Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Service charges/costs for "Tracfone" Android phones.

Feedback Score

Service charges/costs for "Tracfone" Android phones.

I just thought it would be better to discuss the New Tracfone Android Service Charges in a separate thread instead of dispersed among specific phone threads, etc.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this, but it sounds like a fair deal too me. The way I am looking at it is that we used to pull everything from one bucket and now with these new Android phones each bucket is filled triple the card value, so I have to say it is a little hard to complain?
    A 200 minute card used to give you 600 total and now you get 1800 total, right? It just seems they just increased text cost to cover data costs which sounds reasonable. You have 600 min and if you sent 600 text that would have pulled 180 minutes from your bucket and now that is not the case. So a 200 minute card @ $040/1800= $.022 min/txt/MB. Not bad!
    All this still rolls over if you top up after 90 days, right?
    How do they charge for MMS
    I will say that you should be able to pull from other buckets when one runs out though, but it does appear that minutes will be pulled from other buckets or am I wrong on that?

Feedback Score
    The triple triple applies only to the HSN pin applied to the HSN phone.

Regular minute cards just triple.

The buckets operate separately. They have said that a thousand times, and someone even did an experiment to verify the text bucket at least.

Feedback Score
    Guess that is why I posted this thread, so we could discuss the charges associated with these new phones instead of having to dig through threads about specific phones to find this info, eh? And no it was not said a thousand times. Like I posted, I am still trying to wrap my head around this new system so don't get so pissy! What you say makes no sense, I never even mentioned triple triple? It shows right on the box that all buckets are tripled when you add a card?
    Last edited by pfoneguy; 09-29-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Misunderstood the rant above

Feedback Score
    Yeah. When you buy a say 60 minute card, my understanding is that you will get 180 minutes, 180 texts & 180 MB of data. Is that not so?

Feedback Score
    I thought somebody had posted an image of the back of the Centura's packaging. Now I can't find it.
    Does anybody have a link?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    I thought somebody had posted an image of the back of the Centura's packaging. Now I can't find it.
    Does anybody have a link?
    It does state what you posted for pricing, on the box. Actually its on the front flap of the box that opens up.

Its supposed to be the same for any time card, not just HSN.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Attached is a photo of the cover with it showing the minutes tripled and triple split. Its what HSN stated also.

Name:  TF.jpg
Views: 2976
Size:  95.8 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tc93 View Post
    Attached is a photo of the cover with it showing the minutes tripled and triple split. Its what HSN stated also.
    But to be clear, the triple triple is NOT just for phones bought from HSN and not just for PINs acquired through HSN. It is a permanent feature of all Tracfone Androids including those purchased through HSN, retail at Best Buy or Target or Kmart, shopcelldeals, and presumably purchased used. Just think of it like TMFL, except that in the case of the Androids, instead of just TMFL, it is TMFL/TMFL/TMFL.

AND THE TRIPLE TRIPLE EVEN APPLIES TO MINUTES TRANSFERRED FROM ANOTHER TRACFONE.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    But to be clear, the triple triple is NOT just for phones bought from HSN and not just for PINs acquired through HSN. It is a permanent feature of all Tracfone Androids including those purchased through HSN, retail at Best Buy or Target or Kmart, shopcelldeals, and presumably purchased used. Just think of it like TMFL, except that in the case of the Androids, instead of just TMFL, it is TMFL/TMFL/TMFL.

AND THE TRIPLE TRIPLE EVEN APPLIES TO MINUTES TRANSFERRED FROM ANOTHER TRACFONE.
    That's how it worked for me. Also, at least so far if you add valid bonus codes, it does not add anything but service days. I had to call to have the minutes, texts and data added.

Feedback Score
    The point about this being the standard rate structure for all the Android phones wherever purchased is valid, and important.

Referring to it as "TMFL/TMFL/TMFL" or "TRIPLE TRIPLE" is oversimplifying. It is overstated for texts and understated for data.

With the most recent generation of pre-Android TMFL phones, each unit in the phone's bank could be used for
    1 minute talk OR 3.3 texts OR .067 meg data
    Thus each unit added to the phone, when tripled, could be used for
    3 minutes talk OR 10 texts OR .2 meg data
    This compares on the Android to
    3 minutes talk AND 3 texts AND 3 meg data

So, in the context of previous products, that would more accurately be described as
    3x talk / .909x texts / 45x data

Still a great deal except for those whose mix is heavy on text.

As I understand, only the pseudo-triple (adding to all buckets at 1x/.3x/15x) applies to transferred minutes - they are not also tripled.

Feedback Score
    phone_bob,
    Correct, assuming one is transferring minutes from a triple minutes Tracfone (which had it's minutes tripled when they were added to that phone).

Two different uses of the word triple flying around. One refers to the tripling of the face value of an airtime card, then second is the triple buckets on an Android phone that each get X units, where X is the tripled face value of the airtime card's base unit value.

So a 400 minute card becomes 400 minutes x 3 = 1200 minutes for a triple minutes Tracfone = 1200 mins/1200 texts /1200 Mb for triple buckets Android Tracfone.

A triple minutes Tracfone with 1200 minutes on it used to do a phone transfer would become a 1200 mins/1200 texts /1200 Mb Android Tracfone.

Quote Originally Posted by phone_bob View Post
    As I understand, only the pseudo-triple (adding to all buckets at 1x/.3x/15x) applies to transferred minutes - they are not also tripled.
    Cheers!

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Since it is relevant to this thread, I will past my post from the other thread so people don't have to wade through the other post to find it.

I activated a VA phone that I have had for several years. Got 20 minutes and 365 days of service.Then used the Tracfone site & transferred to the Centura. The screen showed 20 min. /20 texts /20 mb data for the new phone balance with the 365 days of service.

Since the old phone was GSM, I had to wait for the port to complete Port and activation complete. Took less than one hour to complete the port. I dialed *22890 and programming was complete. Checked the balance and the balance is 20/20/20 with an expiration date of 9/28/2014. I also received the text message verifying the balance. You must place one call before the service is active on the phone. It will not receive anything until you do.

This isn't going to be a good plan for texters

I sent twenty texts. Message twenty one returned a message " You have insufficient funds to send message"
    When a message is sent to the phone after text balance is zero, it receives a text message " You have insufficient funds to send message". You must have a balance in the text tank it you want to send or receive texts. You can still make voice calls and use data after the text tank is empty, but you must buy and add airtime to replenish a text balance if you want to send or receive sms using your cellular number.

I installed the “Google Voice” app (free) and “GV SMS Integration Free” (free).
    Sending free texts from the native messaging app on wifi worked. I couldn’t get the receiving texts to come to the native messaging app. They came to the GV app fine.I uninstalled “GV SMS Integration Free”, and installed “Google Voice SMS Integration” ($4.99, bought previously for another phone). Made all the settings same as with the free version and then it all works great. Outgoing texts are sent using my Google Voice number and incoming texts to my Google Voice number are pushed to the native messaging app by the Google Voice app.

I do have to manually start the GV app every time after a reboot or it doesn't receive the message. I am used to the iPhone version where you just need the GV app installed and never touch it.

I turned off wifi and turned on cellular data.
    Sent two text messages (sending "over cellular" and receiving "yes"); and now my data balance is 19.83 mb. That is <6 texts per MB of data.
    Since you can't add just texts, If you add a 300 mb data card for $10 just to send texts you should be able to send 1500 to 1800 texts. That is about a half cent per
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Feedback Score
    jimates,
    Thanks for doing this research and posting the results.

When you turn cellular data on, do other apps start using the cellular network? If so, what's a smart way to keep them from doing that aside from turning Sync off.

Assuming a 400 min/1 year card costs $80 and a 250 min bonus card, 0.3 minutes / text - that would be 8000/(1450/0.3) = 8000/(4833 texts) = 1.66 cents per text.

Is this correct: 0.17 Mb for two texts? So a $10 card for 300 Mb would be:
    1000/(300/0.17) = 1000/(1764 pair of texts) = 0.57 cents per two texts or 0.28 cents per text.

So a $10 card can do 1764 pairs of texts or 3528 texts - not bad. It would be good to gather more data and confirm 0.17 Mb for two texts if I understood your post correctly.

Lemme know if I made any gross math errors above. I realize costs for airtime cards varies with discounts, etc.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Found an issue with GV for text messages.

No Weather Channel alerts. (no ESPN if you are into that)
    Something to do with Sprint and fees for short codes.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by ST Dog; 10-01-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    jimates,
    Thanks for doing this research and posting the results.

When you turn cellular data on, do other apps start using the cellular network? If so, what's a smart way to keep them from doing that aside from turning Sync off.

Assuming a 400 min/1 year card costs $80 and a 250 min bonus card, 0.3 minutes / text - that would be 8000/(1450/0.3) = 8000/(4833 texts) = 1.66 cents per text.

Is this correct: 0.17 Mb for two texts? So a $10 card for 300 Mb would be:
    1000/(300/0.17) = 1000/(1764 pair of texts) = 0.57 cents per two texts or 0.28 cents per text.

So a $10 card can do 1764 pairs of texts or 3528 texts - not bad. It would be good to gather more data and confirm 0.17 Mb for two texts if I understood your post correctly.

Lemme know if I made any gross math errors above. I realize costs for airtime cards varies with discounts, etc.
    $20 for 750MB data card: 2000/(750/0.17) = 0.45 cents per two texts = 0.23 cents per text. 8823 texts.

$50 for 2GB = 2048MB data card: $50/(2048/0.17) = 0.415 cents per two texts = 0.21 cents per text. 24,094 texts

Above calculations are based on 0.17 MB per two texts on Tracfone Android as
    jimates reported.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast