Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop Phone is Now Available

Feedback Score

FreedomPop Phone is Now Available

As of now, there is only 1 phone is available. Phone is a wimax device. What data speeds is required for voip? It cannot be LTE since the device is not LTE. Looks like it must be 3g since wimax coverage would not be widespread enough for a nationwide rollout. This is speculation on my part though.

HTC Evo Design $99 (retails for $199 according to them. Inflated retail price or introductory price???)
    --------------------------------------------
    CPU Speed: MSM 8655 1.2GHz + SQN1210 (WIMAX)
    Memory ROM: 4GB eMMC, 8GB SDCard, RAM: 768MB
    Camera: SMP color CMOS with auto focus support 5 MP back camera, 1.3 MP forward facing
    Connectivity: Bluetooth 3.0 + High Speed, WIFI: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, 3.5mm stereo audio jack. micro-USB
    Battery: 1520 mAh

PLANS

Basic 200 - $0
    ----------------
    200 minutes
    500 texts
    500mb 4g/3g data

Premium 500 - $7.99
    ------------------------
    500 minutes
    Unlimited Texts
    500mb 4g/3g data

Unlimited - $10.99
    ----------------------
    Unlimited Voice
    Unlimited Texts
    500mb 4g/3g data

Overage data 2.5 cents per megabyte.

Trial offer of 1gb 4g/3g data will be given if you click on the green box. 1gb data would cost $9.99 after the trial period. Clicking "No thanks" if you wish to forgo the trial.

On order form, the default is Visual Voicemail $2.49 is checked. Tax is charged. Shipping is also charged and gives me an estimated delivery time of 1-2 weeks.
    Last edited by Conan Edogawa; 10-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Carrier
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    I have an HTC Evo 4G and I was really hoping for BYOD and roaming. If they offered roaming for a fee I'd be even more interested and I want to know the voice quality over Sprint 3G, and if Google Voice will work on it since it uses data only.

Will this not work in sprint 2g areas where 3g isn't working at all or is there no 1x except for roaming on Sprint?

Phones
    Android
    LG Optimus L9
    Carrier
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Somehow I missed the visual voice mail add on, and I can't find where on their website to drop the service.

Edit: NM finally found where to deactivate it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post
    Overage data 2.5 cents per megabyte.

Trial offer of 1gb 4g/3g data will be given if you click on the green box. 1gb data would cost $9.99 after the trial period. Clicking "No thanks" if you wish to forgo the trial.

On order form, the default is Visual Voicemail $2.49 is checked. Tax is charged. Shipping is also charged and gives me an estimated delivery time of 1-2 weeks.
    Just ordered my phone! They'll have byod later, I hope. (I have hopes for a nexus 5)

I'm not sure this will work as my main phone, we'll just have to see. I'm just worried about coverage. I dropped sprint about 10 years ago because of coverage problems.

It has the cheapest pay as you go rates for calling that I've seen - 2 cents per minute with the first 200 free. I thought it was also 2 cents per megabyte (after the 500 free) not 2.5? That's what I saw on my account settings... I'll probably never go over, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I wasn't charged tax, by the way. This must depend on your location and whether Freedompop has a "presence" in that state.

I turned off auto top-offs. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but there are a lot of negative comments posted about Freedompop overcharging people. I'll probably manually add some money to my account to cover an occasional overage.

I didn't see this on the Freedompop website, but I did read somewhere that calls to others on Freedompop were free. If this is right, I'll probably never go over the free 200 minutes per month. Most of my calls are to my wife or daughter and if I like the service I'll put them on the same plan.

I had thought the free data for adding friends was 50 MB, but it looks like it's only 10MB for the phone (or am I wrong and it was always only 10 MB? -- this is per friend per month, right?).

Feedback Score
    According to this PCMag article, "Calls between FreedomPop users are free." FreedomPop however had first stated the free service would have unlimited texts, so this feature needs verification.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425079,00.asp

Looks like the default for making calls is using wimax. Only when wimax is not available will the call be done using Sprint's 3g data network.

"The phones fall back on Sprint’s 3G CDMA networks, so they’ll work across the country, though the performance of VoIP on 3G might be a bit iffy. Stokols said that FreedomPop spent a lot of time optimizing its VoIP codecs to work on narrowband connections. Though the WiMAX network will produce better call quality, the service is designed to work across the 3G network."
    http://gigaom.com/2013/10/01/freedom...es-each-month/

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I'm a satisfied sprint user, but 3g voip on sprint is horrible (I've tried).

Carrier
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    I've tried VoIP on Sprint 3G before using GrooveIP and no one could ever understand me well.

Carriers
    Lumia 521 on Ptel
    Feedback Score
    I'm curious about a couple things on this phone:

* It has a SIM slot - can it be unlocked for use on GSM networks?
    * Since Freedompop is all about not having you use Sprint 3G, will this phone be able to make a voip call over WiFi?
    * Assuming I am in at least a Sprint 3G service area, can I tether a tablet to it?
    * If I stop using their service, does this phone become a useless brick like a Republic Wireless phone?

FYI I tried the sign up process on their site but I don't live in a Wimax service area and they wouldn't let me continue through the ordering process. If I enter an address in the Wimax service area it will let me continue... I might have to find a friend to lend me their address if I want to get one of these.
    Last edited by samatman; 10-01-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Ringplus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.33361/31.1475; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

this is not a good idea and why would they offer voip as the service. its a choice that's stupid.they could use towers like ringplus.im glad i didn't pass on ringplus for this. no boyd, no good.evo design is going cheap on ebay so $100 is over priced. get your refund.if people complain about ringplus which was free i can imagine what people are gonna say about freedompop

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samatman View Post
    FYI I tried the sign up process on their site but I don't live in a Wimax service area and they wouldn't let me continue through the ordering process.
    To make sure check here: http://www.clear.com/coverage

There is some service available in all lower 49 states, have to zoom in for smaller towns.
    Sensorly --- Signal Check Pro --- Root Metrics

$40 - Unlimited (Framily)
    $15 - 2GB Tablet Plan

HAVE YOU READ THE FORUM RULES??

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    * Since Freedompop is all about not having you use Sprint 3G, will this phone be able to make a voip call over WiFi?
    The screenshot of the device shows what looks like a csipsimple icon on the top left. If it is csipsimple, you should be able to use wifi calling as well.

FYI I tried the sign up process on their site but I don't live in a Wimax service area and they wouldn't let me continue through the ordering process. If I enter an address in the Wimax service area it will let me continue... I might have to find a friend to lend me their address if I want to get one of these.
    I put in a wimax address (my job) on the initial page and then filled out the shipping page with my home address. We'll see what happens.

Feedback Score
    It is going to be interesting to hear feedback on the voice quality. Seems like FreedomPop wants/hopes the user to be primarily on wimax for the best user experience. They say their audio codecs are optimized for the slower 3g speeds. We shall soon see if their users agree or not.

Carriers
    Lumia 521 on Ptel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    To make sure check here: http://www.clear.com/coverage
    That's where I checked after they aborted the ordering process. Actually if you are in a metro area, it looks like Wimax covereage isn't all that bad. Unfortunately, home is in a dead zone.

Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    The screenshot of the device shows what looks like a csipsimple icon on the top left. If it is csipsimple, you should be able to use wifi calling as well.
    That's good to know. I suspected they would be using embedded SIP like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    I put in a wimax address (my job) on the initial page and then filled out the shipping page with my home address. We'll see what happens.
    I'll probably give this a shot as well but maybe use work as the shipping address too just to be on the safe side. It is hard to imagine there would be any human oversight on service approval. Worst case is they compare billing or shipping zip codes to their known Wimax service area. I guess we'll find out. It's not like I am trying to "game" their system. But having their service when I am travelling is all I am looking for.

Feedback Score
    It seems like data only service, with text and voice handled by textfree / pinger, where call to other pinger users are free, but will cost 2 cents per minute if you call someone outside the network..

I doubt the 200 free minutes will include voice access of the network.. as a phone, I suspect a crappy voice quality, but for data and text, it would be as good as anything. I like the fact that they are not charging for 3G roaming, like they do for the hotspots.

We'll see what they will do... I would love to see that they would offer BYOSD, but I suspect there would be a fee for that, also..

Carrier
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm ok with a small fee for BYOD (as long as it's a one time fee). Give me a Nexus 5 and 11 service with unlimited talk, text, and 500MB of LTE and I'm a happy camper! I just hope they offer a small fee to add roaming. The reason I didn't use Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile, is because I want voice to work in roaming and data if I need it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast