LTE sim being inserted, but the feature is a hardware feature that is still encoded in -- all it requires is a carried bundle re-designation and the full profile is enabled (as it is already installed in the software, again, just hidden) -- if you're techy at all and already have one of the phones, you can load it up to your computer and navigate through DiskAid to the system settings / carrier bundle / .prl files and see that LTE is very much alive and well in the software and hardware, just "hidden" -- the switch would require inserting an LTE sim that triggers a carrier bundle (or, alternatively, activates one line of code in the TFW .prl file) and the LTE connection is alive and kicking. (think of the info embedded in the SIM this way -- when you pop a T-Mobile sim into the ST iPhone, it searches then connects and the carrier at the top says "T-Mobile" because the phone knows that when a TMo sim is inserted, the Tmo carrier bundle should be activated)

All that being said, I'm not sure exactly what method ST is going to use to trigger the LTE connection when they start shipping the SIMS, but my guess is as described above -- either a very small OTA update to the carried bundle or simply embed the necessary trigger in the SIM itself.

Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    yes to st the st branded iphone 5 is a cdma phone only.

but many have found out you can use the phone on its gsm side.just like any other ihone you have to jump through some hoops to get mms to properly work.another thing if you call st and say you have a problem using it on there gsm/byod program they are gonna say no.

if you use the same phone as it was intended st will support the phone.
    When you insert the AT&T sim, you can enter the MMS settings you need (since this is a Verizon phone, the AT&T sim is equivalent to the TMo "Sim swap" you have to do on the AT&T phones) -- the lack of support will generally be the case though as mentioned.

Also, an often overlooked perk of using the ST iPhone is that the native Visual Voicemail will work be default once you activate the phone which is very, very handy in my personal experience.

That said, if AT&T coverage will suffice and you are ok with paying full price, the iPhone 5S may be a better option for some -- I haven't looked into it in detail, but I remember hearing somewhere that 5S can get LTE on both AT&T and Verizon with the same model -- like I said, not 100% on that but remember hearing it. Will be a no-go for LTE on the Verizon side though whenever ST ultimately launches the program but you will be able to get AT&T LTE on it now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deathcab View Post

When you insert the AT&T sim, you can enter the MMS settings you need (since this is a Verizon phone, the AT&T sim is equivalent to the TMo "Sim swap" you have to do on the AT&T phones) -- the lack of support will generally be the case though as mentioned.

Also, an often overlooked perk of using the ST iPhone is that the native Visual Voicemail will work be default once you activate the phone which is very, very handy in my personal experience.

That said, if AT&T coverage will suffice and you are ok with paying full price, the iPhone 5S may be a better option for some -- I haven't looked into it in detail, but I remember hearing somewhere that 5S can get LTE on both AT&T and Verizon with the same model -- like I said, not 100% on that but remember hearing it. Will be a no-go for LTE on the Verizon side though whenever ST ultimately launches the program but you will be able to get AT&T LTE on it now.
    AT&T version of 5S will give you highspeed data on all bands but GSM version of the phone will not activate on Verizons Network since verizon would never allow it even if you could get the cdma portion working and provide an esn to them. If you buy the verizon version of the 5s that is the one you want. You will get high speed on AT&T, T-mobile and since it is the verizon version you can activate it on verizon as well and get native coverage. You need the verizon version of the iphone 5s since it is unlocked due to FCC regulation with LTE and 700mhz spectrum block.