Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop Phone is Now Available

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg View Post
    Don't return the phone. For 100 you get a mobile hotspot with free data and it can be used for calls in good signal areas.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Has anybody gotten wifi "tethering" to work on this phone/service? I tried the built-in app and also tried pdanet+ and I couldn't get a connection to work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Feedback Score
    In playing with Google Voice, I overwrote my voicemail number for the FreedomPop voicemail switchboard. I believe this number should be the same for all customers. Could someone look in Settings > Call > Voicemail settings > Voicemail number and reply with the number there? Thanks!

Phones
    Samsung Fascinate(Galaxy S1), HTC Droid Incredible, Freedompop Photon Mifi
    Samsung Fascinate(Galaxy S1)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carriers
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know if rollover can be used with the plans for this phone?

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    FreedomPop has said that the HTC Design selling for $99 was an introductory price. Translation is that if & when the HTC Design shows up again as being in stock, the price will not be the same.

Company is also telling customers to download this app for improved call quality over 3g
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...op.phone&hl=en

Next, they are asking that people who are having battery problems contact them via email for a free replacement battery.

I do not know if everybody realized it or not, but FreedomPop considers their phone service as still being in beta.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RVaughn View Post
    Has anybody gotten wifi "tethering" to work on this phone/service? I tried the built-in app and also tried pdanet+ and I couldn't get a connection to work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    You're probably not doing anything wrong. There are others looking for some help with getting the hotspot working, myself included. FreedomPop is not answering these questions either.

Carriers
    Lumia 521 on Ptel
    Feedback Score
    Received phone yesterday. Phone is definitely used but lightly: a couple scuffs here and there. Worse than that was the fact it was dirty and covered with fingerprints. I mean... how hard is it to wipe it off with a soft cloth before boxing and shipping??

Battery issues seem the norm with this phone; it drains fast with all radios turned on. At home, with no cell signal, it seems to do much better on just wifi with 3G/4G turned off. I could live with this but you'd definitely want to travel with the charging cable when you leave the house.

Calls in 4G area worked OK. Calls on WiFi only work fine too! I haven't been able to test tethering yet and this is the reason we got the phone. Unfortunately, the phone has both hardware and software issues that are looking like a deal breaker even if all I wanted was a free 500MB tether. The screen has a dead spot right in the center that repeated calibration won't fix. There are a couple settings and apps (including the freedompop app that sits on the bottom left of the screen) I can't use as a result of simply not being able to register a touch on that portion of the screen. To make it worse, the entire phone goes crazy *frequently*, registering phantom key presses, changing screens, and the bottom hardware buttons become unresponsive.

I know the service is (mostly) free, but I'm definitely disappointed. $100 is still $100 and I expected a little more for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samatman View Post

I know the service is (mostly) free, but I'm definitely disappointed. $100 is still $100 and I expected a little more for it.
    My feelings exactly. Please let us know when/if you can get the hotspot working. There is lag during the voice calls, and my text messages aren't delivered. So this will become a hotspot for me (if it will ever work) or it's going back.

Carrier
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Is the voice usable over 3G or not really?

Feedback Score
    I set one of these up for my wife. The Messaging app that provides voip is most definitely a customized flavor of csipsimple. So far calls made using it do count against used minutes, but it is still reporting 0.0mb used against her data plan and we have used it on 3G for Pandora and many other things. So for whatever reason, it isn't counting data use against her data plan. Call quality on 3G is OK. The delay is noticeable but it gets the job done. We don't have 4G or wimax available in our location.

Battery life is terrible. My wife has to recharge at least once during the day to make it last the entire day and she doesn't use it much at all. I have found, though, that the Messaging app has a wakelock that it never releases, so the CPU isn't going into deep sleep. I use csipsimple on my Nexus 4 and it doesn't hold a wakelock, so this must be something that Freedompop is causing in their custom version.

Phones
    Android
    LG Optimus L9
    Carrier
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBoost View Post
    Things are ok in a static 4g area, but when I'm driving around, calls get garbled and/or drop every time I try. Not sure if that is from switching between 4g towers, or if the phone was jumping between 3/4g.

I've decided to return my phone. I can handle spotty data service, but I need solid calling.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I've tried VoIP on Sprint 3G before using GrooveIP and no one could ever understand me well.
    Did you try it with low-bandwidth codecs? That may be the secret sauce that FreedomPop is using.

Feedback Score
    In my experience, 3 or 4 bars (out of 5) gives decent call quality, but it's relatively noisy and there is a half - to one second lag on both ends of the line. Make a call on anything less than 3 bars and you'll start reminiscing about your scout campout in 1959 with those paper cups joined by a string.

Battery life is horrible. Thanks for the comments everyone. Mine is going back, too.

Phones
    LG Nexus 5
    LG Nexus 4
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    FYI, the Freedompop phone uses ilbc and pcmu

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    T-Mobile $30 Unlimited web and text with 100 minutes talk
    RingPlus Bella BYOSD $9.99 + tax Plan
    Lycamobile Pay As You Go 2c/min, 4c/text, 6c/MB 4G data

Phones
    Motorola i335
    IPhone 3G
    Sony Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Man, my phone is coming today and I've been really looking forward to it. But it seems like everyone hates it. I'm bummed.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phones
    LG Nexus 5
    LG Nexus 4
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Its not all that bad IMO. I wouldn't port my number or replace my current phone with it but as a second phone it's not that bad.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast