Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop officially launches free phone service, offers $99 HTC EVO

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

FreedomPop officially launches free phone service, offers $99 HTC EVO

When a user signs up and buys the EVO Design from FreedomPop, they gain access to 200 voice minutes, 500 text messages and 500MB of monthly data.
    More

http://www.androidauthority.com/free...design-278646/
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    #meh

Do any of the tiers actually ride on the Sprint 1xRTT voice network? From what I can tell, it's all VoIP on the WiMax network. A formula for a lot of returns and charge-backs.

Offering such an inferior voice service might ruin Freedompop's reputation. I currently subscribe to their $3.99/month 500MB Mobile hotspot plan. It rides on the Sprint 3G EVDO network.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    #meh

Do any of the tiers actually ride on the Sprint 1xRTT voice network? From what I can tell, it's all VoIP on the WiMax network. A formula for a lot of returns and charge-backs.

Offering such an inferior voice service might ruin Freedompop's reputation. I currently subscribe to their $3.99/month 500MB Mobile hotspot plan. It rides on the Sprint 3G EVDO network.
    Boy, you haven't kept up at all! It uses voip for voice only when it can and Sprint's voice when it can't. And do remember Sprint Lte on FP will be here shortly, no more WIMAX.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What a good deal huh? $99 for a phone that will soon be useless. I think this is just a way to sell off handsets.
    Timmy G

Redwood Valley, CA (Mendocino County, NW CA)
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, LG K20 V, Nexus 6, Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, FreedomPop 4G is not yet
    available at this location.

, Redwood Valley, CA 95470

Please try another address

Now, if Clear ever allows people to subscribe to and actually use their "protection" site here in the Ukiah area, then we might have something. Sprint doesn't have service in Mendocino County, so no go with them. Elsewhere across the North State, they also have "protection" sites up in Santa Rosa, Eureka and Yuba City, all live, but nobody can use them, though those other cities do have Sprint service. For NorCal, FreedomPop only has service in the Bay Area and Sacramento, but not a thing north of those two cities, pretty much leaving most of NorCal uncovered.

Attachment 98894

The pin is good ole Redwood Valley I guess the Freedom part comes from being free from their coverage LOL

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    Sorry, FreedomPop 4G is not yet
    available at this location.

, Redwood Valley, CA 95470

Please try another address

Now, if Clear ever allows people to subscribe to and actually use their "protection" site here in the Ukiah area, then we might have something. Sprint doesn't have service in Mendocino County, so no go with them. Elsewhere across the North State, they also have "protection" sites up in Santa Rosa, Eureka and Yuba City, all live, but nobody can use them, though those other cities do have Sprint service. For NorCal, FreedomPop only has service in the Bay Area and Sacramento, but not a thing north of those two cities, pretty much leaving most of NorCal uncovered.

Attachment 98894

The pin is good ole Redwood Valley I guess the Freedom part comes from being free from their coverage LOL
    Sprint/Clear/Prepaid/MVNO subscribers have the ability to connect to 'Protection Sites'.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, LG K20 V, Nexus 6, Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    Sprint/Clear/Prepaid/MVNO subscribers have the ability to connect to 'Protection Sites'.
    I didn't know that, thanks! Everytime I check on coverage for Clear on their site though, it gives me this message-

Attachment 98984

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    These are the Ukiah, Santa Rosa and Yuba City protection sites-

Attachment 98986

Eureka protection site-

Attachment 98987

If you check on the coverage in Eureka, Santa Rosa and Yuba City, you get the same "there is coverage, but you can't use it" message. Maybe things are messed up because of Sprint taking over Clear.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    If you check on the coverage in Eureka, Santa Rosa and Yuba City, you get the same "there is coverage, but you can't use it" message. Maybe things are messed up because of Sprint taking over Clear.
    They do not want it part of the retail marketing so to speak, leaving it available for existing users. People have posted nice speeds over on S4GRU.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4-...-confirmation/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score

Vancouver

They do not want it part of the retail marketing so to speak, leaving it available for existing users. People have posted nice speeds over on S4GRU.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4-...-confirmation/

Got ya, that makes sense. It doesn't look like anybody's reported on Ukiah yet though, searching that thread gives me this-
    No results found for 'ukiah'.

I don't have Clear, and I don't know anybody that does, so I can't really report any info in that thread. They don't cover north of Ukiah, I live 8 miles north in Redwood Valley, so even if I did have them I couldn't use it at home. Their coverage in Ukiah sure looks spotty, do they only have one site up?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timvideo View Post
    What a good deal huh? $99 for a phone that will soon be useless. I think this is just a way to sell off handsets.
    They hint that BYOD is coming eventually.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My Evo arrived today. It was a snap to set up. The phone service is SIP-based. I've never owned an HTC handset before, so I find the interface, with that "ring" thing a little quirky.

The most unusual thing about the the phone is that it arrived rooted and set up for tethering. Freedompop really wants to help you use up your allocation of data and more.

Texting seems to be Internet-based. I was able to send and receive SMS over wifi, which I've never been able to do with Virgin Mobile.

I'm taking it slow and not handing the phone my Google credentials or turning on location services. I don't want the phone to blow through the allocation of data that was provided in the initial month of service.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I never use a screen lock. Hit settings then personalize.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I never use a screen lock. Hit settings then personalize.
    No Lock in the play store, it works great, but you have to restart the phone a few time for it to work.

Feedback Score
    Just out of curiosity did they send you a tracking information? I ordered mine and I still haven't received it yet. What carrier did they use UPS?

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast